Silence burner

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by JP2, Dec 5, 2018.

1. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

Hi all
    I am looking for a silence burner and most of the time they don't give any information about sizes. Are they any trick or in, by looking a picture that can guide me, on a guess, to go forward and maybe try it?
    Thank

2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hi, @JP2 ,

Do you mean, just the burner, itself, of the whole stove? If you mean just a silent burner, here is a link to some Optimus burners, which will help you see the various sizes of each burner, and to read about what stoves they fit. Also, you can see both silent burners, and roarer burners in this information. I hope this helps, but please let me know if you need more specific information.

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/1974-optimus-original-burners.9155/

Take care, Merry Christmas, and God Bless!
    Every Good Wish,
    Doc

3. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

@Doc Mark
    Thank, it help a lot, I need the silence burner 207 for my Primus 210. What I wanna do is to have a dome heater for emergency situation like in my vehicle in winter and for camping in summer.
    The one thing is it doesn't have any number on my Optimus burner on my primus 210 so I guess, in my research, I will have to go with burner dimension or stove size to see if it can fit on mine.
    Anyway thank again

4. boknasild

boknasild Subscriber

@JP2

To fit an adjustable 207 burner to an Opt 00 you need a special riser tube and maybe longer potlegs.
    It depends.
    There is info re this setup on this site if you search for it.

Bjørn

5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, @JP2,

Ah, I see what you want to do, and yes, it can be done. But, as Bjørn so rightly said, you will have to get a special riser, and longer pot legs to make it happen. I've messed around with this same setup, and my only remaining problem are that I don't have any pot legs that work well with it, and I have not uet made any for myself.

Also, remember, that Primus offered a lot of burners, just like Optimus. Look here and you can see the differences between them:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/1930s-primus-burners-overview.21383/

Here are some quick snaps of two of my Primus 210 stoves, each with a different riser setup.

1932 Primus 210 - note the way the riser fits onto the stove:

1932-210.jpg

Now, check out this 1955 Primus 210, as it has a completely different type of riser:

1955-210.jpg

So, which type of riser to you have with your 210?

Also, you will need an adapter which will allow you to use the larger silent burner, to your smaller attachment riser, which ever type you have. You can see that this can be complicated. But, it's still possible. Some time ago, we had several members who could custom make special brass risers for us, which would allow the use of larger burners, on smaller stoves, etc.. I'm not sure if any of our current members are actually making such a thing for sale, though, even though several of them have the talent and skills to do that.

I hope this helps you a bit, and please keep the questions coming, if you need more input. If I can find it, I'll take a photo of my own project like this, even though it's not completed yet. I found it! Check this link, and you can see what I have done, so far. Note that my larger, silent burner is the regulating type, but one could be used, just as easily.

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/my-optimus-00-silent-project.39204/

Good luck, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  6. boknasild

boknasild Subscriber

@Doc Mark
    @JP2
    Doc is correct I was too fast in replying. I have mostly Opt 00 as users so my mistake. If you have an early P 210 a non tapered riser tube is used.
    Then you can fit a #2011 riser tube. But then again you need to make some longer potlegs. I see that Base Camp has # 2011 in stock
    Sorry for the confusion

Bjørn

7. Afterburner

8. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

Hi, my Primus 210 is a 1933 of age so before 1935/36 so YES 2011 will go there but that riser is longer of the one already on my 210, why should I do that? One a minute, the burner thread are 13 mm, what are the thread size on a 207 burner? In the same token , bolt burners have the same output. ????
    BTW- 2011 riser fit perfectly on the tank of my Shinabro 680.

9. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi @JP2. Aren’t stoves complicated....

A No.210 stove has a one pint tank and a burner with a threaded connnector approx 13 mm diameter. The maximum theoretical heat output is approx 1.9kW or 6600BtU.

The larger 1.75 and 2 pint capacity stoves are bigger and have physically bigger burners, with a threaded connector diameter of approx 14.3mm diameter. The maximum theoretical heat output is about 2.8kW or 9500BtU.

So you will see the burners are not a straightforward swap.

If you wish to fit a big burner to a one-pint stove, such as your Pr.210 you need an adaptor riser to take the bigger burner thread diameter.

The bigger burner is also taller than the original Pr.210 burner so you need longer stove legs to raise the pot/ kettle the correct distance above the burner.

These adapted risers were never a stock item and had to be specially made or adapted from existing parts. There are also SAFETY CONSIDERATIONS since running a bigger burner on a small tank can over-heat and over-pressurise the small tank.

So the reason people have been asking questions about which particular stove and burner parts you are working with, was to best advise you on options.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

10. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@kerophile , George,

Thank you, as always, for helping to encapsulate good information into something that is definitely educational and helpful!! Well done, my friend!! It's lovely to always be able to count on you for helping in this excellent manner!! Thanks, again, and Merry Christmas to you and yours! God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

11. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Doc, thanks, as always, for your kind words.
    “Let us not be weary In well doing”
    Galatians 6:9.
    Season’s greetings,
    George.

12. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

Thank you everyone for your teaching,