Spare Parts Kits

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by MTCamper, Mar 10, 2010.

1. MTCamper

Another rookie question.....

Why do spare parts kits for Svea 123R/8R/99 etc. contain so many parts:
    spindle, stuffing box, jet, brass washer, cleaning needle, graphite packing

It seems that the only part that would typically wear out and need to be replaced would be the graphite.

Do these other parts get so much wear that they also need to be replaced from time to time :?:

Lonnie

2. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

some of these stoves are OLD!
    The graphite wears out after years of use.
    spindles bend, teeth break.
    cleaning needles break.
    tank lid seals harden.
    Think of it as an overhaul kit ;)
    Or you can buy 1 of each for a lot more $$$ than the kit...
    or you can fix several stoves at one time!

3. Knight84

Steve is right.

The jet wears out. The orifice becomes larger and therefore the stove runs rich. A new jet can bring new life to a stove and save you fuel, time and money. The spindle tip wears out. It is a brass to brass seal that stops the flow of fuel. Though they can be repaired but like Steve said they bend too.

The kits are well worth the money.

Jeff

4. hikin_jim

So, interesting topic that's come up here. I've got a 123R that won't shut off when I close the valve. I have to use the cleaning needle to shut off the stove which is not recommended. I'm thinking that I need to replace the spindle. Does that sound right?

HJ

5. itchy

Jim,

Sounds possible to me. If a good cleaning and checking the cleaning needle setting did not help, that would be my next guess also. Just a visual inspection of point on the removed spindle may give you the answer.

6. MTCamper

HJ, From all my reading on the subject I would say that is caused by the cleaning needle being set wrong. Which, I suppose, could mean a bad tooth on the spindle, or just an incorrect setting.

What prompted me to pose the question in the first place was the fact that I'm working on two stoves, neither of which was used much, but they were filthy and have been sitting around for decades. Rubber seals hardened and bad for sure, but the brass parts look good. I planned on just replacing the graphite packing but I've never seen them for sale outside of the kit, which contains many parts I don't think I need. Well, not entirely true, Basecamp shows them as a part I could get but to have to order from the U.K. for just a couple washers seems, well, ridiculous.
    I guess I can buy the kits and keep any unused parts for future stoves (I'm sure there will be a few!!!).

7. RonPH

HJ, the reason perhaps it does not shut off is the spindle does not go all the way into the hole to close it as the needle is seated all the way down. The best way is to first remove the cleaning needle and turn the spindle all the way shut, then the needle is set on top and while turning the spindle counter clockwise (open position) count how many times the needle jumps (clicks). Usually 3 clicks works and should cure the problem. Its a trial and error, some require 4 clicks. This is only done after making sure the teeth on both the spindle and needle are not toothless or damaged. Using the pencil eraser to align the needle to the spindle tooth (a trick I read somewhere in the forum).

As for MTcamper, well as an example, the MSR pump maintenance kit costs $15, some of the parts and o-ring are not needed (at this time) while the fuel bottle caps which has the o-ring I need is only $1.40 so instead, I got the caps (whatever is left on the display shelve (3), removed the new o-ring and placed it in the pump, and the old o-ing went back into the fuel bottle cap (but marked it as old o-ring) saving me more than $10.

Ron

8. hikin_jim

You can get graphite tape and coil it in a tight roll, forming a washer similar to what would come in a repair kit.

If you can't find graphite tape, you can get graphite cord.
    |imgRemoved|
    The cord isn't as convenient, but it will work. You would need to twist it tightly around the spindle and then screw in the spindle. You can kind of guide it in/hold it in place with a thing metal rod. I was able to get some of the cord at the local hardware store.

HJ

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  9. hikin_jim

Ah, I see. The needle could be blocking things. I hadn't thought of that. This is my first "R" version Svea 123.

So, I close the valve, drop in the needle, slowly open the valve listening for clicks, and then what? After three clicks, begin closing the valve and the fire the stove to see if the seal is good?

And what does it mean to "align" the needle? How on earth would a pencil eraser help? :?

Very resourceful! If you (or anyone else) needs some MSR "O" rings of the size that fit on the fuel cap (and also fit on older MSR pumps), let me know. The local Sport Chalet near me sells them for about 65 or 75 cents each. Happy to mail them to you or anyone who might need some.

HJ

10. MTCamper

11. Knight84

Yes one draw back of this style of cleaning needle is knowing how to set it. That said it is one of the better than most stoves I see. Stupid Nova! ](*,)

Cheers,
    Jeff