Stoves In Use-The Cooking Thread

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Cookie, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Daryl United States

Thanks, Got it new 5/85 it has seen its use and was my only small stove for many years. Having peak 1 stuff sack and storage/cook container has keep it protected. yep cooking oil and I prime burner with DA before lighting. Daryl

2. Daryl United States

Here's the rest of the family. There in the back ground behind barrel cactus. Grandson did the handy work on the tin lids with RWS pellet pistol. My brother made the targets and we used to shot/hunt a lot with hand guns. He had two TC's and two XP-100's so I have done my share of long range shooting. Daryl
    100_4889.JPG

3. esphojo

esphojo Subscriber

I gave my friend my 111-user a few weeks ago. The only thing he lacked in his "emergencykit" was a reliable stove and I could help him out (not that I think that it would come to use for now). Anyways; I had to "make myself a new one". Took the kids out for some soup for the premiere. Stove preformed well 20200321_140526.jpg 20200323_185537.jpg 20200323_190843.jpg 20200323_185541.jpg

4. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Quality pix.

5. Cookie

Cookie United States Subscriber

Fried some bacon on the Optimus 45 today to go with the biscuits and pepper gravy :content:

20200413_172530.jpg

6. Ed Winskill

@Cookie

Where do you get that great back bacon here in the States?

Your post with that shiny 45 sent me down memory lane. Here's bacon frying in the Winter big tent in 2008 on a Svea 106; essentially the same stove as the Optimus 45:

[​IMG]

The young granddaughter in the photo has now been a married woman and a school teacher for about 3 years.

Note the pic shows a cast iron skillet also. I agree with you-- the only way to go!

7. Cookie

@Ed Winskill I buy 10lbs of pork belly bacon (see pic) for $16 at our local Grocery Outlet store. For "english style" top of the back bacon I take a pork tenderloin and make my own. I'll hang about 30lbs of it in my closet in canvas sacks during the winter after curing, smoking, and peppering it. After about three months it's ready when it gets the slight white mildew/mold on it. Rinse it off with vinegar, slice, and enjoy. The only thing that I have found in the store that is similar to what you want is canadian bacon that is available almost everywhere. Not really a substitute for the real deal though. You may be able to get the local butcher to make some for you. Our butcher makes his own bacon to sell locally.

Since my wife won't let me eat salt pork anymore due to my heart issues I cook the bacon outside and once I'm finished I sneak in a few pieces of salt pork that never make their way inside :-$. Also, I can neither confirm nor deny that I "may" have "accidentally" told her I packaged it in one pound bags when they are actually 1.25lbs in a bag. She's lucky if a pound of bacon makes it inside. I also like to sneak some hot water cornbread mixed up in a small batch so as to fry it in the grease at times. It depends on if she's home when it's cooked lol. If she is definitely not going to be home then I take some shrimp , wrap it in bacon straight out of the grease, skewer it with a toothpick to hold it together, pepper it with freshly cracked peppercorns, and toss it in the pan for three minutes. Out it comes and then dipped into my favorite beer and bbq sauce mix. There's just something satisfying about hearing the stove going with the sizzling sound of bacon and the smell of the bacon mixed with kerosene.

My pork loin bacon

0629150648.jpg

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  8. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

Nice day for some fine beef link sausages on the little 1924 P96 Frankie
    @igh371

oDSC_8162 - 14_04_20.jpg

oDSC_8163 - 14_04_20.jpg

oDSC_8166 - 14_04_20.jpg

Alec

9. Haggis

Haggis Subscriber

Just under that freshly caught BWCA fish, is a Coleman 533, the least collectible, most unromantic and lackluster of the Coleman single burners, and perhaps the most versatile and dependable.

C81E005F-E94E-441E-AF34-69E91150E954.jpeg

10. Ed Winskill

But how's the taste?8]

11. Cookie

@Ed Winskill I grew up in a mechanics home (originally farming and shine making). I'm used to eating a sandwich with diesel and axle grease on my hands. I don't mind licking the bacon grease off my fingers if kero is on it to be honest but I try to not actually mix the two. The taste is great :content: Heck, come to think of it I can't remember how many times I've eaten a soggy sandwich or chips with fish slime on my hands while fishing. I wipe my hands off an a rag dipped in the muddy water and go to eating lol.

12. Daryl United States

Pre dawn Peak 1 cook out. Got up early and cooked some leftover Easter ham with eggs. I got this Smithfield ham (processed in Mo. not SD) from Grocery Outlet and I did notice the FZ smoked Pork Belly, it was a more healthy size maybe 2 pounds. I know better than to return home with 11 pounds of ham and a couple pounds of pork belly at the same time. Froze most of the ham for later so I do see that little slab about the size of your hand making its way to my house soon! stay home, stay safe, wear mask. Daryl sunny again SoCal
    100_4973.JPG 100_4972.JPG

13. Blueflame111

Blueflame111 United States Subscriber

IMG-20200326-WA0005.jpg I took the kids to a local park and they requested macaroni and cheese and sliced up maple sausage. Brought out my Optimus 22 which performed admirably as usual. One of my favorite stoves and probably my most frequently used

14. Cookie

@Blueflame111 Very nice. You make me want an Optimus 22 even more now :D

@Rangie I like that kettle

@Daryl Nice early morning set up

15. Cookie

Picked up this 428 a few days ago. Time to test her out

20200419_175219.jpg 20200419_190538.jpg

16. Blueflame111

Nice stove. I have the 426 and really like it

17. Cookie

@Blueflame111 Thanks. I got all of the old fuel and rust out of the tank and she fired right up with fresh fuel. It's dated 3/03 and not bad for $35. It's my first Coleman suitcase stove. I need to clean her up.

18. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Wow, first Coleman suitcase! Way to jump in with both feet!

19. Blueflame111

@Marc Now that you mention it, strangely enough, I believe the 426 was my first Coleman suitcase stove. So I was in the same boat as @Cookie starting things off with the triple burner

20. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Also jumping in with two feet!