SotM (Stove of the Month) September 2021

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Spiritburner, Sep 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

This month it's a contest featuring the 'two-pinters' - with fixed legs/pan supports eg the Optimus 5, Primus 1 etc etc. Roarer or silent. See rules below - don't forget the Stove Reference Gallery!

Post your nomination as a reply to this post.

The rules.

• Stove must feature in the Stove Reference Gallery (SRG) with a link posted in the entry. So now's the time to get those stoves photographed & posted! If it's been listed for years already that is ok too.
    • Maximum of 2 pictures in the entry. The pictures must show the stove working & in it's entirety. More pictures can of course be shown in a linked SRG entry - as many as you want!
    • Previous winning entries are excluded.
    • Stove must be presently owned by the member.
    • One entry per member.
    This nominations post will be open for the month of September. At the end of the month (midnight BST) the post will be closed & the qualifying stoves placed in a blind poll for members to vote for. The poll will remain open for 1 week. Most votes is the winner.

The winner will get a SotM Winner notation on their posts & profile & a £10 voucher code from The Fettlebox. The winning stove will also be entered into the Stove of the Year vote the following January.

Good luck & have fun

2. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

1910 Pyro Patent which has some really unique features. It is designed to be self lighting and can be used with or without its pump. The wooden knob releases the pressure in the tank to shut the stove off. The released vapors are directed up to the burner where they're consumed thus eliminating any kerosene odor. It's worth a look at he Reference Gallery entry here. The original instructions with an English translation can be found in the Reference Library here.

01.JPG

12.JPG

Ben

3. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Thermidor 2-pint, British War Department issue 1939 date, in SRG HERE.

4B394682-57E9-4E7E-8CA7-4730FAD3AEA6.jpeg

DA8401B3-B14F-40BC-A9FA-CF8DE3FBEA7F.jpeg

John

4. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

5. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

6. Jaime Massang

Jaime Massang Australia Subscriber

Primus No.1 ('B': 1912)

(It is my oldest and arguably, best working stove.)

Stove Reference gallery link:

Primus No.1 ('B':1912)

IMG_2226.jpg IMG_2216.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2021
  7. Ben Hall

Ben Hall United States Subscriber

Good morning all,

Here's my Svea No. 16, as shown in the Stove Reference Gallery here: Another Svea No. 16

This stove is my second foray into the world of kerosene pressure stoves, the first being an unknown 2-pint unit my father bought second-hand when I was a young boy about, oh, 40 years ago now. ;) Never could get that stove to work properly - while my father and I had a lot of experience on gasoline-fueled stoves made by Coleman et al, we had no understanding of kerosene, that pre-heating was required, and that stove was, if I remember correctly, a roarer burner that was missing the flame plate...but we didn't know any of that at the time.

This Svea number 16 is my return to those days of my youth, almost like a redemption for never getting that original stove to work? It came from the e-place, I probably paid too much, and is clearly very well used. It came with a completely roasted flame spreader that was thin, beat-up, and brittle. The spirit cup also leaked and I later found out that it was almost fully cracked around it's inner perimeter as it broke off.

With the external NRV, it was dated in the SRG as late 1930's, maybe even early 1940's.

In the photos, it has a replacement spirit cup and flame spreader. There was a small leak where the pump body meets the tank, so that has been repaired with solder. Other than that, I've done very little other than cleaning the burner (glow and blow method), replacing the NRV pip, replacing the fuel tank cap gasket, and oiling the pump leather. At some point that pump leather will need replaced, while it still works, it is close to end of life.

In the "action" photo below, the camera made the flame look a LOT more yellow than it really is. I was also fighting a light breeze and dodging the rain, so it appears to be burning very unevenly. Without the wind, it has a fair even flame but isn't perfect.

I plan to clean the stove just a little bit more, removing dirt, but leaving the patina. It has several dents so will never be "like new" so I plan to leave it in its "work clothes" as a friend of mine would put it. :)

Thanks much,
    ben
    svea16-11reduced.jpg svea16-10reduced.jpg

8. A A C

A A C United Kingdom Subscriber

Primus No.401
    - steel tank
    - original burner (marked VV)
    This is maybe the stove I own which I treasure most .
    I found it in a charity shop in a very dilapitated condition .
    After much support , help and advice from members here I got it into a functioning condition .
    3D148382-8A81-4E29-9F6B-AEDECB97124A.jpeg
    C6BD4ADF-84CC-4F91-81AB-B6E52DD5AA1D.jpeg

Other images in the gallery .
    Primus No 401

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  9. kohdarmiansali

Hi
    It was great I enjoyed
    Old stoves

Thank you. Good Night

10. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

After a determined attempt to resurrect another/interesting stove for this challenge, it is sadly not to be! :cry:

Here's a favourite 2-pinter of mine instead, doing what it does best!
    Belting out heat to boil water for tea :mrgreen:

Primus No.16 - SRG Link HERE

oDSC_1300.jpg

oDSC_1301.jpg

Alec.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.