Silent burner conversion for 96/17B type lipstick burner

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Twoberth, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Twoberth

Twoberth United Kingdom Subscriber

This was a 'keep active' project during these difficult times. I am sure similar conversions have been done before, but this just requires a washer and Primus No. 4 silent burner caps.

DSC09675.JPG DSC09667.JPG DSC09673.JPG DSC09664.JPG

A suitable size washer from any hardware store will do provided it sits snugly onto the bell shelf. Sand flat all the mating surfaces to maximise thermal feedback into the lipstick.

These photos were taken using a Monitor 17B tank and lipstick as the engine room, but with a Primus bell and flame plate roarer, and Primus No.4 caps for the silent conversion. (Monitor bell has a captive flame plate).

DSC09668.JPG DSC09672.JPG

With the snug fit of the washer into the bell, there was no tendency for underburn. In fact the silent burner lit normally from the priming flame.

The burner bell sides are not high enough to maintain enough thermal feedback without a pan, and the burner reverts to liquid feed after about 3 mins. However with a pan or kettle on slightly longer legs, the thermal feedback is improved and the silent burner runs normally.

Not sure what the benefit of a silent conversion is on a small camping stove other than making a quiet early morning brew - but it works and I kept busy and interested, and learned a bit more about kerosene burners in the process.

2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

3. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Nice job. I tried a washer on my UFO Radius to see if I could get the flame to run more blue, but not worth the effort. Thermal feedback is critical with these.
    Duane

4. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

5. Twoberth

Twoberth United Kingdom Subscriber

Thanks George.
    I must have read that post in the past, but I have difficulty remembering what I had for dinner last night. I wish I had your memory and/or bookmark retrieval discipline.