Sigg bottle top issue

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by winchman, Nov 29, 2019.

1. winchman

I have aSigg bottle with petrol in it but the plastic is swelling, have I got the wrong top? Where can I get a replacement that is ok with petrol?

2. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Is it a new Sigg? Maybe a water bottle?

3. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Is it actually Sigg or is it a knockoff?

4. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

Whoever thought that sigg should make water bottles that look identical to their fuel bottles should be put in a room with 6 of them 4 containing water and 2 fuel. Tell him he needs to drink from 4 of them and he has to drink from each one he touches

5. winchman

Not sure how can you tell the difference? I have Emailed Sigg so lets see if I get a reply?

6. SveaSizzler

SveaSizzler United States Subscriber

A genuine Sigg bottle will be stamped

SIGG
    switzerland

on the bottom of the bottle.

If they can't supply you with a new stopper, the MSR Expedition Fuel Bottle Cap is a perfect fit for the real SIGG, and is totally gasoline/fuel proof. SKU#29129.
    [I once tried storing white gas in a Chinese Sigg-lookalike water bottle. The plastic cap got soft.]
    Look for the MSR cap on Amazon.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  7. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

I don't believe Sigg has made fuel bottles for a number of years -- just water bottles. When they did make fuel bottles, as far as I know, they were all metal, though later ones had plastic tops.

....Arch

8. itchy

If IRC, a similar discussion came up not too long ago. In that case the OP apparently had more than one recently-purchased Sigg bottles leak fuel at the cap. He was unaware that Sigg bottle were now for water rather than fuel. They look much like, but are cheaper than, fuel bottles -- so this unfortunate issue will likely continue.

9. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Can you post a photo?

10. geeves

They are also lighter although as gasoline weighs less than water a full bottle of each ends up about the same.

11. SveaSizzler

I've been sourcing my Sigg and MSR fuel bottles from thrift stores. The SIGG bottles are vintage and the church ladies who run thrift stores have no clue as to their real value. E.G. a 1 L and .6 L never-used pair of clear aluminum bottles came into my [hot] hands at $2 apiece.

12. Marc

Marc Subscriber

13. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

OP has not been back since their last post yesterday.. I am sure, when they respond, we will get to the bottom of this.

14. boknasild

boknasild Subscriber

I do not have any SIGG fuel bottles for use with white gas stoves with external fuel bottle. But I have a few SIGG bottles for containing water or stove fuel. I do not think they can be pressurized. I bought them maybe 15 years ago. I'm not sure.
    The aluminum ones I use for fuel. The red ones for drinking water. I do not have the papers that came with the bottles. I can see that the smallest aluminium bottle is marked for fuel. For me it looks like the stopper is the same. Btw bought some new washers from Ross and they fit both.

Bjørn
    IMG_2508.JPG IMG_2512.JPG IMG_2509.JPG

15. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

15 years ago. 2004.
    Was SIGG making fuel containers then?
    This could be a very complicated topic.

16. Odd

Why would anyone choose to use SIGG® aluminium bottles for fuel
    - if they are questionable now? There's plenty of 'reputable brand'® fuel bottles (with
    good reputation among users!) on the market nowadays, and all fully fuel tolerable.
    Be it alcohol or petroleum based fuels.

And we all renew the O-rings/washers annually, don't we? :oops:
    Personally I can't see the problem...
    /Odd
    PICT8866C-72dpi.jpg

(I use Optimus, Primus and Trangia branded fuel bottles - and for decades I have never had
    problems with incompatibility with neither alcohol nor any petroleum based fuels (- so far).
    Oh yes; I use transparent 1 liter Nalgene Oasis bottles for my drinking fluids. They do look
    differently - and feels VERY differently in the dark...! 8])

17. geeves

Go back 10 or 20 years and sigg was the only manufacturer of fuel bottles. None of the bottles shown above or even the MSR bottle existed then. I believe the first MSR bottles were made by Sigg but dont know about now or the other brands. The Problem is that with the exception of the Triangia bottles they are still exactly the same shape as the original Sigg fuel bottle and now Sigg (and chinese copies) make drink bottles in that same shape. It would be very easy fumbling about in the dark to fill your stove with water and then drink from the other one.
    Just to make sure you are confused a local bulk retailer had some picnic ware from a Canadian company but made in China. The drink bottle is identical in size and shape to the Optimus 500ml bottle but half the weight. The company name in bold letters on the side is "FUEL"
    Its the existance of a bottle now made for water that is essentially identical to a bottle that has been used for decades for fuel that I have a problem with.

18. SveaSizzler

I use my 1973 vintage red SIGG bottle for wine [or water]. The clear ones for white gas. I don't have any remote fuel -- pump-in-bottle stoves. I do have one 22 oz and an 11 oz of the red MSR bottles [also $1.99 each from Goodwill] that I can use if I ever get an MSR stove.

19. SveaSizzler

@geeves There is a cleaning product called Goof-Off that will remove unwanted silkscreened markings from aluminum bottles. Probable MEK/Acetone.

20. afoton

My Optimus and MSR branded fuel bottles are bought in 2000. They have different shapes than Sigg bottles, so I don't think Sigg made them. My newest Sigg branded fuel bottle was bought some years later.
    I have never used a Sigg bottle as a drinking bottle. After 30 years with stove fuel on those bottles, my mouth do not want to touch a bottle that looks and feels like a fuel bottle. But I think I read somewhere long time ago, that the threads are not the same for the drinking bottles… Can someone that have both fuel bottles and drinking bottles confirm or deny it?