Stove Sepulchre Herstal 4909

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Willem Jansen, May 25, 2021.

1. Willem Jansen South Africa

Restored this stove with lots of markings:
    SEPULCHRE HERSTAL.
    BELGIQUE S.G.D.G on hanwheel.
    No. 4909.
    NEW ARDENT STOVE D.R.G.M.
    See pics.
    The question is has anyone see or have same stove.
    I think a part is missing, namely a chimney of some sort to fit over the burner.
    Help appreciate.

B1F03086-2B2F-4E49-80F3-6A67A4E3CE3A.jpeg F3EB0F51-DDDB-4FEB-BF8D-9500FBB23454.jpeg 5D65BEBA-80D7-4102-ABAD-BC6D4BD0C95D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2021
  2. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi @Willem Jansen , your stove reminds me of a model made by L&B (Lempereur & Bernard), also a Belgian company.

Your stove was made in Herstal, also well known for the Fabrique National d'Armes de Guerre (in short FN) who is still famous for their weapon production (they also produced bicycles, motorcycles, cars, jet engines etc.). Now, Herstal is next to Liège, known as "la ville ardente", meaning"the passionate city". A Sepulchre is a tomb or vault.(a passionate vault? :shock: ). Strangely, it also carries "S.G.D.G", a French abbreviation meaning "Sans Garantie Du Gouvernement" and "D.R.G.M." which is German; "Deutsches Reich GebrauchsMuster". Strange to find these both on a stove made in Belgium!

Other than that, I have no info regarding the stove itself, sorry. I don't think it needs a chimney, I have once bought a Valor fount&burner (needed it for a Valor heater) that came fitted with a fairly large glass chimney that gets blackened with soot in a split second! :roll:[-(

3. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

Welcome @Willem Jansen
    Thank you for posting. Can you add a pic of just the burner, minus top portion & trivet?
    Myself (and others too, maybe) hold comment as we do not know the size.
    With pic of just burner can you provide height & diameter?

I can only guess it is small and
    if so
    joins a considerable stable of WW1 Officer kit types, many of English and French origin but not limited to.

re your: "I think a part is missing, namely a chimney of some sort to fit over the burner."

A pic of the burner may reveal for readers a top that looks like it will accept another piece, hence your question.
    I have nothing to go by aside from your observation but I would lean towards you're probablt right. Chimney /-slash-/ a windscreen of sort... the pot sits quite high above the burner... no idea why that is either.
    =======================

Wim, Thanks for input. +1 with your: Strangely, it carries S.G.D.G and D.R.G.M.
    meanwhile your "your stove reminds me of a model made by L&B (Lempereur & Bernard)"
    is lost on me and others too probably.
    Adding link to similar L&B stove
    will help but may be easier said than done. If so, no biggy.

datz it from here. thanks again

4. Laitch

Laitch Subscriber

I found reference to a manufacturer Louis Sepulchre of Herstal here in the section Center-draft burners and a fan lamp.

5. Willem Jansen South Africa

Thanks for info and added more pics of burner. Also added my L&B stove that Wim referred to. Mine works perfectly, but does have a chimney of rolled tin with mica windows.
    Still think to should have a chimney similar to L&B stove shown in pic to direct the heat.
    When lit, the L&B flame goes blueish and a faint rumble is heard. The heat is astounding.

Attached Files:

6. Willem Jansen South Africa

To answer OMC, The collar over which I think the chimney fits is 90.8 mm diameter and 24 mm high.

7. Wim

Wim Subscriber

@Willem Jansen , I now see what exactly you mean by 'chimney'. I was thinking a bit to narrow, like a glass chimney (which would most probably not work! I've seen a number of Valor founts with glass chimney, the sellers always claiming they were "stage lights for theaters". Useless!). Maybe you can work out something similar to your L&B stove. A good source for tin plate is empty 3-liter (olive)oil cans.