Stove ID help?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by DrJ, Sep 27, 2018.

1. DrJ United States

Hi, all. Trying to learn everything possible about the camp stove used in this photo (taken c. 1915, Michigan). Appreciate any light you can shed on it! Cheers.

Camp Stove c 1915.jpg

2. OMC

OMC Subscriber

welcome DrJ,
    Michigan 1915, ... Yooper? that could be my family's hunting pals from back in the day.
    I took a quick look and initial reaction was
    fahgettaboudit
    no way
    are you kidding me.

I can't makes heads or tails out of that!!

Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at.

Often time the poster has a familiarity with an image, a better image... has better idea as they view it.
    Once posted readers, like me may not "get it", like me, now (and i'm guy anxious to learn from a stove history mystery) don't "get it" at all.

Can you add anything more?
    I'll get something initiated, stick my neck, out at risk of missing completely.
    It appears to be at least 3 separate things going on.
    Two pieces sitting perpendicular, on tiny supports? a wind screen backdrop
    > His righthand (turning stubby screwdriver?)= north,
    > grip of his left hand = south, that may be a pan or *cook surface below what he is holding? (**what does that look like?).
    > there is a plank? of sort on ground east to west and possibly,
    on the east, a tank above plank?

* I think there is a small, rectangular, circa late 1800s onward, wood (whale oil?) cooker (UK origin?) but I forget what it's called (sheep herder cooker/smoker?), there are images/posts on this site BUT that's a shot in the dark and only accounts for small steel rectangle pan on legs.
    **Some may guess borde? ok, and the rest ? incl. tank? to the east...?

totally stumped
    thanks for nothin', you are welcome
    here, omc :lol:
    EDIT ahhh! that is a fish!! damn (I told ya I couldn't make out the head nor tail hehehehe), i thought fish at first but somehow the grip of his left hand convinced me no :oops:

ok. I have no idea re what looks like a tank on left. if that were not in pic, he is simply cooking fish on an open fire, with little grate on legs... that is what I see there.
    the tank maybe a water boiler? for open fire as well?
    I've never seen anything like it. Up on legs above coals (I've not seen a fuel tank on legs), but that is looking very much like plain old open fire cooking once I get "stove" as heat out of my head. Due respect to hubby but i see no stove, that and
    I most certainly could be wrong as well.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  3. DrJ United States

LOL Okay. Here's what I've got (from various clues):

He's cooking a brook trout and is holding its tail with his right hand.

My husband says "Oh, a primus stove" (gas [kerosene, in that era?] canister to the left; possible trout is resting in small rectangular pan). Black rectangle behind = maybe a heat shield?

(There's bacon elsewhere in the photo (this is just a detail) so probably coated the pan with bacon fat.)

Beyond that, all I've got is that staring at this pic now for about a day and a half is making me unnaturally hungry.

4. DrJ United States

Oh, I forgot to add: thank you!

5. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  6. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, @DrJ ,

Welcome to CCS!! Is it possible to post the photo in much larger size? It's hard to make out any details, at all, in the very small photo that you posted. Bigger is better, when it comes to old photos, and stove identification. Thanks, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

7. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout Subscriber

I think Kerophile is probably right or at least in the ball park. Camping stoves that used liquid fuel were a rarity in 1915, especially in the US. Cooking a trout over a wood fired flame also adds to Kerophile's hunch.
    I would agree that it's some kind of wood or twig burning stove. Jerry

8. DrJ United States

Hi again. Thank you all for your help so far! I love the idea of the Boy Scout cooking outfit, Kerofile - the pictures you linked to seem spot-on.

Here's more of the original pic - it's not great quality, I'm afraid, being a cell phone pic of a print out of a not-great-quality original (I'll be looking at the original next week, though, and will share as much as I can of it afterwards).

Is it possible that this is a jerry-rigged arrangement, combining the Boy Scout cooking kit with some kind of burner? I've got other pictures of this boy using a cast-iron skillet on a campfire (seems to have been his preferred method, although he does mention also using a baker of some sort later on). This picture is the outlier.

That canister is confusing me now.

For what it's worth, his father was a scientist and loved to tinker with things.

Thanks again!

Camping Michigan 1915.jpeg

9. DrJ United States

(I'm asking for permission to share the boy's face and name from the powers-that-be... not sure that counts as "prize for the correct answer" lol - but I should have that permission shortly. Stay tuned :) And we're all grateful for your input...)

10. kerophile

Hi @Dr J. I think there are four kit items in use:

1. The support grid over the fire.

2. The frying pan on the grid.

3. The tall rectangular section vessel sitting in the fire.

4. The shallower rectangular lid, or drinking cup, on the grid.

upload_2018-9-27_16-44-49.jpeg

Above image from ADB post referenced above.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

11. DrJ United States

Hi, Kerophile - Love this, and I can follow and spot all the elements you list except the last. I've put a loupe detail on the fuller picture - this is the bit that I can't make out at all. Is that what you're seeing as the shallower vessel?

Camping Michigan 1915 Loupe.jpeg

12. kerophile

Hi Dr J Yes! But I think it is lying on its side in your photo. However, one can make out the very distinctive shape of the wire-work handle of this drinking cup.... or at least I can.

I think I can see the wire handle of the taller vessel as well.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

13. OptimusPrime Canada

...For what it's worth, his father was a scientist and loved to tinker with things....

Edison?

14. kerophile

Hi, in the largest photo you provided;is that a slice of bread, topped with an earlier cooked trout sitting on the log in the foreground?

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

15. MartyJ

MartyJ Subscriber

For what it is worth, I vote the Kook Kit. I have one also but my photos are no better then the one provided by kerophile. It was marketed to the general public, not just scouts and was bought out by Upton but mine is unmarked pending patent so early. It was patented around 1912 so a 1914 date for the photo would be correct. There was a single and a double and came out when the public was really getting into camping. Great photo and the only one I have seen in action. The Bushcraft USA link will provide a lot of discussion.

16. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

George, you have really outdone yourself this time. Having spotted this and having the links to help is 'Simply Amazing'.

17. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

@snwcmpr a clear indication of someone who has FAR too much time on his hands! ;) :lol:

Alec.

18. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Or simply a photographic memory.

19. kerophile

Hi Alec @Rangie and @snwcmpr :

“Even visual memories that seem to approach the photographic ideal are far from truly photographic. These memories seem to result from a combination of innate abilities, combined with zealous study and familiarity with the material, such as the Bible, CCS, or fine art.”

From Scientific American

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

20. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Well, I do appreciate the links that you share. Even if I do not always say so.
    You were the first to share 'stovie stuff' with me. I am grateful.

Ken