some guidance please re coleman re 550 and 400 and sigg Fire jet

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by mike_p, Mar 27, 2020.

1. mike_p

so as I seem to have time on my hands its time to start sorting out a few bits
    I have a Coleman 550 and a 400 so what are the main things to check ? pump, fuel cap, NRV?
    A previous owner has over tightened the 550 valve assembly so it points away from the stove will this be an issue ? what does it tighten down on to ? I presume for all new o rings ? from where ? what sizes?

I also have a sigg fire jet the rubber ball that acts as the pip in the pump NRV has 2 nice rings in where it has sat for x years and needed to be prodded free can you get replacements ? I don't intent to use the pump in anger but would like it working.

also with the fire jet the pump is in a 1l sigg fuel bottle which other bottles will it fit ? it wont screw onto a primus one although the primus cap will fit the sigg bottle ( at some point I will get an adapter made to fit the primus hose as its the early 2mm rubber one and use the primus pump off my omnifuel).
    Thanks
    Mike

2. IvanN

IvanN United States Subscriber

Re. The sigg pump- I would just hold up the pump next to the bottle to see if it would fit. I’m fairly certain min is in a bottle smaller than 1 liter. I can check later
    Ivan

3. John Clifford United States

With respect to the 550 and 400, you can do what the military refers to as IRAN, inspect, repair as necessary, or you can just fire them up and see what works. Make sure the fuel in the fount is fresh and clean, everything is finger snug, put a little Break-Free or WD-40 on the pump shaft and let it run into the pump and work it a few times without blocking the vent hole, cycle the valve a couple of times, then pressurize the stoves and fire them up. Either they'll work or they won't. If the former you're good to go, otherwise the fun starts. These are really cleverly designed and manufactured devices, and simple to understand and fix.

4. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Welcome to CCS, John Clifford. Seems you are nearby....

5. John Clifford United States

Thanks... yep, in Bellevue close to COVID-19 ground zero here in WA state... sigh...

6. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

There are a number of good posts on file here about reworking the 550 B. They are quite simple to work on, but quality seems to vary. There are 6 o rings altogether, IIRC.