Stove recommendation for girlfriend

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Marc, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Well stovies, it finally happened. My girlfriend has requested a stove of her own.

Usage will be two fold. 1. Camping with her friends when I'm not along, and 2. Car carry for emergency use when she visits her family without me along.

Obviously, if I'm along, I'll have the stove situation well in hand.

Her request was simply that it be as easy to use as possible, and compact. To me, this means a single burner gassie. As butane doesn't work at the temps we get around here, this means propane will need to be an option.

My thought is a remote mount canister stove, a windscreen, and a propane adapter for when needed. Preferably something with a preheat loop, like the Kovea Spider or MSR Windpro, so that butane can be used in liquid feed mode. With a Kovea, we'd know the stove would function properly with the Kovea propane adapter. Remote mount makes for a more stable platform than canister-top-mount, and also removes the possibility of overheating a canister with the windscreen.

While my girlfriend isn't mechanically minded, she's smarter than I am in many areas. Even though she's not a stovie, she's fully capable of operating any of my "more complicated" stoves, she just doesn't want to. Teaching her to watch for flame lift-off and turn down the stove while on propane, or wait awhile to preheat before flipping over a butane canister to liquid feed mode, will be no problem at all.

What say you, stovies?

2. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

Hi Marc
    Have you totally written of CF-stoves?

In regards to camping - will it have to be carried for longer distances in a backpack - or just camping with the car nearby?
    If the latter is the case and CF could be an option, I am thinking on the 502 or 550B as they are both very easy going with a good/502 to high/550B output with nice simmering abilities.

If it must be a gassie - The latest Whisperlite Universal in the Butane/Propane configuration spring to mind - It can always be converted to other fuels if needed?
    Or maybe Optimus Vega, Primus Spider or Soto Muka?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  3. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

my "min-max" choice
    [​IMG]
    realised 98 % of "needs"
    could be better material quality and moore compactible

and after two years - is "better" version

[​IMG]

4. Simes

Simes Subscriber

You've given me an idea there @Marc. I'll have see if SWMBO is happy to operate the BRS 8 in gassie mode.

BRS 8

She's certainly happy with the 2222. :thumbup:

5. Ronzo

Marc;

The first stove which came to mind is my Camping Gaz S206 (pierceable butane cartridge) opposed to my SVEA123...once unpacked and set up, turn the valve ON, light it, and cook away (cartridge replacement is not difficult and could certainly be handled by a "mechanically minded, and smart" girlfriend, after a short instruction session)...it certainly can't get any simpler...I deployed this stove at my parent's, for at least making a nice warm tea, back a few years when Connecticut was hit by a heavy snowstorm in October, which resulted in a 8 day power outage...

For the US, the C206 pierceable cartridge is apparently difficult to source (I don't want to hijack this thread with another question about sourcing these, but those with current info might confirm if this is still the case), so a stove using those particular cartridges is clearly not be a good suggestion now, but I would say something like Geiorgi shows looks like it would fit the bill similarly (obviously, and since I am particularly sensitive to this issue, you'd want to check and assure those gas cartridges are, and will be, readily sourceable).

Cheers from the other coast!

PS. ...on a different note, and I don't mean to start trouble, but I hope that works out...letting your girlfriend go "Camping with her friends when I'm not along"...

6. Frankarooney

Frankarooney Australia Subscriber

How about a Coleman 533? Maybe not the romance of an older stove, definitely compact and easy to use though. No preheating required like a keep stove, no temp restrictions like propane stoves.

7. itchy

@Marc

Sounds like you are strongly leaning towards gas but have you ruled out a Trangia?

8. Brenneman

Brenneman Subscriber

Given your requirements, remote mount stove that runs on multiple fuel but also propane/butane disposable tanks:

MSR Whisperlite Universal
    Kovea Hydra or Booster Dual Max
    Primus Gravity with a Gravity Multifuel kit
    Edelrid Hexon

9. Tron

Tron Subscriber

I understand the question is about gas (prop(f)ane) stoves, but give the single burner Colemans a thought, like the 400B (just one lever to fiddle with)/442 or 550B. They are compact, burn hot and are very easy to handle without need for preheating or assembly. And they are classic campstoves!

Tron

10. G1gop

G1gop United Kingdom Subscriber

M 2Cents worth (not really worth that! lol). Gas cylinders that aren't the quick connect type are getting very hard to find around us. So much so I am trying to find any empties to refill! Worth thinking about getting fuel where ever travels take.

11. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

I am assuming she is not a stovie. I say do something easy and simple.
    Canisters, fuel bottles, priming, adjusting, all are fun to us. But to other people, they just want to heat water or cook.
    Trangia comes to mind. But I have been told by friends they do not like them because they could not see the flame. (There are solutions to that. But they add complications a non-stovie is not interested in.)

A simple light it, adjust it, seems a great solution.

Ken

12. Greeley

Greeley United States Subscriber

Coleman 502. Simple, almost foolproof.

Tom

13. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Thanks folks, great suggestions.

My girlfriend's family used propane while she was growing up. When she brought the matter up, I offered my 502, 400, and 8R, and was promptly shot down. Gassies are what she's comfortable with.

The Trangia is a fantastic suggestion, I'll bring it up to her. She's seen me use mine but hasn't expressed an interest. I'll ask her about it.

Thanks again.

14. IvanN

IvanN United States Subscriber

I got my wife a Trangia 27 based on all the above criteria . Simple to use and reliable. If I were to get her a stove so I could borrow it, a Soto Muka.

15. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Trangia is a no-go, she doesn't like having to drop the snuffer simmer ring on to put it out or change output.

"Why? When you can just turn a knob instead?"

16. Ian

Ian Subscriber

Does she want a boiler, ie hot drinks & bitbags, in which case something likea MSR Reactor or Jetboil. For more cooking versatility a (semi-)permanently gassified Trangia might be worth looking at. There's any number of stove/burners that would lend themselves to such an application covering all options from the gentlest simmer to the inferno.

17. Lennart F Sweden

There should be a "Turm-style" burner for Trangia:-k
    Optimus Trapper has no turn knob.

18. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@Marc
    I appreciate your reservations about butane as a fuel but a Soto ST-310 performs really well in cold temperatures thanks to the micro-regulator built in. The spark ignition has always worked every time, the burner is controllable down to a reliable simmer and it’s a very stable base for pots, small or large.

46900D24-5FBC-4652-BB80-C51C56DFFD06.jpeg

John

19. Lennart F Sweden

While the 1" connection propane canisters are common in North America - they are rare and very expensive in many other parts of the world.

20. pau-i-amor

pau-i-amor Subscriber

Coleman 442 is my choice.

BTW, my wife asked me which stove would she use if there was an electricity cut at my home (in emergency case) and she want to cook... This was my choice:

[​IMG]

An Optimus Hiker (with a few of Meth, fully charged fuel and a handwritten instruction sheed)