SOTO MICRO REGULATOR OD-1R GAS STOVE

Discussion in 'Japan' started by kaw550red, Sep 20, 2011.

1. kaw550red

kaw550red RIP

1316509279-Ass_opt_opt.jpg 1316509321-Pack_opt.jpg
    1316511131-Soto_box_opt_opt.jpg 1316509374-Soto_Performance_opt.jpg

This is different from the stoves that I normally post but I have always been interested in most types stoves. Whilst I usually would use paraffin stoves that is because their performance is consistent through all temperatures. Gas (butane, propane and gas mixtures) stoves come in some very neat designs but their main drawback is that they perform poorly in low air temperatures.

This is the latest attempt to get consistent performance in all temperatures. The test information is presented fairly however you are unlikely to get the boiling times in use in low temperatures. The water was kept at a constant 20ºC for the start of all tests. Whilst this is sensible for test comparisons you are unlikely to have water with a starting temperature of 20ºC in cold camping conditions so your boiling times will be longer but still considerably shorter than other gas stoves

I was curious to know whether the claims were justified but could not control the air temperature to test the claims. Instead I packed a gas cartridge in ice cubes for 1.5 hours before testing the stove. The left photo shows the stove on a cartridge at air temperature. The right photo shows the stove on the chilled gas cartridge. I could see little difference in performance although the chilled cartridge seemed to give a better flame but the normal temperature cartridge was an old partly used cartridge and the propane may have burnt out of the gas mixture.

1316509395-Normal_cartridge_opt.jpg 1316509412-Cold_cartridge_opt.jpg

How does it work? According to the makers claims it is because of the micro regulator however this only controls the flow of the gas to the burner. It cannot have any preheating function. I suspect that one of the reasons is the distance between the jet and the burner head which seems greater than on normal gas stoves. I suspect that this is acting as a preheating chamber ensuring that the gas is properly vapourised when it reaches the burner

Regards Bryan

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. SNOWGOOSE

Hi Bryan,

Coincidently the TGO ran some stove reviews in the October issue:

1316528638-soto001_opt.jpg

1316528669-soto002_opt.jpg
    1316528704-soto003_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  3. kaw550red

kaw550red RIP

Hi Robert

I was very curious about the stoves but did not fancy the UK price so I did a search on ebay and found some in the States for a lot less money so bought one. Even with postage there was a good saving.

Unfortunately UK customs have become a lot more vigilant and I got zapped for VAT. At £6.70 that was not expensive but Royal Mail add an £8 administration cost to the VAT so it costs £14.70 for a £6.70 VAT bill.

The rules are relatively simple but have previously generally been ignored by customs. Goods imported into the EU with a value over £18 are subject to VAT. Gifts over £40 from one person to another are subject to Customs charges. Goods Over £135 are liable for Import Duty charges. I have no idea of the rate for the customs charges or import duty.

If you are thinking of buying goods from abroad you should bear the above charges in mind because it looks as if customs are going to take their entitlement instead of ignoring small charges.

Even with the VAT added I think that I still saved about £20 by importing the stove into the UK

Regards Bryan

4. SNOWGOOSE

Luckily, the last item I bought from a "cottage" manufacturer in the States very kindly put the value as $20 instead of $200 on the customs label!

I'm awaiting another item from him and hoping he has done the same this time!!

Much easier for "custom" jobs, no pun intended, as Customs don't have a benchmark for items not generally advertised.

Cheers,

Rob

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  5. kaw550red

kaw550red RIP

Hi Rob

The customs situation is taking its toll on delivery times as well as our pockets

It took the stove 3 weeks to reach me. About 8 years ago it took 3 days for a stove to reach me from the States which was as quick as one posted in this country.

The additional time must be while the items are standing in customs at each side of the Atlantic. Stuff leaving the States must need to be cleared for flying.

It was described as Sporting Goods on the customs slip.

Regards Bryan

6. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Good Morning, Gentlemen,

Should any of you, or our other CCS Old Timers, wish to own one of these little wonders, or anything else, for that matter, please know that I will happily undertake working as your "broker". You can pay for your stove, or whatever, on your end, but have them send it to me, whereupon I shall send it to you as a gift, with a small value. As I am one who considers your VAT system to be onerous and punitive, I am happy to do what I can do help you smooth the road a little. I hope and pray that we never adopt such a system in the States, and if it is actually proposed, I will spend a great deal of time, money, and effort to help defeat the entire idea. Let me know if I can be of service. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

7. RonPH

Thats really generous of you Doc, as always you have set an example to all stovies who emulate your always good side. Hip-hip Hooray!

Ron