Stoves aren't just for cooking anymore!

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by jrs08, Feb 20, 2015.

1. jrs08

jrs08 Subscriber

Well we've had a week of sub-zero temps here in Iowa and my 91 yr. old mother had a cold water pipe in her crawl space freeze. Ran a fan at the pipe all day long but just could not get enough heat in there to thaw out the pipe. When I stopped in after work I brought my XGK with me. Thirty minutes later under a watchful eye the XGK had warmed things up enough to get water running again. What would we do without stoves? Jim

2. Greeley

Greeley United States Subscriber

Keep a VERY CLOSE EYE when using any kind of heat to thaw frozen pipes. My wife's childhood home in Iowa burned to the ground after it was sold to another party after parents died.

They tried to thaw frozen pipes - don't know if they used open flame or heat gun, but 100yr+ house is gone.

Better off with just a hair dryer, but even then be very careful!!!

3. itchy

"watchful eye" vs "VERY CLOSE EYE",

I see.

4. Chef BC

Good on you Jim! Taking care of your mum in such an indenious kindhearted way. :thumbup: :clap:

Once I found myself using an old 123r to melt wax for a set of skis. :oops:

5. magikbus

Up here in the "great white North" we use commonly available (I know, it's sad) electric pipe heaters. they are like a heavy duty heat tape, with a small thermostat on one end. You tape the end with the thermostat onto the pipe and wrap the heat tape around the pipe in a spiral form. They come in many lengths, each one has a different current draw. They automatically come on when the temp drops to within a couple of degrees above freezing.
    Stan

6. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

We plug one of those heating tapes in every winter for a pipe under our cabin.
    Ken in NC

7. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

"Once I found myself using an old 123r to melt wax for a set of skis. "

There used to be a mod for a primus 71 designed to do just this