Stove top ovens - how much heat?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by igh371, Sep 24, 2018.

1. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

DSC07740.JPG

Trevor's comment above, in the 1916 Primus No.2 thread, got me thinking. My oft used but very basic oven (above & below) is only ever set up on an auto-start Patent Pyro, which only has a '00' size burner. Not only that but it never even gets pumped, I find the level of the self-pressurised flame more than adequate to heat and maintain the oven at a perfectly adequate c.200°C. Nothing Gordon Ramsey but absolutely fine to heat a pie or pastie:content:, so why the need for even a No.1 burner never-mind a No.2! :shock:?

DSC07743.JPG

2. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

Nice Pyro Patent stove you've got there. I love the self lighting feature of that stove.

Ben

3. NW Lady

I have one of those dandy little ovens. Love it!

4. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Heating up a pre-cooked pie or pastie doesn’t require more, but a hotter oven’s needed to bake.

5. Marc

Marc Subscriber

200c = 392F, perfectly fine for baking.

6. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

that's a nice compact little oven that looks like it seals up tight.
    my coleman has so many hinges and flaps that I need foil to keep the heat in. PB260003.JPG

7. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

@igh371

My first use of my Coleman oven was on a very cold December night in 2005.
    I set the oven on top of a Primus No.1.
    I intended to make a large Yorkshire Pudding, so the oven needed to be very hot.
    I wanted the oven to be 430ºF.

After 30 minutes heating on the No.1 the temperature rose to about 280ºF and stayed there.
    The Coleman oven has quite a large volume and it has many holes and slots which leak heat all over.

I changed the No.1 to a No. 2-type. The first thing I noticed was that the larger trivet of the stove provided a much better platform for the stove.
    The temperature started rising, but even so the rise was slow.
    I then covered three sides of the stove in aluminium foil and then also put a tea towel on top.

So adorned, the stove rose to the correct temperature.

NE-Meet 003b.jpg

Since then I have used a No.2 stove for the Coleman oven.
    I have a construction now which fits the No.2 perfectly and also on which the oven can sit securely.
    If it is warmer weather I just turn down the flame (did I mention that the No.2 is one of my favourite stoves?).

Primus_2.JPG

8. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

@shagratork That is a nice photo. Like a proud Papa. :)

9. NW Lady

Something I have found that really helps with heat retention with the coleman oven is use of a carbon felt blanket. I got it from cyberweld. It is also called "welder's blanket". you want the "thermofelt" not the fiberglass. (saw a fellow on youtube using it).

http://store.cyberweld.com/panfelwelbla.html

got a 3x3 sheet and cut it as pic below show. Front of the oven not covered. If you want you can "seal" the open corners with a cover of tin foil over this if it is really cold our windy. can use left over piece for insulation where needed. Have see it use as windshield for sm backpack stoves. Make a sm circle and close the circle with a clip. It is stiff enough to keep the circle shape around a sm stove.
    [​IMG]

10. NW Lady

So... you have some bricks stacked up and then you put the oven on the bricks? Is it resting on the bricks and the legs of the stove?

I have a svea 105, do you think it would be powerful enough for a setup like yours?

11. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

I had mine resting on bricks with bricks around it and lots of foil.
    it was a cold thanksgiving day.
    PB260008.jpg

12. Garth

My wonder oven works well on a #5 primus or op 22 though harder to regulate on the Primus these2 and my 111 have no trouble heating the oven over 600 degrees f so most times i run a very low flame when using the oven

13. z1ulike

06 - Stove Warm-up.JPG

It took less than 5 min. to get my Primus 1117 oven up to 425F (218C) using a Primus 14 which has a standard sized silent burner.

Ben

14. NW Lady

All right! will have to give my svea 105 a try.

@DAVE GIBSON ... your stove looks well snuggled in! LOL
    @z1ulike ... LOVE your oven! have never seen one like that. I have collected about 5 ovens...but even seen one with legs! Ahhh... I feel a new hunt for hens teeth coming on!

15. z1ulike

@NW Lady That oven's been in the Stove Reference Gallery for quite some time. I used it to make some scones which you can view here.

Ben

16. NW Lady

as soon as I posted, I searched.... and saw the great pics you have put on this site. Did a google image search and there you were again! ...but not many more, unfortunately. Did a search on ebayUK and nothing. yes.... hens teeth. LOL But I do love these old ovens and will keep looking for one like yours. If you ever want to part with yours...... Love to take my ovens on family camping trips.... muffins...pizza...or just keeping food warm!

I love that yours is so deep. I only have one oven that is bigger than about 12" x12".

Maybe should start a thread...."show your ovens".... LOL.

17. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

Wow, I had no idea that the Coleman folding ovens, and also presumably the similar Primus & Optimus Packaway type, leaked out heat at such an astonishing rate, no wonder some need massively powerful stoves to maintain cooking temperatures :shock::shock::shock: ! And why they need a temperature gauge to keep track of their foibles! To think how often I'd pondered about 'upgrading' to an oven of that pattern:doh: Conveniently fold up to pack, but then you need 1/2 ton of fire bricks and a couple of rolls of insulating materials to go with it:doh::doh::doh: Good job you really like No.2 stoves anyway Trevor, or had you already said that?

But yours Ben, now that really would be an upgrade. Respect. :mrgreen:

Ian:thumbup:

@shagratork @DAVE GIBSON @NW Lady @z1ulike

18. Wim

Wim Subscriber

@NW Lady , be careful with that thread! There are so many lovely "portable" ovens, it would be a never ending story... :D/ :lol: :D/ :lol:

I myself have 2 military ovens that fit the big N°3 twin burner British mil. stoves, a foldable Coleman oven, Wonder top oven, HESTIA N°4 and now the Rippingilles. Only the Coleman and Hestia have seen use so far. I also had a huge French Army contraption, portable for sure, by 4 (FOUR!) strong young men, single petrol burner sounding like an F-16 taking of :roll: :whistle: and a nice, fairly big oven. The Hestia and wonder top oven will be used next weekend, I'll post some photos!

All the best,

Wim