some MSR Fuel Bottles

Discussion in 'Stove Paraffinalia' started by OMC, May 20, 2019.

1. OMC

OMC Subscriber

The earliest MSR stoves were paired with SIGG fuel bottles.
    "MSR" fuel bottle was first offered in 1981, per Cascade website.
    I'm thinking the one on the left was the first. More later on the one on the right (both are fairly rare).
    IMG_3405.JPG

IMG_3406.JPG
    This first one is unique with the print graphic being applied to a thin plastic, the plastic wraps snugly around the bottle.
    When/if the plastic were to come off the bottle then has the " look" of a bare aluminum SIGG fuel bottle. It does however, have "MSR" embossed on the bottom.
    ----------------------------------------------------

Actually what prompted my post is to share the brand new 50th Anniversary MSR Fuel Bottle !!!,
    a replica of the original. This is the new one that has just been offered for this season. The print graphics are painted-on. It comes with child proof cap.
    IMG_3412n16.JPG

IMG_3414.JPG

IMG_3417.JPG
    credit Larry Penberthy: climber, innovator, inventor and 1969 founder of MSR.
    ---------------------------------
    ---------------------------------

Now back to that early fuel bottle on the right in my OP.
    That blue, on silver paint, version may have been the 2nd version MSR made. That exact version was offered in 3 painted-on color schemes. 4 views of same 3 bottles.
    IMG_3418.JPG

IMG_3419.JPG

IMG_3420.JPG

IMG_3421.JPG
    Re: the early examples above:
    -they're 22oz size only,
    -do not have any warning,
    -have "made in USA",
    -have the earliest type cap,
    -have the same tooling w/inner circle (encircles the S of the embossed MSR) and a faint outer circle.
    ------------------------------
    Next I share a version I had overlooked until preparing this post …
    MSR added: > the *11 oz. size and > a WARNING. There's more details but here they are...
    (*I don't know if any 33oz. were offered at this time?).
    IMG_3458.JPG
    Re only the 22oz on the left, the only difference is the added WARNING / and addl text. So it's bottom has the same tooling as all the early examples, here's that.
    IMG_3464min.JPG

Ok, so I ALSO just NOTICE the 11oz bottle, off to far right, is 20th Anniversary bottle 1969-1989. I happen to have 11oz, "Anniversary" logo aside it is identical to the 1 to it's left.
    IMG_3477.JPG
    I presume this anniversary edition was also offered in 22oz , (on my wish list).
    Again, I don't know if 33 oz was offered.

About this new 11oz example: Note A. "made in USA" is absent, B. although it contains all the exact same print graphics as the 22 oz (missing USA, yes)… the carry-over graphics were re-arranged? A&B: being just a couple peculiar details.

This is the added warning & text btw:
    "WARNING -- USE ONLY MSR FUEL BOTTLES WITH YOUR MSR STOVE"...… <--that and
    "Use of non-MSR fuel bottles with any MSR stove may result in fuel leakage and/or separation of the fuel bottle from the pump. This would create an extreme fire hazard. It is mandatory that you read the instruction manual prior to using your stove."
    ----------------------------------------
    I have shared above all the early versions of MSR fuel bottles. MSR settled on RED for a basic retail fuel bottle, more to come on that.

At some point after the above examples MSR, meanwhile, also made many many different versions. There were changes along the way: tooling, a new type of cap (in black and grey), bar codes etc. etc.
    I'd be remiss not to emphasize plenty versions made for military issue.
    -----------------------------------------

MSR's basic retail, red fuel bottles continued:
    On the next example the tooling and labeling changes including "made in USA" now absent on all 3 (coming below, more of the same).
    IMG_3480.JPG
    IMG_3483.JPG
    IMG_3484min.JPG

IMG_3481.JPG

IMG_3482.JPG
    --------------------------------------------

IMG_3443.JPG
    IMG_3471min.JPG

IMG_3444.JPG
    -----------------------------------------

IMG_3468.JPG

IMG_3470.JPG
    IMG_3472min.JPG

IMG_3469.JPG
    thx omc

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  2. Afterburner

Early ones are nice with retro colors! You have a fine set of good quality fuel bottles.

First ones seems to have a rolled 'mouth'. Later ones seems to have machined 'mouth'.