Should I keep the grey/black fuel pump and red fuel line on my 80's Whisperlite International

Discussion in 'MSR - Mountain Safety Research' started by sfcacique, Feb 25, 2019.

1. sfcacique

sfcacique United States Subscriber

I have an 80's Whisperlite Internationale with very few actual hours on it. It is an earlier one with the red fuel line and grey/black fuel pump, as well as a grey (not silver/SIGG) MSR 22oz bottle. MSR has a great rebuild program that will repair/renovate/upgrade the stove and fuel pump. Well, actually the grey/black fuel pump is "obsolete" and would be replaced for $20. The fuel line would also be replaced under the stove maintenance/rebuild as it is about 30 years old and the design has changed.

Question is, should I put in a couple of extra bucks to save the grey pump, rebuild it myself, and buy a new fuel pump as well? Should I save the fuel line? Not for actual use, although the rubber is still pliable, I'm sure there is ABSOLUTELY NO POTENTIAL FOR CALAMITY in using a 30 year old rubber fuel line...

A bit of sentimental value, but it has been sitting in my garage for decades. Intent is to use the stove.

Interested in your advice and comments.
    Thanks

20190218_104850.jpg

20190218_115235.jpg

2. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

3. ArchMc

ArchMc SotM Winner Subscriber

I would save the fuel pump, but that's just me. I would use the stove in the field with one of the newer MSR pumps.

....Arch

4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Greetings, sfcacique,

If it were me, I'd keep the fuel pump, "just because", and buy a new MSR pump to use with this stove. However, as you may find, if you read more here at CCS, I am not a fan of this first version of the Internationale. Originally marketed as a true multifuel stove, which you could actually prime with kerosene, my wife and I bought ours back in 1990, and tried to use it on our first 850 miles of the PCT. Ours was failing, and clogging in short order, and NO amount of cleaning and maintenance could make it better! I was in touch with Mike Ridout, which was, at that time, head of the technical department at MSR, and told him that the stove was not reliable and that it was not vaporizing the kerosene well enough to keep the stove from clogging. Note that we were using it three times each day, and as we could no longer depend upon it, we replaced it with a Coleman 550B Multifuel, and it ran like a champ for the rest of our trip, with no problems whatsoever!! Mike, at MSR had admitted to me, finally, that the first version of the Internationale was never meant to be a TRUE multifuel stove, and should only be used with kerosene as an emergency measure!!

Later testing by myself, showed that the fuel generator loop was WAY too small, and that was why the stove was not doing well with kerosene. Add in priming with kero, too, as MSR had assured us we could, and well, it spelled an early death for that stove! IF you are going to burn nothing but white gas, the stove is OK, but the newer Internationale 600 is a MUCH better stove, and can quite happily burn kerosene!! Please note that, on ALL later MSR Multifuel stoves, the generator loops are MUCH bigger, and much better, than the skinny little thing on the first version, like yours.

As an aside, IF you want to use the stove regularly, I may, upon reflection, accept MSR's offer to change out your generator loop, and possibly the pump, too. I like the old grey pump, but it IS fragile, and will tend to snap the "ears" off itself, as time progresses. Go for the new upgrades, and you don't have to worry about your stove giving up on you, or the pump causing a huge, uncontrollable conflagration!!! Just my two cents, of course, but my long experience with this stove has proven, beyond a shadow of doubt, that is a poor design, and that all the later versions are FAR better. Good luck in your decision, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc