Snow Peak Giga Power White Gas Stove

Discussion in 'Japan' started by idahostoveguy, Apr 12, 2012.

1. idahostoveguy

Here's the Snow Peak Giga White Gas Stove. Apparently, this stove is capable of only using white gas or Coleman Fuel, which is ok if you live in an area where white gas is affordable enough to find, buy and use. Fortunately, I can get white gas, which isn't very cheap but this stove is quite efficient at using it.

1334205158-SnowPeakGigaWG_001.jpg

Some points to consider:

1. The pump has got to be the most complicated pump I've seen yet. There looks to be numerous parts and fasteners on this Coleman-MSR-inspired pump. It also has a lever that must be turned to start the stove and then it must be flipped the other way to run the stove, similar to Coleman suitcase stoves with the air valve to get a good fuel-air mix. If you don't flip to run, the bottle runs out of air pressure quite quickly and is very difficult to start.

2. It comes with a fuel measurement device that you insert into the bottle to make sure the stove is at 3/4 full. More full than that and the stove will not operate.

3. The stove itself is a complicated design with a flame/simmer control at the stove.

4. The Snow Peak Giga Power WG is a white gas only stove and has a silent burner. Operates very quietly.

5. You must tighten the nut the holds the fuel tube with the tool and make sure the stove and fuel bottle, with pump inserted, are the correct position before you tighten, otherwise, the stove will sit cock-eyed and won't stay on all fours.

6. The pump housing is plastic, but the pump handle and other shiny parts are metal. As complicated as it looks, it is very well made and feels sturdy, unlike the Sigg Fire-Jet pump, which feels like it will fall apart any second.

7. Lots of documentation.

8. No priming cup. Starting this stove is similar to an M-1950 military stove. Full yellow flames at first and then they turn blue with some priming time.

Here are the rest of the pics:

1334205171-SnowPeakGigaWG_002.jpg 1334205198-SnowPeakGigaWG_003.jpg 1334205206-SnowPeakGigaWG_004.jpg 1334205212-SnowPeakGigaWG_005.jpg 1334205219-SnowPeakGigaWG_006.jpg 1334205226-SnowPeakGigaWG_007.jpg 1334205232-SnowPeakGigaWG_008.jpg 1334205243-SnowPeakGigaWG_009.jpg 1334205252-SnowPeakGigaWG_010.jpg 1334205259-SnowPeakGigaWG_011.jpg 1334205284-SnowPeakGigaWG_012.jpg 1334205298-SnowPeakGigaWG_013.jpg 1334205312-SnowPeakGigaWG_014.jpg 1334205320-SnowPeakGigaWG_015.jpg 1334205358-SnowPeakGigaWG_016.jpg 1334205358-SnowPeakGigaWG_016.jpg 1334205367-SnowPeakGigaWG_017.jpg 1334205376-SnowPeakGigaWG_018.jpg 1334205386-SnowPeakGigaWG_019.jpg

sam

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. idahostoveguy

Continuing the discussion with some flame shots. This stove performed really well. In fact, it did a boil test faster than any backpacking stove I have. It did an incredible, 3:35 for one liter of water at 4700 feet of elevation, ambient temperature of 50F, humidity was around 40%, stainless steel kettle, starting water temperature at around 43F. My Primus MulitFuel had the best time at 3:50, but this little wonder out did it. It did it all relatively quietly.

The simmering capability is probably the best I've seen as well. It is right there with the Coleman 502 single burner. The Giga Power WG probably has a better control of the flame than many others. Note: I let it simmer for quite a long time to see if the flame would turn yellow (about 5 to 7 minutes). It didn't.

A very impressive performance.

Enjoy.

sam

Note: the first photo shows the stove in the priming phase. The last photo shows the stove simmering.

1334206310-SnowPeakGigaWG_020.jpg 1334206326-SnowPeakGigaWG_021.jpg 1334206333-SnowPeakGigaWG_022.jpg 1334206338-SnowPeakGigaWG_023.jpg 1334206343-SnowPeakGigaWG_024.jpg 1334206348-SnowPeakGigaWG_025.jpg 1334206352-SnowPeakGigaWG_026.jpg 1334206358-SnowPeakGigaWG_027.jpg 1334206366-SnowPeakGigaWG_028.jpg 1334206372-SnowPeakGigaWG_029.jpg 1334206378-SnowPeakGigaWG_030.jpg 1334206384-SnowPeakGigaWG_031.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  3. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Sam,
    Have you tried an MSR Reactor?
    I am not saying that it is my 'Go-To' stove, but it seems to be the fastest boil time of all stoves I have.
    I use it when traveling. That stove, a manual grinder, a GSI Java Drip ... I can have hot coffee in less than 10 minutes, and be back on the road.

