Stump the Stovie

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by hikin_jim, Mar 12, 2017.

1. hikin_jim

OK, let's play a fun little game. I call it "Stump the Stovie." Hopefully the meaning of "stump" translates well around the world. I'm not here speaking of the remnant of a tree but rather the condition one finds oneself in when one has no earthly idea what the answer is to a particular question.

So here's one, below. This is the warning on the side of a pot. It has three pictograms. The one on the upper left seems fairly straightforward: Don't operate the stove in a vehicle, tent, or building. Pretty standard stuff. But what of the other two images. One apparently telling me "do this" and the other "don't do this" But what? What on earth are these supposed to illustrate? I'm stumped.
    IMG_7150[1].JPG

Now, here's number two, below. I bought a stove and pot set. In it came this bit of fairly dense foam. What is its purpose? And what is the purpose of the four holes in the foam. I see no mention of it in the directions. I suppose one could use it as a pot holder, but the pot has nice butterfly handles with some kind of rubbery coating. There's no need to grasp the pot by the pot walls. It's only a 1 liter pot, so it's not like one needs to grasp it from both sides. And even if it were meant to be used as a pot holder, what of the four holes, and why are then not centered? I'm stumped. IMG_7151[1].JPG

I hope some of my fellow stovies will be a bit smarter than I. Do share your wisdom!

HJ

2. Robtz

Robtz Subscriber

It would appear, based on the limited visual evidence, that the 'don't do' pictogram is indicating (for reasons I cannot fathom) not to use a burner that spreads the flames mainly toward the outside of the pot and possibly predominantly up the sides, rather, to follow the 'do do' (doh!) pictogram, which indicates a rather confined flame orientated to the centre of the pot, and therefore spreading heat outward and covering the entire bottom.
    But, that's my interpretation and could be way off the beaten track.
    With respect to the foam with holes, I am completely at a loss.
    Regards,
    Rob

3. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

Rob,
    4 holes: It's such a simple idea, it's strange they didn't come up with it sooner, it makes it so much better.

By just adding two holes they give us four options, you can use the 2 on top, or the 2 on bottom, the 2 on the right or the 2 on the left. Of course after you select your option you then just use the 2 holes as you normally would. thx omc

4. hikin_jim

Lol, omc. Now, why didn't I think of that?

HJ

5. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Top right: don't put square things on this stove. Bottom: If you really MUST put a square thing on the stove, secure it with small chains!

w!m, grabbing coat & hat while making it for the door.............

6. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

the rounded corners are a give away - it be a pot scrubber! and the four holes are where to grip it to reduce wear on the non-stick, i assume it is non-stick also it will stop pans rattling when packed away but i suggest you dry it first

as for the diagrams first one means do not fly drones dangling arrows in moving vehicles or confined spaces

i may be wrong, i have been wrong before

7. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

4 holer aside.
    The do's and don'ts
    > Don't have burner close to bottom of pot that it interferes with flame (it shows partial flame?).
    > Do have burner away from bottom of pot as to not interfere w/flame (it shows full flame).
    thx omc

8. Caveman

Does your new pot have a heat exchanger on the bottom? Smaller flame spread to allow the hot stuff to pass through the channels....more efficient from a fuel used to hot food ratio?
    Foam pad? Some bored factory slave threw it in to yank on your chain](*,)
    Cheers
    B

9. anlrolfe

Hanging pot set?
    My speculation is that chains/cable are run through the holes. For storage wrapped around and placed inside pot. In use slid all the way up or down to lock the cables/chain around pot. Holes being offset causes the block to cant to one side and prevents the block from sliding back down?
    How did I do? Will a prize??

10. tofta

tofta Subscriber

Yes, one can often wonder, writing in a common language (except Chinese) can work too.

I think it is already being explained – how to get most efficiency from the heat exchange ring. One should use this pot on a burner head focusing heat inside the heat exchange ring and not on or outside.

For the foam my money is on it being a part of the wrapping, just happening to have those holes there. It looks too rigid for cleaning, might be good for organizing fishing tackle.

A very good Sunday, and all the best, e

11. IvanN

IvanN United States Subscriber

I thought Stump the Stovie was the guy's name

12. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Mugs Stump.

I think there's not enough information. Like seeing a tire and trying to know what transmission in in the car.

13. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

Anybody missing Car Talk (stump the chump)?

14. itchy

:lol:

He should be a honorary member --

15. Etherman

Etherman Subscriber

Looks like the pictographs could be suggesting a specific stove and pot combination to avoid flame from an alternate stove directing at a heat exchanger bottom versus through.

The foam thingy, does it fit the bottom of a ISO/PRO canister to prevent scratching a non stick coating?
    IMG_1510.JPG

16. snwcmpr

Ah, The upper right of the 3... No Underburn. The flame must come up into the middle of the pot.

17. flivver

flivver United States Subscriber

It is all quite simple, The drawing on the left states no graffiti on trucks houses or tepee. The one on the right states do not put a tv set on a stove unless it is lit. The foam is a insulator vent for steam. Mike...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  18. snwcmpr

Now that makes sense.

@hikin_jim
    Are you going to show the chinese pots?

19. hikin_jim

Caveman has about the best guess yet, I think.

Yes, this stove and pot set, a Primus Eta Express with one liter pot, does have a heat exchanger (HX). I think the diagram is saying that one should set the HX atop the pot supports and that one should not try to insert the pot supports into the "fins" of the HX. That seems to be the most reasonable explanation although what exactly the remainder of the diagram is showing (in the flame area) is beyond me.

upload_2017-3-13_9-33-49.png

That which looks something akin to a chain in the lowest of the three pictographs is I believe the pot support. Contrast the lower pictograph with the one at the upper right. Note the area I've highlighted with the red rectangle. One diagram shows the HX atop the supports, the other shows the supports betwixt the fins of the HX.

Of course this begs the question of what they're trying to show with the rest of the diagram. I think they're trying to show you a nice flame in the lower diagram whereas they're trying to show you a flame that is sort of forced up along the pot supports in the diagram at right. Maybe.

I suppose my main point here is that these pictographs don't contribute much to the safe operation of the stove. They're just not abundantly clear. Why does the diagram at upper left have a drone like object with an arrow suspended from it? Perhaps this is to illustrate the heavier than air properties of carbon monoxide? Or is this diagram merely suggesting that your work area should be well lighted when using a stove indoors? Either could be a reasonable interpretation. I'm pretty sure that the intended meaning is "don't use indoors," but the pictographs are far from clear. I almost think that a simple text to the effect "refer to the instructions for important safety warnings" might be better.

As for the foam bit with the four cut out circles, I still haven't a clue. I think maybe it's packing material, but why the four holes, and why the particular placement of the four holes?

How many stovies does it take to understand one stove? ;) :lol:

HJ

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  20. Ramseybella

Looking at the bottom left of your photo it looks like a heat exchange ring is attached to the bottom of this anodized pot..
    The left is do not use in confined spaces, the top right inside the heat exchange ring you wont get a good flame or no flame. And the bottom shows it will give a more efficient flame correctly seated on the stoves pot legs and edge of exchanger.
    It's not a Jetboil pot?
    In short if you have to think about this don't use it..:lol:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017