Single Burner Punker Marine Stove

Discussion in 'Punker' started by Matukat, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

It's been a LONG time since I found a stove and bought it. This is one of a type that I've wanted ever since learning about them. I've never owned a boat, but the stove type fascinates me. I found this advertised locally. I've not tried to test it yet, so no flame shots. If I can remember how to load the pics, I'll edit and add to the post later on!
    Punker stove and Smoky the cat 015.jpg

Apparently, the new forum doesn't require resizing of images? SWEET! :-)
    Oh, does anyone know the easy way to remove the surface rust?
    Punker stove and Smoky the cat 018.jpg

Punker stove and Smoky the cat 019.jpg

Punker stove and Smoky the cat 022.jpg

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Matukat

For delicate jobs with paint and plating, I use "Hammerite Rust Removing Gel". It's been excellent on nickel-plated tanks and similar. Patience is the key.

Cheers

Tony

3. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

Thank you Tony! It looks like I might be able to source it from Ebay, but the shipping might be prohibitive. These days, there may be an easily obtained analog. I can hope. :-) I vaguely remember someone on here that could magically get rid of tank dents as well... Not critical, because I want to use the stove, not put it in a display case. :-)

4. Tony Press

@Matukat

I've not found a magical way of getting rid of dents; but if you do, let me know!!!

Cheers

Tony

5. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Randy @Matukat , good to see you posting again, and with such an interesting stove.
    The active ingredient of Hammerite Rust Removing Gel is Citric Acid:

http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/1082/0900766b81082f10.pdf

Before going to the expense of trying to import this rare Gel commodity, try GSR:

Here is an extract from the recipe for GSR:

" I promised you the secret of GSR ( George's Stove Restorer). You must NOT reveal this to others!.
    If you do not favour full immersion, or only have "spot" corrosion to treat, the answer could be GSR. Make up a pint-or-so of cellulose wallpaper adhesive. Add a couple of teaspoonsful of anhydrous citric acid crystals, a drop or two of detergent, and stir. The mixture needs to be thick enough to adhere to vertical and horizontal surfaces, but thin enough for the citric acid solution to do its job. The mixture should be painted onto the item and periodically agitated with a toothbrush or similar. Once the object is clear of tarnish, rinse and dry as described earlier."

Try it on a small inconspicious area of your tank first to see how you get on.

Best Regards,
    George.

6. Tony Press

@kerophile

That remind me. I need to find some wallpaper adhesive now that I've found a cheap supply of anhydrous citric acid.

Cheers

Tony

7. kerophile

8. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

Thank you George! Magic of citric acid removes rust! What doesn't it do??? LOL Back when I was more active with the stoves I had discovered that cheap "lemonaide" flavored, powdered drink mixes (AKA Koolaid) were largely citric acid. Staying with the lemonaide flavor since it had the least noticeable coloring. I wonder what the action it takes on the oxidation actually is?
    Glad to be back and hearing from you again. Sad to have learned of the loss of a couple of the members. I have some catching up to do.

9. kerophile