Ken

Edit:
    I forgot to say thank you for the post and pictures.
    Thank you Sam

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  4. itchy

Thanks Sam. Nice work.

I seem to remember Snow-peak stoves having a pretty good reputation, but I have never had or played with any of their equipment. Nice to it as up close as I am likely to get.

5. davidcolter

It looks like you could easily make a hose adapted for the Primus pump.

6. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Evidently the pump that comes with the stove has a Coleman-like 'quick start' capability operated by a fuel/air control lever.

A Primus pump would dump neat fuel down the burner feed from the off, so start-up wouldn't be so effortless. Probably wouldn't deliver a lean enough mixture for the stove to work properly even when it had reached operating temperature.

Reminds me of the Coleman Apex pump fuel feed arrangement, taking neat fuel from below the fuel surface and an air feed (via that neoprene pipe jutting out at right-angles) from the airspace above the fuel to equip the stove with a fuel/air mixture rather than wholly liquid feed.

The Apex doesn't have a fuel/air control and does the transfer over from priming phase automatically by drawing the fuel in through a pin-hole venturi/atomiser, resulting a characteristic 'chuffing' sound. I suppose that fuel/air lever on the Snow Peak achieves the same by having the user manually throttle down the fuel supply when the stoves hot enough to vapourise the fuel.

John

7. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Nice find Sam, thank you for all of the pics. Wow, that fast?
    Duane

8. Chef BC

Sam, nice flame shots and nicely detailed photo spread. Would this be a 1980's vintage stove? It certainly has that look with the brushed aluminum fuel bortle and blue logo. ;) Was a wind screen also provided with this kit?

9. Big BTU

Big BTU Subscriber

Sam,

I agree with you. That looks like a complicated pump :lol:

Looks like a pretty good stove though if you are nice and careful & half awake to use it correctly.

thanks for sharing.

John

10. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I'm surprised Sam that the stove puts out that much heat as it has less btu's than other stoves today. I found an old listing on Backcountry stating boil time. Of course your flame shots show other wise.
    Duane

11. rucksack

I have the Snow Peak GS-300A, the sister stove and gas version of the GS-010R white gas stove. Its claimed boil time is 3:46 and that is about right from my experience. These two stoves are manufactured in Japan, whilst the rest of the Snow Peak range, (all except the GS-010R are gas), are manufactured in China. Both the GS-010R & GS-300A are very well made and can certainly put out some heat. The second regulator produces very precise simmering. These two stoves have been around for a while; when the GS-010R first came out, Snow Peak had trouble with the pump and if I remember correctly, there was a recall somewhere along the line, but I haven't heard of any problems since. Both stoves are still 'current models'.

In the original literature, which doesn't seem to be on the Snow Peak website anymore, the following figures were claimed:

GS-010R output 10,000BTU
    Boil time for 1 litre: 4:50

GS-300A output 11,200BTU
    Boil time for 1 litre: 3:46

Whilst gas is not my preferred fuel for cold climes, I have used my GS-300A below zero Celsius on more than one occasion and the stove has seemed completely unbothered.

rucksack

12. idahostoveguy

Hi snwcmpr,

No, I have not tried the MSR Reactor. I've read nothing but good about it. (Disclaimer: I know nothing about the Reactor.) I guess my biggest reason to not try it is for three reasons: 1) It uses gas cartridges, which is ok, but I like liquid fuel better (funner) 2) It's expensive for my tastes 3) It looks like you can only use their pot to cook with. I may be wrong but that is why the Snow Peak is the hottest backpacking stove I have.

I like that it uses liquid fuel - a lot. The negative about that is I wish that it could use other fuels, like kero or gas canisters like the Primus Omni or MF. So, it's limited that way, but it's not really that bad of a limitation.

If I were to buy this stove new (I wouldn't. Costs too much), it would have cost a whole lot more than I paid. This one was used when I bought it and at a really decent price, competitive with prices I've paid for other used stoves I have. Certainly a lot less than the Reactor.

I like that I'll be able to use just about any pot or pan with the Snow Peak. The stands are very stout and sturdy even though four legs makes it a bit awkward to find level ground with. I like using a kettle on my bp trips so this stove would provide a nice wide area to set that kettle or frying pan or other pot in whatever configuration I choose.

I'm not bashing the Reactor. It is no slouch by any means at all and definitely has its purpose in the world. I just like the general applicability of this Snow Peak stove. It's a personal thing.

