Stolen from a second hand shop & a 40 year old mystery solved

Discussion in 'South Africa' started by It'l Dodat, Dec 1, 2020.

1. It'l Dodat

Ok so stolen is a wee bit o' "author's licence" but since I only paid 300ZAR (about 20 USD) I think "stolen" is as close to dammit is to swearing...​

What this is, is an original 1970's South African Army, Cadac 2 burner stove, unused, factory test fired only - the burners are / were still light bluecomplete with cadac lamp & spares container with all the spares...

So what are the chances that I walk into a second hand shop, one of thousands of second hand shops right on the other side of Johannesburg, see the case, and without opening it (Don't want to attract attention) prod the assistant "I'll offer 300 for that suitcase"..... No manager / owner around, and he agrees......

Stolen...... stove gas 2 burner new b.jpg

So what's the 40 year mystery? well see, I've got one of these already that, back in 1974, when done with my compulsary military service snuck into my duffle bag came home with me... (That's my story, an I'm sticking to it) and I've always wondered what the hell the spring thingie on the windshield flap was for as well as the two clips attached to the base under the pot stands...

stove gas 2 burner new h.jpg

stove gas 2 burner new d.jpg

stove gase 2 burner new c.jpg

Well, as you can imagine, I hot footed it outta that shop...... Left the assistant with a way out, didn't even want a reciept.......

When I opened this one.............. well the spring thingie is for the spares container and the clips are to hold the lamp!

In all the years I've never known what that's for... So that's the 40 year old mystery...

The fitting on the pipe, screws into a propane tank yet has a secondry place to screw in the lamp

The lamp has been used a few times... but who cares... It's a gorgous beast.... 100 % bullet proof, heavy as hell but NOTHING stops this beast from doing it's job...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  2. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

It's a great feeling when you find a stove you have been looking for a long time. Congratulations :thumbup:

3. SveaSizzler

SveaSizzler United States Subscriber

That is neater than sliced bread. A little gas mantle lantern to light up the cooking.
    Is the blue cylinder refillable?
    Definately worth 300 Zanzibars.

4. It'l Dodat

Morning Svea...
    Yes the blue cylinder is refillable.
    I have converted my 2002 Landrover Disco II into a one-person-one-dog camper. Space inside is aadequate but scarce. I have smaller gas-bottles that I use, and re-fill from a big (9kg) one on the roofrack, using a pipe and a fitting at each end. basically, it equalises pressure & I'm good to go.