SotM (Stove of the Month) November 2020

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Spiritburner, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Open season again - simply enter your best, favourite, most interesting, whatever 'camp stove'.

We'll not rule out domestic ranges, boat stoves, etc - throw them into the mix too. Fuel - any. The only exclusion I'd like to impose is full-on kitchen 'cookers' not designed to be portable. Not clear? I'll shout up if I see one!

Post your nomination as a reply to this post.

The rules.
    • Stove must feature in the Stove Reference Gallery (SRG) with a link posted in the entry. So now's the time to get those stoves photographed & posted! If it's been listed for years already that is ok too.
    • Maximum of 2 pictures in the entry. The pictures must show the stove working & in it's entirety. More pictures can of course be shown in the linked SRG entry - as many as you want!
    • Previous winning entries are excluded.
    • Stove must be presently owned by the member.
    • One entry per member.
    This nominations post will be open for the month of November. At the end of the month the post will be closed & the qualifying stoves placed in a blind poll for members to vote for. The poll will remain open for 1 week. Most votes is the winner.

The winner will get a SotM Winner notation on their posts & profile & a £10 voucher code from The Fettlebox

Good luck & have fun

2. Robert Radcliffe

Robert Radcliffe United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

3. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

@Robert Radcliffe - now that really is Mar-Vil-ous, a Villiers Mar-Vil that actually works. And clearly works very well:shock: :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

4. Robert Radcliffe

Robert Radcliffe United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Well it can be a battle to get it going that's for sure, however if you win that battle it gives one of my very favourite flame patterns.

5. MrAlexxx

MrAlexxx SotM Winner Subscriber

I tried for a Villiers a couple times but lost out. One I'd like. :thumbup:

Alex

6. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Had this 1930's Monitor Major for a lot of years but only just fettled it this week. I was very pleased to be gifted this by Colin at our very first CCS get-together at Napton in 2004. Don't see many of these!

SRG listing.

major1.jpg

major2.jpg

7. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

My Borde, featured HERE in the Stove Reference Gallery is my favourite.

It has a couple of associations with stove fettling adventures that create the bond, primarily because it was a gift from @Doug L in thanks for THIS repair I did on his Optimus No.9, but also because in repairing the Borde itself I used the ‘hypodermic needle insert’ technique that I evolved from an idea of Doug’s.

E2F65B7F-5613-419F-8DDE-E77062A2335D.jpeg

Besides, it has an unbeatable flame pattern and controlling it with the metal hooked device is an absolute hoot!

C7E2F291-A1B5-494C-BE41-C1DCA98B1FDD.jpeg

John

8. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

I choose 'favorite' out of the options (though 'best' and 'most interesting' are not too far behind).

That is my Optimus 00 (the one with the aberrant latter-day Primus 210 badging). I bought a NOS one in its tin in 2002 or so. In March of 2007, I took it on a backpack trip to Ipsut Creek in Mt. Rainier Nat'l Park. We unboxed it there and lit it for the first time.

I say 'favorite', because while it is of course a classic, it was in addition the stove that marked my return to backpacking after a hiatus of decades; this was a huge milestone for me, because beginning then we've had 14 seasons straight of great backpacking trips.

Christine holds the newly assembled stove for its first duty:

[​IMG]

And here it is in operation at Echo Lake, in the Norse Peak Wilderness, on a hike in the following season, in June of 2008. This photo, is of course, my avatar pic.

[​IMG]

SRG link Optimus 00/Primus 210 rebadge

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2020 at 10:12 PM
  9. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

@Ed Winskill Having a beautiful woman displaying your stove is kind of cheating isn't it? She's got my vote.

Ben

10. Ed Winskill

You've got that right, Ben. She's our firstborn, and my regular backpacking companion. Of course, she features in many an Action Gallery report.
    Here's another photo from that first hike, standing at the riverbed of the Carbon.

[​IMG]

That'll be that...don't want to sidetrack the thread too much!

11. Sternenlicht

Sternenlicht Subscriber

I would like to present my favourite holiday stove, my first Phoebus 625.
    With that stove my interest in classic camp stoves began. In 2012 I was looking for a new stove, because my first stove, the Primus Varifuel began to clog.
    Due to very helpful hints and comments from that forum I found a Phoebus 625, refurbished it and it became my most used stove on camping trips.

It is a very reliable, robust and silent (!) stove.

[​IMG]

Freshly refurbished Phoebus from 2012. On that picture you can see the strokes of the brush from the repaint. I repainted it with a very old heat resistant paint which I got from my father. But it didn't work that good, so I had to remove it and paint it with new colour from the aerosol can.

[​IMG]

In France on one of our camping trips. One of our favourite dishes; fried gilthead... lecker!

12. Ed Winskill

13. Doug L

Doug L Subscriber