Stove Tool Question

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Curt A, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Curt A United States

What are the essential tools to work on an Optimus 45 and a Primus 109? Are the tools universal to fit both or are individual tools necessary for each brand? Where can these be obtained from a USA source or are they only available in Europe?

Thanks again to everyone for all of the help...

Curt

2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, @Curt A ,

You're going to need a few specialized tools, some of which will be easy to find, and one which may not be so easy. At the very least, you need a special tool to remove the jet without damaging it. These can be had from various sources on the 'net. And, you will need a special tool to remove the NRV (non-return valve), which is in the pump tube. These may not be easy to find. Oh, there are plenty of them out there, BUT, many are poorly made, or slightly over-sized, which leads to rounding off the NRV head, and then necessitates removal of the pump tube housing!!!

If you find that you like fettling stoves, then there are other specialized tools you will need. As you collect and gather these tools, you will find different makers made slightly different models of each tool, and you will buy those, too, just in case you need them, which you very well might! This applies to jet removal tools, and NRV removal tools, as well as many other things that may eventually need your attention. Most of us have tool boxes crammed with these tools, and we STILL might buy others, if and when we find them. Spend some time in the Fettling Forum, and you will see many of these tools in action. By the way, my most favorite NRV tools are/were made to Stu, from right here at CCS. @loco7stove, used to offer them here, but I'm not sure of his current status in doing that.

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/nrv-tools-stove-legs-burner-repairs.17803/

Also, check The Fettle Box, here at CCS, where you will find many wonderful things to help you in your fettling, i.e. gaskets, pips, etc..

At your service! - The Fettlebox

Take a peek at the following photo, and once you get past laughing at the silly look on my face, whilst trying to fettle my Coleman #1, look carefully at the small tray on the bottom left side of the photo. This shows two different NRV wrenches (the T-shaped, longish items), and also a very special tool to remove the SRV (Safety Release Valve) from the fuel caps used on the SVEA123, 8R, 99, et. al.. Though you can't see them clearly, there is also a pair of grippers that have a long and slender end on them, which I use for reaching down into the pump tubes to remove an NRV that won't quite slip out. There are tons of regular tools being used, too, but for other things. To my left, behind the red case of my #1, you can see a Master set of Gunsmithing screw drivers. I have used that set for almost 40 years, and can't imagine what I did before I got that set.

DSCN2223.jpg

Eventually, if you really get into fettling, you will need a good vise, special hammers, cleaning tools, and lots of other neat stuff. And, if you find that you really just can't do a particular job, here's another way to handle it....... though I don't recommend it!!

DSCN2220.jpg

OK, enough silliness! I hope this helps you a bit, and am certain that others will be along, shortly, to add their own 'tuppence to my comments. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

3. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen United States Subscriber

EBD8E850-1292-4A33-A8D0-4D9372C2EC74.jpeg

Remember: any project requiring the procurement of new tools is a good project!
    - especially if the tool requires a compressor or electricity ;-))

4. Doc Mark

@Curt A ,

Here is a selection of tools that I grabbed out of my stove fettling tool box:

Stove tools.jpg

Top left, Coleman NRV tool. Top right, Stu's superb NRV tools, one for the larger pump, and one for regular pumps. Beneath those three wrenches, are two forceps, one for reaching in a grabbing an NRV, and the other is a locking forceps, which allow you to get a firm grip on very tiny parts. The left portion of the tools (the T-handled tools), exhibits all of the NRV/Jet wrenches that I've used over the years. Right side of this photo, below Stu's wrenches, are a pair of jet tweezers, and three tools for servicing the SRV (Safety Release Valve) in the fuel caps of many small stoves. Bottom right illustrates three articulated jet wrenches. In those little bags, those circular brass thingies are two more jet wrenches for very hard to reach locations. I think that covers them all. Lots of tools, and each has it's own use, for specific jets, or stoves. You can get by with far less than this, but I thought you might like to see what some "Stove Tool Whores", like me, might have in their fettling tool kits!!!

By the way, don't buy cheap tools!! For the most part, you get what you pay for, and cheap tools many times just don't do the job, and sometimes damage other parts in the stove, which leaves you with MORE problems to solve!! Good luck, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

PS - @Harder D. Soerensen , that photo, my friend, is hilarious!!!! Thanks for the laugh!! Good point about the compressor, too.

