1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stu's NRV removal tools

Discussion in 'Stove Paraffinalia' started by mr optimus, May 6, 2011.

1. mr optimus

mr optimus United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi there stovies got home from work this afternoon and there was a card from the post office so of to the sorting office to collect three packages and one of the items was these NRV removal tools from Stu

1304709217-P1010088.gif

These NRV removal keys are superb well done there stu the quality and engineering of these is tools is remarkable, i have every confidence i will be able to remove every NRV i tackle no matter how difficult they are to remove and with out damaging the NRV .which is in my mind paramount as no NRV will be wasted except if it has been damaged before hand so every NRV will just need a new pip and washer so there is no waste of any original part.
    Even though i have made one my self a year or two ago and it does work better than a original key but it is no where as good as Stu's and when i read all about them i just had to have a couple well done there Stu

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. RonPH

Lovely :thumbup: So whats in the other two packages....more stove :lol:

Ron

3. mr optimus

Hi Ron the other two pacages is a tesco coil burner and a military paraffin stove the type that come in a cylidar box and has feet that fold under the tank and a folding pan suports that one needs a real good fettle as when i unfolded one of the legs it broke off leaving a small hole in the bottom of the tank

4. RonPH

Brian, my guess was correct. Happy fettling the hole and foot.

Ron

5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Evening, Brian,

Well done on scoring your own tools from Stu!! I love mine, and they continue to amaze me with their successes, where all other such tools have failed!! Today's success was my Radius #43, which I've had for several years, but which has had, until today, an old NRV that simply REFUSED to be removed, no matter how strenuous my efforts!! :shock: :shock: :thumbdown: :-({|= :-({|= I tried every NRV tool I had (and there are many different ones, too!), and even tried boiling water in the tank, and other things, all to no avail. Then, this morning, I decided to try once again, this time using Stu's wonderful tool! I also out the T-handle of the tool in a vise, and then, applying downward pressure, and a bit of rotation, VOILA, that old NRV finally gave up the ghost!! AND, it was not damaged, which is truly a miracle!!! So, another "thanks, Mate", to Stu, and to you, Brian, I can guarantee that you're going to love your new NRV tools, as do I!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :D :D

By the way, congrats on getting the other two goodies, too. Looks like you had a very good day, indeed, and those are always a nice thing, my Friend! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

6. mr optimus

Many thanks Ron the hole will be a little chalange but i am conifedent of repairing it.
    Many thanks Doc i have had a few NRV's that i had to remove like with the tool i made by placing the tool in a vice and turning the stove tank with down wood pressure .
    As mentioned on here a lot of NRV's were replaced years ago with out the lead washer and to make a seal they realy had to tighten them up almost to the point of damaging the thread or the top of the NRV where the tool is placaed but with Stu's tool providing the NRV has not been damaged we will be able to remove the NRV with out damaging it so they can be repaired and put back in again.
    To me it seems such a waste when the only way to remove the NRV by damaging it beyond repair but with Stu's tools that is going to become very rare

7. justin sanford

justin sanford United Kingdom Subscriber

does anyone know if these are still available? or if someone would loan one with a deposit.

8. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

A piece of round bar or a bolt with a slot cut in the end performs equally as well.

Alec.

9. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber

10. Big Si

Big Si Subscriber

Hi @justin sanford , making the tool is the easy part really. I've made a few and broke a few. The most inportant thing is that the tool is just smaller than the bore of the pump tube. If the took Dis is too small then the tool moves when pressure is applied and the end will slip off of the NRV.

Si

11. justin sanford

that was wahat worried me,my mate eric had that happen and ended up having to unsolder and bugger about loads!

12. justin sanford

how big does the slot need to be?

13. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber