Stove reverse psychology?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by hikerduane, Jun 2, 2020.

1. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Been restoring a 111B, bought a steel aftermarket flame spreader and been testing the burner a few times. Thinking over some scenarios, coked up some, RUG used by PO, flame spreader not shaped well? Checked the jet size today with a pricker that fit a new "G" jet and it is smaller. Thoughts on fuel getting heated too much with less flow, causing fuel to frack? Is that the word? Flame is less yellow today, more acceptable, but seems should "rip" more.
    Duane

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@hikerduane
    You’re saying that the flame’s yellow, Duane?

In THIS post on my Manaslu with a steel flame spreader, as opposed to a brass one, I established that was what was responsible for yellow flames.

This ...

46F35574-9C3A-4230-8810-1D4E092F6E0A.jpeg

Flame spreader.

4100E1AA-D20C-4749-93B9-C54FDB62E4B2.jpeg

Oxide cleaned off and flames blued up.

2FC3539E-9B93-41DC-AC87-8FE1D1632436.jpeg

Clearly, cleaning the oxide off the flame spreader before each firing wasn’t desirable, but a brass flame spreader resolved the issue.

John

3. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

@presscall, I recall that thread now. Supplier said they had brass ones in now, but I have no need at the moment for parts. Will check my other "B" to see if that is brass.
    Duane

4. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

So much for theory on too much heat, maybe it's the nature of this beast. Tried a new jet that was larger for the "B" and 22B. Now stove flares up sporadically, maybe some coking of the burner innards since this stove looked like it had been used much more than any other 111B I have or had? When I installed a "M" jet to see if results would be better, flame is big like the B's should be, but the burner can't seem to vaporize the fuel, even with all parts installed on the burner. Testing is with the burner outside the case, but sitting on the heat shield to not scorch my work bench. Back to more testing.
    Oh, almost forgot, there is some fine brass mesh, maybe 1/2" / 10mm long in the fuel "pipe" which looks good, hard to reinstall. I pushed it in further as it was towards the tank end of the line.
    Duane