SIGG TRAVELLER

Discussion in 'Sigg' started by Alcoholic, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Alcoholic Australia

I have just acquired the same set {as this: SIGG TRAVELLER Switzerland admin edit}

image.jpg

Some other pertinent facts:
    - Large SS pot nests outside a set of Trangia 25 pots but the inner SS pot does not nest on the inside. Won’t fit in a Trangia 25 either way. Trangia 25 pots are a little wobbly in this system but still seem to work.
    - Strap buckle is plastic rather than metal but strap is good quality. No spring.
    - In my example, some paint has already burnt off the bottom windshield and the burner didn’t have a plastic bag so some electrolysis was evident. It appears to have only been used once and likely incorrectly but painting the windshields seems like a silly idea regardless.
    - The simmer ring doesn’t allow simmer adjustment- a big negative but I can use a Trangia burner instead if needed.
    - Windshields don’t lock together- they just sit on each other with a recess. Not as elegant…
    - SS frypan nests nicely with a Trangia 25 frypan, which is likewise a bit wobbly on the supports but doable. Won’t stack away like that though.
    - Came with a red o-ring gasket for the burner but it fell apart on touching it. Not sure if a Trangia gasket would fit and stay alcohol tight but it appears so.

I can see why these weren’t a commercial success but it will do the job for car camping. The Trangia is better for a number of reasons. A big attraction for me though is the ability to use the SS outer pot for dry baking, which i am always a bit nervous doing with the Trangia, even in Duossal due to the aluminium.

Haven’t tried the burner out yet but it looks awfully familiar despite having a sigg logo…

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2021
  2. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

Dang. Something else I didn't know I needed

3. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

@Alcoholic,

I have a Sigg burner, and in my own tests, the Trangia burner beats he tar out of the Sigg burner. For what it's worth.....

Doc

4. Alcoholic Australia

Thanks @Doc Mark - good to know. I see a test in my future to try and quantify this. Now that I think of it, the holes in this burner do seem to be a bit smaller…

5. SveaSizzler

SveaSizzler United States Subscriber

I would be interested in seeing the Sigg cooker set up for comparison.

6. Alcoholic Australia

By request…

image.jpg image.jpg

Comparison with a modern Trangia 25/21 UL / Duossal
    image.jpg

image.jpg

There are no wind shield holes for a gas or multi fuel burner…

7. Alcoholic Australia

Trangia frypan nested in sigg frypan…
    image.jpg

Pot grips…

image.jpg

Sigg outer pot nests Trangia pots but sigg inner pot is odd man out…

image.jpg

Burners and simmer rings…

image.jpg

8. Alcoholic Australia

Burner details…

image.jpg

Trangia lower windshield nests in sigg equivalent… upper is similarly smaller but the pot supports prevent nesting.

image.jpg

Electrolysis between the brass burner and stainless pots seems pretty resistant to most remedies. I have a ziplock bag for the burner now…

image.jpg

9. Alcoholic Australia

image.jpg No locking tabs on sigg lower windscreen and it has a bigger windscreen holes all around.

10. Alcoholic Australia

Pot support differences…

image.jpg

11. Alcoholic Australia

The strap is easier on the sigg…

image.jpg

12. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Convergent evolution? Or outright imitation....

13. Doc Mark

@Alcoholic ,

Many thanks for your wonderful report, and photos! When I tested the Sigg burner against the Trangia, I used the burners, with a stand, and not in an actual cook kit. So, I look forward to seeing the results of your comparison of the two burners, respectively, in their designed kits!! Will the Trangia reign supreme, or will the Sigg show it's capabilities when used in it's actual cook set?!?! The excitement builds......!!! ;):thumbup::thumbup: Thanks, again, for sharing. Good luck, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

14. SveaSizzler

SveaSizzler United States Subscriber

Thanks. Alcoholic. I like my Sigg Tourist for the 123, but Trangia wins for alco burners.
    Ed-- I think it's different enough to muddy the waters in a patent suit.

15. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

Very nice comparison, thank you.

The flip up simmer ring on the Sigg is nice.

My (older?) 25 has a strap retainer much like the Sigg. I can see why folks aren't fond of the new pressed out version on the Trangia.

16. Scrambler

Scrambler Australia Subscriber

My Trangia 25s are an early 80s and late 80s- the later one has pressure appliances holes and the windscreen locking tabs but the earlier has specs like this Sigg. And both have riveted strap retainers. My apx late 1990s 27 has the stamped strap retaining slots.

On the copy question, the features of the Sigg would match the Trangia 25 of through to the late 1980s. At that point Trangia began locking the 2 halves of the windshield together, added pressure burner access and had optional non-stick pans (with red outers).

Do we have a date on the Sigg setup? I am suggesting that if they were meeting the established brand but with each item looking like it was better, this was highly competitive until the late 80s. And it is hard to see why you wouldn't put holes in your aluminium if that was the only marketing edge you gave your competitor.

17. Doc Mark

Evening, @Scrambler ,

I'm not sure if this is what you are seeking, but Sweet Bride and I found a full set of Sigg Inoxal pots, at an Adventure 16 backpacker's sale, back in the 1990's. I just dug out the boxes, and two of the three are dated 1995. One had a label from 6/2/95, and one other was from 3/23/95. So, I'm guessing, since A16 was a top of the line store back then, the 1995 date is fairly reliable. For what it's worth. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

18. Scrambler

Scrambler Australia Subscriber

Thanks @Doc Mark.

Yes, the general report is "1990s" which surprises me a little because if it is supposed to beat the Trangia sets, it matches or exceeds in every point, but only if compared to the older design. Which seems odd.

Unless it was simply to avoid any appearance of copying a feature newer than apx 1970.

I was still scoffing at Trangias back then. I wasn't paying any attention to the competition.

19. Alcoholic Australia

The seller for this one didn’t know but said his parents bought it new from the “Anaconda” chain of stores here. Just checking their website, they only opened their doors in 2004, so that seems a bit odd. Could have been a relatively long lived model with low sales.

The set and S/S pot are typically high Swiss quality but I have no idea why they made the inner pot so much smaller than the outer pot, with the associated steps in the pot stands. It means there is a lot more rattling than a Trangia, which is bad enough for that, absent some interwoven dish wipes.

It will be awhile before I get around to any burner testing- got a busy few weeks coming up with kids camps and so on. But it’s on my “to do” list…

20. Doc Mark

For what it's worth, @Scrambler and @Alcoholic , my wife and I LOVE the Sigg Inoxal pots and their stainless lids. They are a tad on the heavy side, BUT, cooking in them is a pure joy! The clean-up is exceedingly easy, too, and they are robust in use. We've used our three pot set since we bought it back in those days, and it's still awfully hard to beat. I need to do a direct comparison between the Sigg Inoxal, and the Trangia Duossal. Both are great but I've never compared them, side by side. Hummm....! :-k :-k

Doc