Simplistic Trangia questions

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Ed Winskill, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

There has been loads of Trangia discussion over the years and has been quite a bit lately.

I just have the Swedish milspec kit as my closest thing. I've told myself for years that I should buy a Trangia. One problem: I've never laid eyes upon one in my life, except in the spirit world... er, the cyber world.

Are these things actually sold in stores? If not, where's the best place in the US to order one? I want a basic full-size kit, not a bunch of exotic metals. You look at these kits online, and it's hard to figure out.

I don't want mini, don't want Clickstand (right now), don't want titanium, etc. What's the one to buy with these criteria, and where to buy it at a good price (I do want a new one).

Thanks for any help.

2. SNOWGOOSE

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  3. Ed Winskill

I do figure I'll have to buy one online, but I am curious if they are retailed in the US in stores.

Mostly, I'd like to know if anyone here has suggestions as to 1)what basic kit to buy (there seem to be infinite combinations) and, 2) which US seller might be the best source.

I know it's not all that hard to figure out, but someone may have valuable insights before I have to!

4. RonPH

Honestly, I have never seen one on a shelf on the retail sporting goods outlets I have visited over the years so your best bet would really by to buy it online from a reputable seller be it on fleabay or online store.

For me the Trangia Duossal, despite a little more weight is sturdier which I prefer because sometimes I get clutsy and aluminum does not really go well the way I handle them.

Ron

5. TMorita

I've seen a Trangia in the store at Redwood Trading Post in Redwood City, California.

So some stores do carry them,.

Toshi

6. M_Scout

Liberty Mountain (the US importer) directed me to campsaver.com. They have an assortment of different trangia sets and accessories but just not the particular set I was looking for.

Here is Trangia's website with all of the different sets they currently manufacture

Trangia

The most basic full size sets are the model 25-1 through model 25-6...it just depends if you want an aluminum kettle and/or a nonstick aluminum pan instead of an aluminum pan.

Cheers

7. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

There don't seem to be any used sets on Ebay USA. I know they are sold in stores in the US as I had to buy a new burner cap o'ring and I got it in Peace Surplus, Flagstaff, AZ. They also had them in 'Summit', Tucson.

The current range of Trangia are 'Ultra Light' which appears to me to just mean they are made from thinner metal. The 'Ultra Light' ones have UL after the model number.

Standard Trangia sets have always come in two sizes, the 27 and the 25. The 25-1 and 27-1 didn't come with a kettle, whereas the 25-2 and 27-2 did have the kettle. Strangely the 25 set is larger than the 27 set. Non-UL sets seems to be fetching a premium on Ebay UK. I recently sold 2 x No 25-2 non-UL sets on Ebay for double what I paid for them new 20 years ago.

Sets on Ebay UK go for around £30 ($45). They don't weigh much so shipping to the US should not be too bad.

If you want a new one then you have to have the UL version. I would recommend a good old 25-1 or 27-1. Avoid the non-stick ones. Used should be fine as being aluminium, they clean up very easily and there are no pumps/seals/washers to service.

I picked up a 27-2 set at a car boot sale last month for £1 but have given it to a nephew! If I come across another I'll send you a PM and you can have it for cost +shipping.

8. Laitch

I've used this bunch for equipment without problems, Ed. I've been to the store and it's well run. They have both sizes of aluminum Trangia kits on their web page.

9. hikin_jim

Ed,

It's a very strange thing. As popular as the Trangia set up is world wide, you just don't see the complete sets in stores here in the US. Many people in the US do use Trangia burners as part of some kind of alcohol set up, so Trangia burners by themselves are widely available here in the US. SW Outdoors on eBay has good burner prices.

I have been able to find sets on eBay by patiently waiting until they show up. They don't show up often.

A Trangia set is bulky and heavy (particularly for an alcohol stove), but it is "bomb proof" (will work in heavy winds). I don't think most American hikers will put up with the bulk and weight. The Trangia set just never got established here as a worthwhile piece of kit.

As to what kit to get, I myself just have the basic aluminum models, a 25 (the larger, 3+ people) and a 27 (the smaller, 1 or 2 persons). I don't have the kettles with my sets; I just have the two pots and the lid/fry pan. My kits are fine, although sometimes I wish I had a Trangia kettle. A lot of people seem to prefer the non-stick fry pan, but most people seem content with plain aluminum* for everything else. YMMV.

If you can get one, the duossal (duo, Stainless Steel and Aluminium) versions are highly prized, but they're not made any more and tend to command a premium.

HJ

*By "plain aluminum" I don't mean the UL version which has a reputation for denting too easily.

