1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solus - Sunday swap meet find.

Discussion in 'Coleman Solus - all models' started by MrAlexxx, Nov 17, 2015.

1. scouterjan

scouterjan Canada Subscriber

nice find Alex, yes just got in from leaf pick up, got soaked to the A** Stan meet Alex, guess we have another local guy
    Jan

2. magikbus

magikbus United States Subscriber

Yup, funny he found the exact same Solus as I found recently. A two legged one at that.
    We got a couple of inches of rain in the last 24 hours. Lots of blowing also but Duncan got the worst of it, trees down, power still out etc. Not a flicker here, can't light up tonight darn it.
    Stan

3. scouterjan

our power went out around 6PM yesterday, came back on late this afternoon, our house was warm and bright inside
    Jan

4. MrAlexxx

MrAlexxx Canada Subscriber

Okay...got busy during the last week made a leg and one of the grate supports. Tinned the tank and leg and used the hose clamp and nail polish trick for the flux. Forgot one step which was to paint the leg around the tinning so the flux wouldn't run the solder up it. It did a bit on one side...see picture...but I think I can polish that off. For a first attempt I'm okay with it. Never used any extra solder except what was tinned on the tank and leg. Added some fuel pumped the stove up and came back a few hours later and it was still holding pressure. Let that out and added some preheat fuel went through the routine of starting and away we went. Burnt off 50+ years of tarnish...nice green flame and once she settled in burnt pretty good I guess. She boiled the kettle I had a cup of tea. It's all good. DSC04398.JPG DSC04402.JPG DSC04425.JPG DSC04426 (2).JPG

5. Jeopardy

Jeopardy United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Alex,
    Nice job on the replacement leg.
    You are missing a flame ring that will direct those lovely blue flames up towards your pots and away from the pan ring.
    Regards
    John

6. MrAlexxx

@ John...
    That's good to know. I'm still claiming newbie status and any help is greatly appreciated. I was really thinking that the pan ring was getting roasted pretty good but what do I know? lol Could you possibly supply a picture or measurements as I do have a backyard machinist brother who I'm sure owes me a favor and if that doesn't pan out my neighbour is also a machinist.
    Cheers...
    Alex

7. scouterjan

Alex, good it see you got it going. If you stop by or I can meet up with you you can have a look, use 1 of mine as a template. Just give me a shout
    Jan

8. Jeopardy

Jeopardy United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Alex,
    you would be best to take @scouterjan up on his offer to show you his example. There are several posts of Coleman Solus stoves in the Stove Reference Gallery, some of which are also missing the flame ring but if you take a look at Sparky's example you will see what I mean. Both of his stoves have the flame ring fitted in the first post. In the second post it is missing in the first picture but there is also a flame shot with it fitted and you will be able to see just how hot they can get...... it's the bit that's "glowing"!
    regards
    John

9. MrAlexxx

Will do thanks guys.

10. scouterjan

made contact with Alex
    Jan