1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solus - Sunday swap meet find.

Discussion in 'Coleman Solus - all models' started by MrAlexxx, Nov 17, 2015.

1. MrAlexxx

MrAlexxx Canada Subscriber

It needs some loving and fettling. A Coleman Solus of some unknown vintage. DSC04342.JPG

2. Krestova Jane Canada

Nice find MrAlexxx! Fettle 'er up then. Make sure to show us the results later on.

3. MrAlexxx

I'm right on top of it as we speak. :)

4. Krestova Jane Canada

It's a shame people let their stoves go like that. She's gonna like the lov'in.

5. MrAlexxx

Yeah the guy told me he bought it years ago with the intent of fixing it but just never got around to it and lost interest.

6. Krestova Jane Canada

On the other hand...it's a lucky find for you. I'd like a Coleman like this.

7. MrAlexxx

Don't say lucky until I post a picture with flames. I'm slightly superstitious. :shock:

8. Krestova Jane Canada

Lol. Sorry, my editing time is expired.

9. MrAlexxx

You purposely waited that long didn't you? lol

10. Krestova Jane Canada

No, I didn't know you're superstitious.
    I'll remember next time you post your treasures that need some fettling.

11. MrAlexxx

Thank you. I'm not really but I've been around long enough to know not all fettling goes as planned.

12. kerophile

kerophile United States Subscriber

13. magikbus

magikbus United States Subscriber

Hey Alex...(is that your name?) You've got a two legged Solus just like mine! Fantastic. I've just gotten hold of some brass tubing to fabricate a new leg. Got it from the local Hobby shop. It comes in two wall thicknesses, neither of which is a perfect fit, but can probably be worked on to make it suitable. I'll let you know how my first attempts work out. They are great stoves. I'll get some pics when I get up the nerve to go out in the wind and the rain.

The real treasure is that Coleman Canada trivet! Do you know how rare they are?

Just a quick question, when you turn the pump knob clockwise lots of times, does it tighten up like a Coleman lantern pump does? I'm doing a survey of Solus owners as to which ones have the Coleman style CV or the Optimus style NRV.
    Stan

14. MrAlexxx

Some very good tips in that stove leg article. A couple things I hadn't thought of. Thank you Kerophile.

15. MrAlexxx

Hi yes my name is Alex.
    Just having a coffee and will venture out into the shop in a bit and let you know about the pump.

16. magikbus

That's my problem too, venturing out to the shop that is.. Here on Vancouver Island it's pouring cats and dogs as well as 50km wind.
    Stan

17. MrAlexxx

Same here in Langley BC. Raining the proverbial cats and dogs who would be flying sideways in the wind. I manned up and ventured out to the shop...the pump works like a Coleman lantern. Actually same principal as my lil Primus 96.

18. magikbus

That's strange, a primus 96 should have the Euro style nrv which will spin clockwise forever. Some Solus stoves have identical CVs that lanterns have ie: they tighten when screwed and seal.
    Stan

btw I can't see from your picture but if the pressure release knob (on the fuel cap) has threads on it or a travel cap that unscrews leaving threads, you have a model 518. If it doesn't have a travel cap or the threads it screws onto, it's a 518B.

19. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

20. magikbus

Yup, you've got a beautiful model 318 discuss Canadian Solus there. I love the discus stoves whether they're Solus or Primus or Optimus. I've got the model 319 (silent burner version) with an extra roarer burner to turn it into a 318. The Solus roarer burners are stamped "Coleman Made in Canada" as yours shows but they are otherwise identical to the Optimus roarer burners. I was reading through your post about your fettling of yours, great job btw. But I don't think the first few pics of the "mess" would have been done in the factory. It'd never gotten past the Coleman quality control inspectors.

I just did a stupid thing. First time ever, hopefully the last. I brought my Solus 318 (unregulated silent burner) in from the relatively cool (15 deg C) outside temp and set it on my computer desk and trotted off downtown to pick up the mail. I forgot to release the pressure knob. The result is that when I got back home the kerosene had expanded up the fuel tube, out the jet, filled up the pre-heat cup and dribbled out over my paperwork stinking up the entire house. :-( I'm going to hear about that for awhile.
    Stan