10. Petromark United States

I have sometimes seen the mini Trangia 28's for sale in REI stores. Other than that, I have never seen a 25, 27, or any other Trangia accesories for sale in a physical store anywhere in the US.

There are a number of websites they can be ordered from here in the US. Campsaver.com has a number of Trangia items- and if you order $50 or more you get free shipping. I've ordered a few things from them with good results. They once double charged my credit card but I got them to correct it after some e-mails. No problems other than that.

11. Ian

Ian Subscriber

Given that you generally seem to be cooking for at least 2, I'd go for a 25. If you don't have the PTFE-phobia a 25-5 would probably fit the bill.

Trangia's site gives Liberty Mountain as the US distributor. There seems to be a reasonable selection there.

12. davidcolter

Mine is the hard anodized pans version. Tougher than teflon and almost as non-stick. Get the set with the kettle in cos they are top banana.

13. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

I've got the 25-X, alu pots and a Teflon frying pan/lid.
    Not sure of the exact model, but the combo works well.
    Alu frying pans suck...

Mine is currently configured with a Nova burner, best of both worlds!

14. nzmike

I have a T25/1 and a T28. I use the T28 for a walkin' fishin' stove, works well WITH A WINDSHIELD and compacts nicely. The 25 (plain ali) I trust as much as I trust any of my stoves. If I had the choice when I got it (very second hand) I'd have opted for the 27, being smaller and mostly I'm on my own. The 25 is ok. My Optimus 77a sees it's fair share of use and to be honest, I can't pick a operating difference between the 25 and 77, both powered by a T burner as they are.

End of the day, the Trangias are brick outhouse solid and will last as long as someone wants it to, but the Ledmark will work just the same at a fraction of the cost if you don't mind the flimsier construction.

On the plus side, the Ledmark fry pan will work either side up as a pot cover, right side up with the spare pot over it and you have an excellent food warmer for split level cooking. I usually either warm dinner rolls/bread/naan, or make curry sauce in the fry pan then make rice in the pot. Works well. :thumbup:

That said. If I was spending (new) T25/27 $$$, I'd look long and hard several times at the ClickStand with wind shield.

15. T-Bone

They can be found: Enter the model into Google shopping like this for a Trangia 25:

http://www.google.com/search?q="trangia+25"

If you know the features you want you can add the extra number (the model for the ultra-light hard annodized is 8 )

http://www.google.com/search?q="trangia+25-8"

I have too many stoves and am getting cheap so I have the Ledmark. They rock - especially if you replace the stove with a genuine Trangia. The Ledmark stove tends to leak and they don't burn quite as hot.

16. Texas

I have one of those Ledmark sets from Campmore and it works fine as a water boiler for coffee. I haven't tried any gourmet recipes on it though....but then, I don't do that at home. I read somewhere that the gasket wasn't removable thus preventing you from using the lid as an extinguisher.....but it is. I also have one of the small Trangia burners with a 3-piece aluminum pot rest and stove holder thats similar to the Clikstand. No windscreen arrangement though but other than that, very small and handy.

Best,
    Bob

17. 111T

111T Subscriber

The ledmark burner is an inferior copy of a trangia burner. also there is no simmer ring included. Which saves you from having to remove the o-ring anyway My advice is to pick the good bits of the ledmark kit... the pots and windscreen and upgrade the burner to a trangia and the pleather strap to an arno strap also available from campmor. I've always gotten my trangia stuff from campsaver.com I've always had good luck with them.

18. alanwenker

alanwenker Subscriber

I bought my first trangia set about 10 years ago, not long after I found this web site. At that time it was very hard to find trangia sold anywhere in the US, I even ordered a few bits from Base Camp. At the moment Campsaver seems to sell the largest selection of Trangia gear. Liberty Mountain is the importer, but I am not certain they sell at a retail level.

I bought the duossal pans which I believe Trangia has discontinued. I love the pans, though they are heavy and that's likely why they had to go.

Here is my $0.02. Buy the larger size (the 25 series), the smaller size is really geared to boiling water for 1 cup at a time meals. I would skip the plain aluminiun pans as they can be hard to clean at times. I think I'd try the hardanodized since I'd likely scratch up the non-stick coating as I am clumsy. I'd buy a tea kettle as they are handy and they look really cool in photos.

Trangia really are great sets, simple and stormproof which is a great combination.

19. hikin_jim

The pans in the Trangia 27 are 1.0 liter each.
    The pans in the Trangia 25 are 1.75 liter and 1.5 liter, respectively.

HJ

20. Ed Winskill

Thanks for all of the great input!