5. Curt A United States

Doc,
    I appreciate all of the info and pictures... You said... "Don't buy cheap tools!", which has always been my idea regarding all of the tools I have accumulated for various purposes. That being said, this stove fettling thing is new for me, so where can I buy good quality tools? You mentioned Stu's NRV tools... are they still available and where can I buy them? Do Primus and Optimus stoves use the same tools or do you need special ones for each?

My garage is full of tools, since I collect and rebuild antique phonographs. So, just what I need is a new addiction requiring more specialized tools...

Can you point me to a good source for these items? I bought some rebuild items from the Fettlebox and they seem to be very good, but wish there was a source in the US.

I can't seem to access all of the forum areas without a subscription and the subscription requires a PayPal account.. Unfortunately, I don't have a PayPal account anymore.

Thanks again,
    Curt

Edit: I am sure @Spiritburner can sort this out. Trevor

6. Doc Mark

Hi, @Curt A ,

You are most welcome, and glad to hear that you already know about buying quality tools. It would be best of you subscribed to CCS, as you could then make use of places where you can't go, right now. I know you don't do PP, anymore, but you might be able to work out something with Ross, if you give him a shout.

As for finding tools here in the States, A&H used to offer such things, but I am not sure if they do now.

Most of us buy our parts from overseas, as there are far more of the parts we need, over there, than there are here, except for Coleman stuff.

You can also spend some "quality" time on eBay, and see what you can find. Just a quick search turned up this, just now:

PRIMUS STOVE KEYS TOOL NRV VALVE PRIMUS STOVE JET PARTS PRIMUS CUP WASHERS SPARE | eBay

Most Primus, Optimus, Radius, Sievert/SVEA parts interchange, but not all of them, if memory serves. Some stoves have proprietary parts, that other stoves don't. In any case, patience is the key to finding what you need. If you are in a huge hurry, then it's easy to get stuck with something that doesn't work for you, or won't do what you need. Patience, offers you time to learn more, here at CCS, and that, Sir, is a real joy and blessing to all of us! Ask questions, just as you are, yes. But, spend time in the Fettling Forum, and you'll learn more, and more and more! It's great fun, if you love stoves!! Good luck, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

PS - When you bought parts at the Fettle Box, how did you pay for them? You can pay your subscription the same way, I am sure.

7. Twoberth

Twoberth United Kingdom Subscriber

These are not specifically for a Optimus 45 or a P109, but following on from the posts by @Doc Mark here are a couple of pictures of 'stuff' from my fettle box. The first picture is of useful tools easily purchased, and the second of jigs/tools easily made from ideas off this site..

DSC07690.JPG

Half round pliers, jeweler's ring stretcher for 'straightening' and flaring tubes, inner cap and spirit cup holes, unserrated flat pliers, NRV extraction tools, peening hammers for lipsticks, spring loaded NRV grabber.

DSC07691.JPG

From top left; bungs for sealing tanks and burners when citric acid cleaning, jig for truing up flame rings and spirit cups, burner pump connector (for foot pump) for cleaning burners by heat and blow method, leg maker with extension lever tubes, nipple tools (oversize nipple hole tap, normal nipple hole tap, nipple holder, nipple removal 'sockets' and lever, blank nipple, pricker crimp tool, dent pullers.

From top right; piston disassembly tools and pump leather makers, pump tube puller, NRV removal bolts, NVR testers, lead washer pickers.

At the risk of highjacking this thread, I am sure other fettlers have special tools/jigs and it would be nice to see them.

8. gideon SotM Winner

P1150006.JPG my universal instrument for stoves restoration

9. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

10. gideon SotM Winner

@snwcmpr when the power is switched off on my lathe, i can do what i want! 00111.jpg

11. Twoberth

12. snwcmpr

You can always do what you want. :)

13. Mark Layman

True @snwcmpr so true. However it is still as wrong as two fellers in a foot locker.
    The tool in the chuck without a hand on it is just dopey.

14. snwcmpr

There are a lot of ways to do things. Leaving the key in the chuck is not one of them. I did not want someone thinking that it is right.

But, you can what you want.

15. gideon SotM Winner

Yes i can. Because there is only way to understand what exactly you're going to do, to think good before doing.

16. Longilily

I remember well my reprimand for doing just that @snwcmpr in my early years in machining college , in front of all the class too , I learnt quick :lol:

17. snwcmpr

18. Simes

Simes R.I.P.

And old bicycle spoke for checking the NRV before even bothering on removal.

Not quite as much fun as the stuff that needs plugging in, but is very handy.

19. Twoberth

Old bike spokes are great!
    Flattened ends, bent ends, sharpened ends all make good picks. Especially useful for stubborn lead washers.