SotM (Stove of the Month) October 2021

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Spiritburner, Oct 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Open season this month as I'm late setting this months theme - AGAIN! Simply enter your best, favourite, most interesting, whatever 'camp stove'. It doesn't even have to be working so no fettling required for this short month!

We'll not rule out domestic ranges, boat stoves, etc - throw them into the mix too. Fuel - any. The only exclusion I'd like to impose is full-on kitchen 'cookers' not designed to be portable. Not clear? I'll shout up if I see one!

Post your nomination as a reply to this post.

The rules.
    • Stove must feature in the Stove Reference Gallery (SRG) with a link posted in the entry. So now's the time to get those stoves photographed & posted! If it's been listed for years already that is ok too.
    • Maximum of 2 pictures in the entry. More pictures can of course be shown in the linked SRG entry - as many as you want!
    • Stove must be presently owned by the member.
    • One entry per member.
    This nominations post will be open for the month of October. At the end of the month the post will be closed & the qualifying stoves placed in a blind poll for members to vote for. The poll will remain open for 1 week. Most votes is the winner.

The winner will get a SotM Winner notation on their posts & profile & a £10 voucher code from The Fettlebox

Good luck & have fun

2. Tom Pedersen

Tom Pedersen Denmark Subscriber

3. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Townson & Coxson twin burner gasoline stove, made for military use, 1953, featured in the Stove Reference Gallery HERE.

Photo with the tank-top heat shield removed to provide a glimpse of the twin fuel tanks, interconnected to feed both burners.

EA758DC6-3FB0-4580-AE05-722A5BEEC379.jpeg

4. Dave1000car

Dave1000car Ireland Subscriber

5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Greetings, All,

Even though this stove is still waiting for me to get back to it, I have been making a little progress on it! It's my 1936-1937 Montgomery Wards Favor (made by Prentice Wabers). I spent a huge amount of time searching for, and gathering documentation on this lovely cabin range, and it was well worth the efforts! I have now found new/old knobs for all the burners, and scored a pair of original pulls for the oven, and fuel access doors. The stove, however, remains wrapped, and deeply placed in a storage unit, until other tasks are accomplished, so I'll finally have the room to replace any and all seals, and clean the fuel tank, inside and out. Then, I will finally be able to fire up this lovely example of a cabin range! Thanks for checking it out, and God Bless!

Doc

3.jpg

7.jpg

Found here in the Reference Gallery, along with all the documentation I found for it:

1936-1937 Prentiss Wabers Table Top #440P, for Home, Cottage, and Camp.

6. A A C

A A C Norway Subscriber

Lux No.15
    Lovely condition for its age (from the 1920’s ?) though I say so myself
    D0832D97-25E5-4908-85CB-A0793FAFDEFD.jpeg 9473F81B-7BE5-4755-A096-B14BFBFC4FA7.jpeg

7. Staffan Rönn

Staffan Rönn SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

An Optimus 182F (nickel plated) cooking on top of our original 1935 coke fired AGA (the latter definitely not portable...). Together with the 182 I have an original studio photo for advertising of the 182 range with refusal comments and directions on what to improve for the next photo shoot.

As featured here: Optimus 182 (F) nickel plated

182k_2.jpg

img471.jpg

8. Daryl

Daryl United States SotM Winner Subscriber

Turner Brass Works Model 1161. A 'Camp stove' needs to be portable, sturdy, multi burner and easy to operate. This 1930's Turner fits the bill with built in pump it is ready in a flash, large enough two burner grate and is very dependable. link

20210408_073659.jpg 100_7967.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2021
  9. Ben Hall

Ben Hall United States Subscriber

1977 US Army "Burner Unit, Gasoline, Model M2A" sometimes referred to as an M2A "Bomb Unit" as they tend to explode when operated improperly.

SRG link: US Army M2A Burner Unit

While arguably not a classic, I dare say that this is a great choice for camping with a large crowd of people. It's capable of putting out something like 55,000 BTU/hr or 16 kW/hr and runs on gasoline / petrol. It has a 2 gallon fuel tank and when operated at a high rate of fire, it can burn that 2 gallons in 4 hours!

As you can see by the Primus No. 1 type stove sitting on top, this is a very large stove!

Height: 10 inches / 25.4 cm
    Length: 23 inches / 58.4 cm
    Width: 19 inches / 48.3 cm

Weight (empty): 42 pounds / 19.07 kg

I have it on top of a wooden stand I built, which those of you who have seen my US Army Modern Burner Unit (MBU) SRG write-up may recognize.

I've got a lot more information on this unit written up in the SRG link. I bought it as a heat source for brewing 5 gallon / 22 liter batches of homebrew beer, and it works excellently for this purpose.
    IMG_5440.JPG

IMG_5461.JPG

thanks much,
    ben

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.