Source for replacement stove keys

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Robin Mikell, May 28, 2020.

1. Robin Mikell United States

Hello all, I guess I am relatively new here. I have a small stove collection I will share soon but for all the budget fettlers like me, I have found a source for missing parts. They are not original ( apologies to the exact part). As for stove keys, any of the major auction sites sell keys. House keys, skeleton keys and CLOCK KEYS. Some clock keys come in 3,4,5 mm square and are long enough to use in an 82, Svea, or Optimus. The second item is the flame spreader. There are the cross type and silent burner covers. Your local engine machine shop has brass freeze plugs. Using an old flame spreder as a pattern, I laid on top of an 1' 7/8 cup type plug. Copy the design and cut out. As far as silent burners, 2 1/8 deep cup brass freeze plugs supply the blank. Its up to the craftsman to drill the holes. I have experimented with these and if done well, can hardly be distinguished from the original.

2. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

3. The Warrior

The Warrior United States Subscriber

Good info, thanks. Be cool if you posted a few photos of your creations.

4. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

Interesting
    We love pictures
    Thanks for sharing

5. Robin Mikell United States

I try to "restore" the stoves I find. Im 67, I camped,hunted, and fished all my adult life. I have used these stoves in THE MOST ADVERSE conditions including hurricanes, floods and the like. I dont sell my restorations, but gift them to my extended family. ( Future recipients bet on the 8R's or the 123's.) 3 generations using stoves that are older than the people owning them. It instills pride in quality that is rare these days. Therefore, when I "restore" one of these for gifting, function over form insues. A clock key instead of an original knob. The knob can go for $10-$30 U S. I can buy clock keys by the pound. Same for the flame spreaders and silent burners. I am a "purist" as far as my personal collection goes, but to get one into the hands of a grandson, I expidite matters with parts that will safely work. On top of that, an old antique clock key replete with embellishments has its own story to tell.

6. lant-ern

Robin ,cooks not looks .That is what most stoves were made for..

Ernie