South African Primus #1 (?)

Discussion in 'South Africa' started by Doc Mark, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Greetings, All,

Some years back, our very good friend, and former CCS member, Al Gentry, sold off a bunch of his stoves on the bay of evil, and I bought a few of them to support his efforts.

One was marked with the usual "Primus registered", twice, on the font, but other than one more marking on the burner, that was about it. The stove did have a trivet, also marked "Primus". The font is thin, plated steel, and it definitely shows wear & tear, and a hard life, IMHO. Al had listed this stove in the Stove Reference Gallery, here:

Primus What?

Lately, we've been kicking it around as to just where this stove was manufactured, and though we'd not come up with anything solid, I spent some time here on CCS this morning, and believe I've solved the mystery. Some time ago, @optipri posted an almost identical stove, aside from the burner, complete with it's box and such!! Here's a link to that post:

Cadac Primus

Please take a look at the photos I took this morning, after having found my old Primus in the Hobbit Hole, in a place I'd not thought it would be!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

After an application of some spit:

11.jpg

The pump bucket is made of some sort of silicone rubber, or plastic.

12.jpg

Probably changeable, but not in the way we are used to, it seems.

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Not a good photo of the NRV, but despite the illusion, it's of the type we all know and love.

16.jpg

As the burner is made under license to Primus, it seems to be of pretty good quality. The tank, etc., isn't horrible, but not as nice as a regular Swedish-made Primus.

17.jpg

The spirit cup is made of aluminum, as are parts of the pump setup. The fuel cap/vent screw are made of brass.

18.jpg

Well, there you have it, Gentlemen and Ladies. I think that, after looking at Bo's South African Primus, I can easily see that mine is virtually the same, except the silent, and possibly better made burner, and a few tiny details! Thanks, Bo, for helping me FINALLY figure out what my stove actually is, and where it was made!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

PS - @Spiritburner , @Christer Carlsson , would one of you please change the title of this thread to: "South African Cadac Primus". Many thanks, Gentlemen!!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  2. Andrew

Nice stove.
    I have not found one for myself yet without the bottom rusted out.
    Maybe I should go to some places other than the scrap metal dealers.

3. Doc Mark

Hi, @Andrew ,

Thanks for your nice comment. I would have guessed that there would be quite a few of these stove around, in your area. Do you have antique stores, and flea markets where you live? I'd look there, rather than at the scrap metal dealers alone. The more places you look, the better your chances of scoring a stove like this. Look on ebay, too. My own stove was bought, by the Gentleman from whom I bought it, on the bay, and later, when he decided to sell it, I bought it from him, again, on the bay. Cost me all of $15. Good luck, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

4. Doc Mark

Greetings, @kerophile ,

George, did you have a chance to check out this post, as of yet? I'm thinking that, after seeing Bo's Cadac Primus, mine was also made by that company. Don't know about the date of manufacture, though. Might be contemporary to Bo's, but many from a bit later. Any thoughts? Thanks for any comments or thoughts you might have on this. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

PS - Thanks, also, to @Staffan Rönn , for all the outstanding documentation he has shared about such things as licensing agreements. After reading the information in the following link, I'm even more convinced that my own licensed Primus was made in this way.

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/1957-primus-license-agreement-for-south-africa.39703/

5. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

6. Doc Mark

HI, @kerophile ,

Thanks, George! Very interesting reading. I do remember back when all this was happening, and my heart went out to those who were suffering under the yoke of oppression in their own Country! Thanks, again, for shining the light on this, and reminding us all of those days. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

7. optipri

optipri Subscriber

Looks identical to mine except for the burner.
    But of course it was available in both silent and roarer version, as stamped on the box of mine.
    I still have a number of them NIB, only tested in the Bahco laboratory.
    I have no use for them so if anyone is interested to get one, just pt me.

Bo

8. Doc Mark

Morning, @optipri ,

Bo, it's always good to hear from you, my friend! Thanks for your comments about my stove. I carefully compared it to yours, and like you, think it's the same, except for the burner. The plating on mine seems to be fairly thin, and it has lots of rust dots showing through. Internally, the font is rusty, but does not seem to be rusted-through in any way.

As to your supply of these Cadac Primus stoves, there is interest from @Andrew , as seen further up in this thread, in getting something like that. You might drop him a line, if he doesn't see this post and respond here. He may relieve you of one of those. Thanks again, for your comments, and best to you and yours in 2020!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

9. goldwinger11

goldwinger11 United States Subscriber

Interesting thread. I had never come across the Cadac Primus stoves. I had only ever seen the brass Primus stoves. Any input as to when the steel ones were produced? 1990s? I'm guessing that When Cadac took over production, they were steel.

10. Staffan Rönn

Staffan Rönn SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber