Sigg Tourist Question

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Rich_S, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Rich_S

Not strictly a stove question, but I hope it's ok for this forum.

I've been on a bit of a Sigg Tourist buying spree lately. I've gotten 4 complete sets off the evil auction site over the past couple of months at very good prices.

One of the sets is different from the other three in a couple of ways. 1) The aluminum is a different shade, more of a dull gray than a shiny silver and 2) this set has Sigg Switzerland stamped on the bottom of every piece, along with the large Sigg Tourist stamped into the side of the lid/pan. The other sets only have the Sigg Tourist on the side of the lid/pan.

Any ideas? From an earlier batch?

BTW, a Svea 123 with the Sigg Tourist is quickly becoming my favorite combo.

2. Normo

Can't help you with info on the SIGG, but I have a Svea 123R with the smaller Optimus 88 cook set (aluminium) - used to use it all the time when motorcycle touring. It is well designed and an absolute pleasure to use. The 88 is a smaller version of the Tourist.

Luck was smiling on me and when on holiday some 20 years ago in Tasmania, I came across another 88 in an outdoors shop. It had been on the shelf a long time and I bought it for the right price "in case." It remains unused to this day (and I also have a spare spare new small pot for it.)

Now I want to get a stainless Tourist set and another 123(R). Enjoy!!!

Norm

3. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Morning, Rich,

Like you, I have "more than a few" Sigg Tourist Cook Sets, and like you, and many others here at CCS, consider them the absolute tops when matched with a good SVEA 123, or 123R!! All of my own Sigg kits have "Sigg, Switzerland" stamped in the bottom of each piece, except the one in stainless steel, when has no stamping at all. But, I know it's a Sigg product, because we bought it many years ago, and still have the original Sigg box in which it came. As to color, some of my Sigg kits are slightly different from each other, but not enough that I would have thought about it. Not much help on the color, I'm afraid. Congrats on owning a nice stable of Sigg kits, though! well done!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

4. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

I have a few of these sets and I think they are the tops when going backpacking. Nice big pots and a great windscreen for outdoor cooking.

I looked at mine and I only have one set where all the pieces are stamped SIGG.

One thing that it could be too, is that there are knock-offs made in other countries of a little less quality material that look identical and fit in the SIGG set but are NOT SIGG and not stamped anything but the origin country. I have one set like that. It still performs quite well and you couldn't tell it wasn't a SIGG until you come up empty on the stamping, especially on the pan-lid.

sam

5. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

Any idea where to get the pots from. I picked up a clone many years ago with everything except to pots. Only paid 10 bucks but Ive been looking for pots ever since. Its as good as useless without the pots

6. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Greetings, All,

Back when Colin Fletcher was actively penning backpacking books and stories, he mentioned a Sigg clone that was then being made in Taiwan. His comments were not too flattering, but in truth, over the years since he wrote them, those same cooksets have proved to be just fine, according to owners who have used them regularly.

A&H was selling the Taiwanese Sigg clone sets for a while, but that's been ages ago. And, they later had a "found" shipment of the real Sigg Tourist cooksets, too, but those sold out very quickly. We have one Sigg set in stainless steel, probably 6 aluminum Sigg sets, and two Optimus 88N sets, and all work very well. We prefer cooking in aluminum, however, as stainless steel, unless combined with aluminum, as in the Trangia DuoSSol and Sigg INOX pot sets, is a poor cooking vessel and needs constant attention so your food doesn't burn.

I used the look down in the Taiwanese Sigg clones, but after hearing what many owners have said about them, and after seeing a few in person, I think they are safe and good to use, if you can find one.

Geeves, I might have a single large Sigg pot and lid, without the windscreen setup, but I'll have to check and see if it's still down in the Hobbit Hole. If you would like it, it's yours. It's only one pot, but hey, that's better than nothing, right?!! Give me a shout, if you're interested, and I'll see if I still have that orphan Sigg pot and lid.

Great sets, the Sigg offerings, and well worth seeking out, purchasing, and using often! We love them with either a SVEA 123, or, with the proper Sigg set, a Coleman Model 400 or 550B underneath it!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

7. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

Geeves, I might have a single large Sigg pot and lid, without the windscreen setup, but I'll have to check and see if it's still down in the Hobbit Hole. If you would like it, it's yours. It's only one pot, but hey, that's better than nothing, right?!! Give me a shout, if you're interested, and I'll see if I still have that orphan Sigg pot and lid.

The big pot is probably the one I would use most If I had it. If it turns up send me a PT with the cost to post to New Zealand and how I can pay you
    thanks

8. Pietromax

How about the Eiger Swiss made cooksets any info on them? They looks similar with the sigg sets.