Soldering Legs

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Murray, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Murray

Murray Subscriber

I know this is also a well-covered topic and I'm conscious of teaching my granny to suck eggs...
    For what it's worth, I pass on the technique I learned from Handi-Albert back in the mists of time which was to hold the tank steady with clamps, vice or whatever. Then tin the leg. I used Bakers Fluid, solder wire and a cloth. Heat the leg (only) with a torch, apply flux and then solder. At first, the solder won't flow. Keep heating, fluxing, rubbing with a cloth and applying solder until the leg is cleanly tinned with no scum.
    Then hold the leg against the stove. The leg has enough heat to melt the residual solder on the tank. Hold steady until the solder hardens.
    This technique has the advantage that the torch is not directly applied to the tank so there are no tedious moments when the other legs drop off...
    Hope somebody finds this useful.

Best Regards

Murray

2. Plantpot United Kingdom

@Murray

Thanks for the info will come in handy.

3. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Murray

Thank you.

Have you heard from Albert lately? I understand that he sold his collection recently.

Cheers

Tony

4. Murray

Murray Subscriber

Not for many years unfortunately. I met him at a Bendigo Swap Meet long ago - about the time my wife started to complain that the house was filling up with stoves and lamps and I wound back operations :content: