Some Phoebus 30 info

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by OMC, Aug 20, 2019.

1. OMC

OMC Subscriber

As I eyed purchase of my 30, I reviewed CCS details and will share here some info that is beginning to come together. Corrections welcome.
    Credit is due and my thanks to many members who have posted examples and researched before me. Notably (for this post), @Radler and Gieorgi added some key relevant details which are much appreciated.
    I thank you all.
    My focus was limited to No.30... granted Phoebus production / timeline may well be explained elsewhere, IE
    1887 an established manufacturer
    1901 name: Gerson Boehm & Rosenthal, Wien
    name: Maschinenfabrik Josef Rosenthal. MJR logo is trademarked, it seems plausible at this time *"PHOEBUS" name may also have been trademarked, by the maker MJR?
    *PHOEBUS: Greco Roman light / bright hence the gleaming bright lighthouse logo (applies moreso to 191x / 192x Phoebus lamps?, I'm a stovie).
    1938 Note 1 Austria incorporated into Germany by Hitler. c1938-? : Co. changed, name: Phoebus-Werke AG … the only period "MADE IN GERMANY" was stamped into Phoebus stoves
    1945 - 55. Phoebus Werke AG was under Russian rules source
    1955 end Russian control, Austria is (again) officially an independent nation (and member of the UN).​
    -----------------

I'm not offering following details in exact sequence. I do suggest sequence of 2 line items: "Z-last one" and
    #1 Doug's bun foot as the earliest version, with early large reserve lid, lg. boss on side of tank,
    early burner, riser & legs.
    Brought to my attention: Tin is unlike any Phoebus examples (there are bun foot examples in this same "Fogão" tin. So, tin was outsourced, maybe? (other Traveler models outsourced containers).

dougbrnr12.jpg

[[ 1890 as an established manufacturer, could make very early stoves/lamps ? 1916 name Maschinenfabrik Josef Rosenthal aligns with MJR logo. It
    seems No.30 production could have begun, anywhere: 19teens to mid 1920s? ]]
    ------------------------------

TANK: from what we see, the 1 pint tank of same shape with the same text stamped on top (on Doug's) continued from beginning to the end of production (after '55) ...all w/same logo (4X on the top).
    IE:
    ROBBlogoname&BossB.JPG
    All 30s have same text atop of tank, the only exception, the few WW2 years that text: MADE IN GERMANY replaced the MADE IN AUSTRIA.

Due to tank details (primary method) being not as helpful for the No.30s (most are the same tanks). Below is best effort of tentative sequence of No.30 production using other details.
    hold comments until "end"

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  2. OMC

OMC Subscriber

#1 is Doug's bun foot above
    --------------

1 … next is ...T, U, V... (of course : ) )
    T. next may be Bryan's example with boss on side (like Doug's) but smaller reserve lid and folding feet. Ross 2010 comment: "I actually think it is earlier than the leg boss versions - otherwise this would have to be quite a late model - late 50's or later. Tin is much older than that..."
    --------------------

now we move onto MOST examples, most examples use the most common No.30 tank, shown above: small male fitting atop tank (threaded in & out), sm. male reserve lid parks on leg bracket. This setup in-use before, during and after WW2.

U. Retro Camper's I lean towards his being earlier: common tank, tin is not a later version and burner has only PHOEBUS atop, burner similar/same as Doug's. Note legs & what may be early draught shield. <-- his and similarly Iani's (do we rule out 1920s / late-20s for these?)

----------------------

3. OMC

OMC Subscriber

V. Ross's (& Tony's & ROBB's ), Ross estimates 1930s.
    See the text atop his burner (incl. and the drought shield in-use for this and all the later examples.

ross12.jpg ----------------------------

4. OMC

OMC Subscriber

W. Here is Sternenlicht's Made in Germany 30
    [ see note 1 above applies to this stove, " …this is the only period "MADE IN GERMANY" was stamped into Phoebus stoves. ]
    Radler estimates a tight window on birth date of this example 1938/39.
    I am thinking among the changes in c1938 was the tin? (earlier tins top has embossed-rib border, later tops are smooth). Here is another Made in Germany 30 link

Here is text atop Sternenlicht's burner:
    Sternenlicht30.JPG
    -------------------

5. OMC

OMC Subscriber

X. have a look at Dutchmike's , I'm thinking his says MADE IN AUSTRIA <-- and that, is the ONLY difference between his and Sternenlicht's [GERMAN 1938/39] above. ???

So, might this be the 1st post WW2 version (minus "GERMANY") ? c1945? and this version offered c1945/46 -to- ???

------------------------

Y. The next 2 post WW2 examples, , still same burner, 1 is in steel tin, 1 is in aluminum tin.
    Y1 Iani's in embossed steel tin.

Y2 Ross's in embossed aluminum tin. Y1 & Y2 both add text: " NUR FÜR PETROLEUM " stamped on the side of the tank.
    ------------------------

6. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Z-last version we have DaveC's, Radler estimates as probably made after 1955 (Tin similar to Dutchmike's, stove like Y1 & Y2) but DaveC's is latest example we see. His has this atop the burner:
    DaveC30.JPG
    -----------------------

Re the Russian text and Arabic script atop of burners, a comparison suggesting...

tagRussArabc.JPG
    upper sample = Ross,Tony,ROBB preWW2 burner
    lower sample = DaveC burner c1955 and later burner
    ---------------------- end

tags: ФЕВУС , Феб(ус) , Феб , Фебус

wiki note: Apollo's chief epithet was Phoebus: ( / fi:bɘs/ FEE-bɘs; Φοῖβος, Phoibos)​

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019