Storm Cooker In A Hurricane ?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Cookie, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Cookie

Cookie United States Subscriber

So apparently I have come with another way to tell if your a stovie :lol:. Wait until the power goes out, you have a hankering for some coffee, go outside while it's still having 90 mph (144 km/h) sustained winds during a category two hurricane (Sally), and try to light your Trangia 25 with nova burner to brew a cup of coffee lol. All was going well at first until another 104 mph (164 km/h) wind burst blew the flame out. I had the holes facing away from the wind until all of a sudden the wind changed directions and hit hard. I ended up using the alcohol burner for the trangia on my kitchen stove for two days making coffee in the morning. The Coleman 428 did duty on my back porch cooking the meals for us, neighbors, and random visitors in need.

Please forgive the crappy video. I couldn't use a tripod, it's a brand new camera (still learning it), and my first ever edited video. This all combined with the spur of the moment decision to video the event and the conditions didn't help any I'm sure.

2. IvanN

IvanN United States Subscriber

That's impressive!

3. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

@Cookie

A good test for any wind shield. :clap:
    I'm glad to hear that power is all you have lost and are coping well. :thumbup:

4. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

Hang in there Cookie. Aren’t you glad you have stoves (and lanterns, I hope)? We are getting the rain today here in NC.

5. Cookie

@ROBBO55 We are fine and the power is finally back on. The trailer just past the red truck in the video had a tree fall on it and crush the master bedroom. It's currently on top of the bed. Luckily they left during the storm or someone could have been killed.

@IvanN Thanks. I really wanted to keep trying the stove but after three failed attempts from wind gusts I figured it prudent to get myself back indoors. I would have primed it more but fear of spilling excess alcohol onto the water and getting a set of flaming feet kept me from giving it too much fuel.

I'll give credit where it's due. I was honestly surprised that I was even able to get it primed in those conditions. I thought for sure that the alcohol was going to go out during priming. On one of the tries the sudden influx of air into the holes made a spectacular priming sessions by feeding the flames. The trangia system is an awesome stove system and I'm sure that if I had sheltered it then I would have had success but then again where's the fun in that :D/

6. Cookie

Cooking three cans of spam to make sandwiches for everyone
    20200916_185119.jpg
    @BradB
    Hi Brad. The Coleman 288 and the kero converted 220K both pulled duty and did an excellent job.

7. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

at 104mph I would of expected to use sandbags to prevent my triangia becoming my neighbors

8. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@Cookie ,

WOW!!! Ya' gotta give the set credit, for starting at all, even if it didn't stay lit!!! I was worried about your roof coming down on you, and glad you went back inside. Good effort, and glad your safe and sound! Take care, and God Bless!

Doc

9. Cookie

Thanks all. I live two miles inland from Escambia Bay. I forgot to mention that the fuel used was an amish mix (75/25) with some old recycled white gas from recently purchased Coleman lanterns.

These were the two trees that fell during filming
    IMG_0065.JPG IMG_0070.JPG IMG_0076.JPG

10. Cookie

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  11. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

Wowza.
    My wife would have all those potted plants inside.

The spam is making me hungry!! Gads I love SPAM

12. cottage hill bill

cottage hill bill Subscriber

I've seen way more oaks than pine trees down in this storm. Seems like lots of rain, low (relative) winds and the oaks come up by their shallow, wide roots. Little rain high winds like a Cat3 and the pines snap off. They have a huge tap root that goes straight down with large radial roots like a buried wagon wheel.

@Cookie The 3 burners are great. Lived off my 426 for 3 weeks after Ivan. For now my 500a and 502 sitting on the electric stove top are doing the job. Glad you're ok.

13. Marc

Marc Subscriber

That was quite an experience!

14. Rif

Likely telling you something you already know, but you have to be wary of wind changes with the Trangia.

I was caught out in very heavy wind by a direction change which sucked the flame on my alcohol burner downward and melted the base unit to the point that it was starting to crumble and the burner dropping through the melted top plate of the base.

I won't bore anyone with the badly burnt finger attempting too late to turn the unit back into the wind with the perforations being the desired inlet rather than the experienced exhaust.

Luckily picked up a cheap base when I cycled to the next city, but having to make do for a spell utilising a small tuna can for the alcohol burner to sit on underneath the base in the meantime for the duration of my cycle tour.

Great that you survived that storm OP as your pics and narration tell a harrowing tale.

15. Cookie

@Rif That sounds like a heavy wind alright. I hadn't really considered the fact that a wind would suck the flame and snuff it especially with the pot on since most often we worry about a direct wind on a flame. It sure can happen as well as what you describe. Windy situations can be tricky and if we are not careful they can be dangerous.

16. Rif

As you can imagine, my breakfast (porridge), was toast Cookie.

Hey just to clarify, you've typed "I had the holes facing away from the wind until all of a sudden the wind changed directions and hit hard."

You know the Trangia perforations/holes of the base are supposed to be directed into the wind so the heat is forced in an upward direction, yeah?

Great pics and movie clip by the way. Seems like you've got a handle on your new camera and your stove.

Whats the trivet (?) I think its called that you place your percolator on in the youtube clip?

I know its not original, but it looks the perfect size.

17. Cookie

@Rif I placed the holes away from the wind because when I first lit the alcohol a heavy wind caught the stove and it fueled the flames thus making them jump very high. They were so high that they were not pre-heating the stove and were a few inches above the top of wind shield with a slight yellowish tint. You can see in the video how high the pre-heating flames were with the holes facing away so just imagine double that lol.

The trivet is a 15cm steamer rack off the bay of evil for $6.99 and free shipping. It works great although I would like to get the correct one from trangia. Here is a link to it 1 PC Stainless Steel Steamer Rack Cooker 15cm/ 18cm/ 21cm/ 24cm by Haidragon | eBay

18. Rif

Yeah big wind sure adds some unwanted excitement.

I recently had to make an order from a Swedish site and it made sense to add to my order an original Trangia trivet (amongst other items), due to it not adding to the shipping costs and not having to pay something in the order of 19% VAT (tax) due to living outside the EU.

I can't see it being any better than your steamer rack in use and the difference in price makes my eyes water so I'm very impressed with your eBay find. Well done.

Thanks for the eBay link as I'm sure the knowledge will avail me some kudos amongst friends who want to be able to use a mocha unit on their Trangia, without forking out for the genuine unit that I'm sure would work no better.

I"m sure other readers of the forum will also appreciate the heads up.