Itchy, I've not heard or read negative comments about this or other of the Snow Peak products. I've gone with other backpackers who will only use Snow Peak gear including the gas canister stoves because of their outstanding quality.

Presscall John, I think you nailed the operation of the pump in that the user controls the fuel/air mix. As far as starting the stove, the instructions say to open the simmer control to fully open once pumping is complete. Light your match over the burner, and then open the main valve on the pump a quarter turn with the 'lever' in the 'Start' position to get the stove started. It burns mostly yellow at first, but quickly achieves blue within, I would say, about 30 seconds. Once blue, you're supposed to open the main valve further, turn the lever to 'Run', and then control the flame with the simmer control. Sounds very Coleman-esque to me.

Boil time. Well, my boil temperature will be lower than for those at sea level. I'm not saying this stove isn't powerful, it really is. But, you have to remember at 4700 Feet/1400 Meters my boil temperature is at around 204F/95C. But, then, there is less oxygen so the flame isn't as hot, as it is at sea level, so the time may be the same. At any rate, the burner is very powerful and silent. I couldn't believe what I found so I did it again. Same time. I still can't believe it.

rucksack Right on! Those are the figures I've found too and everyone's results may differ than mine.

Well, thanks for the comments guys!

sam

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  13. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

MSR Reactor vs liquid fuel ... I got both of mine at REI garage sales. 50 + 60 = 110, so less than 2/3rds the cost of one (160). I hate to pay retail.
    I do agree, Sam, liquid fuel vs canisters. I am a convert, but canisters have a place.
    One thing the Reactor does well is BOIL WATER. It can't cook, can't simmer, at least I can't get it to simmer. All cooking seems to stick to the pot, it's deep, so hard to clean.
    I think that's why I got them at the garage sale.

Ken in NC

14. hikin_jim

Very nice stove, Sam. Not very common. It's one I've been curious about but have never seen.

Very interesting that it has a manual air/gas mixing valve. A bit like the Soto Muka in that regard, although the Snow Peak is more like the Coleman Apex.

Very nice.

HJ

15. hikin_jim

Same, you are correct, the Reactor can only be used with a Reactor pot. There are only two Reactor pots, a 1.5L and a 2.5L size.

HJ

16. Reflector

It seems you can't get any of the Gigapower WGs in the United States, but I was able to order one from Japan. Since there was no photos of the packaging I took a few when I received mine from a few months back.

If anyone wants me to upload the Japanese manuals I can scan them.

There's technically a "priming cup" (Don't ask me why I know this, I'm not operating it on white gas. :twisted: ). The little stamped plate on the bottom technically allows you to dispense a little fuel and ignite it off before you fire the stove up. I find that intentionally priming it with a tiny little bit of clean burning ethanol will assist in the warmup process (Even if the stove is "primeless" it just starts up much, much faster than trying to pump as it preheats).

For anyone planning to run this on "alternative"* fuels besides white gas: Snow Peak still sells the jets so you can drill them out. I really wouldn't recommend running this stove on anything but white gas because of the really short preheat loop. The pump screws into Optimus bottles fine, but the Snow Peak bottle that comes with it is definitely of a different construction than the typical fuel bottle. I can take photos of that for anyone interested.

Pic01.jpg

Pic02.jpg

Pic03.jpg

Pic04.jpg

Pic05.jpg

Pic06.jpg

Pic07.jpg

Pic08.jpg

Pic09.jpg

17. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Thanks for adding all the photos of the box and packing - perfect! :D

18. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

the sigg fire jet pump fits with the sigg fuel line

fjpump1.jpg
    I have this stove on loan but the lender seems not to want it back - I find the rigid fuel line on the snowpeak pump is a pain - very difficult to pump without shaking the stove
    with this arrangement you lose the self prime switch but it takes about a minute for the stove to settle down

fjpump2.jpg
    burns better than the sigg - this is simmer!

19. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

thought I would take the pump apart

sppump2.jpg

it has an apex type plastic elbow for air and vapour to enter the fuel line
    rather than being automatic the fuel line has a wire in it - a cam on the priming lever moves the wire back and forth to open and close the flow of vapour

orifice2.jpg

no filter on the fuel pick up but a filter gauze on the vapour intake

gauze.jpg

the wire (best tv show ever) may not completely block the airflow as the stove runs a bit rich with the sigg pump

20. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

running rich thingy solved

elbow4.jpg
    transplanted the coleman elbow thingy from a knackered apex pump - goes great - no yellow flames

elbow1.jpg
    it's a scorcher!

elbow2.jpg
    simmer - that's given me an idea