Snow Peak Giga Power Stove

Discussion in 'Japan' started by teckguy_58, Oct 4, 2015.

1. teckguy_58

teckguy_58 United States Subscriber

Hello,

I have acquired a Snow Peak Giga Power Stove. This stove runs only on Coleman types of fuel. There is a lever on the pump for lighting the stove and once warmed up one needs to flip the lever to run, but instead of using the lever I decided to try preheating the stove with denatured alcohol which worked quite well. I've read some of the reviews on this stove and most state this stove isn't a good cold weather stove, but I think with a good preheating with denatured alcohol this stove would work quite well in all weather conditions but as usual I may be way off based in my assessment.
    DSC02943.JPG DSC02942.JPG

The stove is quite the power house and is easily adjustable for simmer to high. I was able to boil 2 qts of water in just a little over 4 min.

DSC02944.JPG DSC02945.JPG DSC02946.JPG DSC02947.JPG DSC02948.JPG DSC02949.JPG DSC02950.JPG DSC02951.JPG DSC02952.JPG DSC02953.JPG DSC02954.JPG DSC02955.JPG

This stove works quite well. Also this stove would be a very good candidate due to the flame pattern for the Omnia stove top oven or similar stove top oven.

Cheers,
    Norman

2. Etherman

Etherman Subscriber

Wonderful stove. Innovative igniting and high btu output. Excellent post. Who doesn't want to find one? I do.

3. teckguy_58

Hello fellow stovies,

If anyone has seen some of my posts you will understand I'm always trying to see is a stove will run well on canister fuels.

I'm calling this experiment "Snow Peak Giga Power WG Stove 2.0"

So here's what I decided to do. I contacted Gary, aka Bernie Dawg, with my idea of making an adapter for this stove so one could run this stove on canister fuels. Gary being being the gracious guy that he is decided to take on the challenge of making the adapter for this stove. Making the adapter turned out to be quite straight forward for Gary, so he finished quickly and soon the stove was back in my possession. I had an extra Primus fuel hose with valve so the adapter is setup for the Primus hose, and by the way works quite well.

Here are some pictures of the adapter and Primus fuel hose with valve. You will notice a Viton O-Ring in the adapter and this helps to seal the adapter to the stove side connector.

DSC03024.JPG DSC03023.JPG DSC03022.JPG DSC02985.JPG DSC02986.JPG DSC02987.JPG DSC02989.JPG

I started the experiment with straight butane on the vapor side then after a little preheat I flipped it over to the liquid side.

DSC02991.JPG DSC03000.JPG DSC03000.JPG DSC03001.JPG DSC03002.JPG DSC03003.JPG DSC03004.JPG

Next came the butane/propane mix. There is a little bit of lift off on high but this settles down as the stove heats up more.

DSC03005.JPG DSC03006.JPG DSC03008.JPG DSC03009.JPG

I'm just about at my limit for adding photos so this will be continued.

Cheers,
    Norman

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  4. teckguy_58

Hello again fellow stovies,

Well here is the continuation from my previous post.

Next came straight propane. There is quite a bit of liftoff on high but as the stove heats up this does settle down a bit. I was able to bring 1 liter of water to a roiling boil in just under 3 minutes.
    Here is the USA propane is the cheap canister fuel. One can get 2 of the Coleman Propane fuel canisters for just $5.75 at Walmart, so if you figure out the price per ounce propane is the winner. Here in the USA an 8 oz butane/propane mix goes for about $4.50 and up and if you can find the 16 oz butane/propane mix well it goes for $9.00 up to over $20.00. All one needs is to get the adapter so you can use propane on almost any stove that will take the mix canisters. I use the G-Works adapter.

DSC03025.JPG DSC03025.JPG DSC03026.JPG DSC03028.JPG DSC03029.JPG

Here are the results running the stove on propane. Liftoff on high but this stove is a bloody blow torch on propane.

DSC03010.JPG DSC03011.JPG DSC03012.JPG DSC03013.JPG DSC03014.JPG DSC03015.JPG DSC03016.JPG DSC03017.JPG DSC03018.JPG DSC03019.JPG DSC03020.JPG DSC03021.JPG

I know some don't agree with my adaptations, but in truth this stove hasn't been altered. The original setup can be used with no problems.
    The experiment has been a success. This stove can be easily used with canister fuels and with it's original setup. Some have stated this stove isn't a good cold weather stove, but I believe they are wrong. All one needs to do is give the stove a good preheat and one should have no problems with this stove in cold weather.

I hope you enjoyed the experiment.

Cheers,
    Norman

5. tekkster

Congratulations! I've been chasing down one of these as well, and while I haven't gotten one yet, these awesome pictures will hold me over until then. Great flame, nice even spread, and seems like the hot spot wouldn't be as narrow as many multifuel stoves.

6. W H LAM

Hi, my pump unit of the wg stove broke and the Snow Peak Inc said there is no spare parts all over the world. Please would you provide me the detail of the adaptor so that I can use my wg stove again.

7. teckguy_58

@W H LAM

Hi W H LAM,

Sorry for taking so long in getting back to you, but it has been very busy around here lately.
    The gent that made the adapter for me is Gary Adams AKA Bernie Dawg. He may have another adapter for the Snow Peak GP WG stove, but I don't know for sure.
    Here is his email.
    bluewater_stove@comcast.net

Contact Gary and explain your situation because he is the one that will be able to help you out.

Cheers,
    Norman

8. idahostoveguy

Awesome, Norman. That stove is HOT!

sam

9. W H LAM

Hi Norman, thanks for your information and I have contacted Gary. Hope there will be a good news. Thank you very much.

10. teckguy_58

Hi Sam,
    You are correct because this stove is quite the performer.
    With the adapter one can run this stove on all canister fuels plus Coleman type fuels.

Cheers,
    Norman

11. teckguy_58

@W H LAM

Hi W H LAM,

I forgot to mention that Gary will need to know what type of fuel hose with valve you intend on using.
    What is readily available to you is the BRS type of fuel hose, pump and fuel bottle.
    BRSfuelhosewithvalve.jpg BRSpump1.jpg BRSfuelbottle.jpg

Personally I've had bad luck with the BRS pumps due to the pump starts leaking after a few uses, so I prefer to use a Primus fuel pump. The choice is yours, but Gary will need to know which fuel hose with valve you intend on using.
    With the use of a different pump you will loose the instant lighting so you will have to preheat the generator. I have tried denatured alcohol with very good results, but you can also use a butane torch lighter to preheat the generator. With the adapter you will be able to use all canister fuels with no preheating. All you need to do is start stove in the vapor side of the fuel canister and let the stove heat up for a few minutes and then invert the canister to use the liquid side. You will have very good results with canister fuels. You will still be able to use Coleman types of fuels, but as stated above you will need to preheat the generator before trying to light the stove.
    I hope this information is helpful for you.

Cheers,
    Norman

12. Vance R Austin

Aloha. I just joined the site a few weeks ago. I have a demo snowpeak wg stove. How do I get a adapter? Have been looking for the same. Cheers

13. teckguy_58

@Vance R Austin ,

Hi Vance,

These stoves are great. With the adapter you will be able to use Coleman fuel plus all canister fuels.

The gent that made the adapter for me is Gary Adams AKA Bernie Dawg. He may have another adapter for the Snow Peak GP WG stove, but I don't know for sure.
    Here is his email.
    bluewater_stove@comcast.net

Contact Gary and explain your situation because he is the one that will be able to help you out.

Cheers,
    Norman