Surplus Swedish army Stove/Cookset (alcohol)

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Joe, May 17, 2007.

1. ArchMc

ArchMc SotM Winner Subscriber

:D :D :D
    ....Arch

2. Kenh157

Stejar

Thank you for the valuable information you have provided in regard to the
    Swedish Mess Kit.

Your documentation and translation provided the group with information not
    readily available.

You have performed a valuable service to this group.

Thank you,

Ken H.

3. nzmike

Lee Enfield, Mick? Are you one of the happy few to have laid hands on a #4 Mk1 (T) ??? If so, my jealousy knows no bounds. :oops: If I ever get around to a deer rifle,a 6.5 X 55 Swede will be the 1st place I look.

4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Hey, Mike,

I recommend the 6.5x55 Swede very highly, and think you would be extremely satisfied with it's performance! It's easy on the shoulder, supremely accurate, especially with hand-loads, beats out almost every single .30 caliber cartridge for deep penetration (with 160 grain bullets), has one of the very best ballistic coefficients, is made like a fine Swiss watch, and can be had on the surplus market for a very reasonable price!! What's not to like??!!??!! =D> \:D/ :D

After I bought my first one, a well used M96, made in 1914, I took it out to the desert to see what it could do. Which some Norma 139 grain factory loads, from a sitting position, I was easily able to hit a 55 gallon oil drum from a paced-off 600 yards away, every single time I pulled the trigger!!!! I fell deeply in love with that old rifle, at that very moment!!! ;) 8) :D My little brother, who had gone shooting with me, was unimpressed when he first laid eyes on my old Swede, and had said, "What in hell do you want that old thing for? It's way too long, ugly as hell, and so old, it will probably blow up in your face"!! After my first shots, and every other shot, hit that old empty oil drum, without a single miss, he was gobsmacked, and asked if he could try it!! Of course, being a very nice older brother, I let him shoot 10 rounds, or so. When finished, he reluctantly gave my old Swede back to me, a new respect in his eyes, and asked, "Now, where did you get this thing, and how much did it cost you"? I told him I had bought it at the drugstore (this was back when such places actually had sporting good for sale, and sometimes, guns, too), and that it had cost me all of $79!! As soon as we finished shooting, and got back to San Diego, he hauled arse over to the drugstore to buy one for himself..... but they had sold them all by that time!!! :cry: :cry: :roll: :roll: He's never been "right" since that sad day when he missed out on getting his own M96 Swedish Mauser!!!

I now own three of them, two M96's, and one M94, and all are superbly constructed, and amazingly accurate arms. A true joy to own and shoot. Get one, and you will never need another rifle!! ;) 8) :D Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc Mark

5. rik_uk3

Although I don't take the army Trangia to camps now, I still mess around with them in the garden etc. I use a nice flat stone or some triple folded foil as a simmer ring, what do you guys use? (or do you just leave the stove as a boiler unit)

Also, can a moderator or Ross please move the gun posts to a separate thread please, so we can stay on track and topic, many thanks.

6. Strangely Brown

Strangely Brown Subscriber

I must confess to using the two I have as boilers only although I did try and do some Bombay Potatoes on one which was a great success. I think it's the price that they are currently on the surplus market which intrigued me.....priced to sell!
    Having bought a couple and enlarged my knowledge through the blokes on this site I realise that whilst they were wonderfull value I now have far better stoves to play with then wait for ever for a cuppa.
    I suspect that the UK price reflects the fact that yoof (sorry I meant to say youth) :D organisations do not recomend stoves with liquid fuel (don't shoot me I am just the messanger!) because they see them as dangerous in this current sue for anything climate we have in the UK.
    I would have thought the SAT was ideal for army cadets but they make them use Hexi blocks instead.

7. rik_uk3

Mick, I got some in stainless steel from the states, but they were very expensive, all of $5 a set a few years ago :shock:

I know what you mean about youth organisations and liquid fuel stoves, my bulk buy of 111's last week came from a scout master. They are replacing the 111's with Primus Omnifuels, that way, the younger lads can use gas, while the older lads can burn kerosene.

8. Christer Carlsson

Christer Carlsson Moderator SotM Winner

Stefan! I did a check with my old soldier instructions, and the SoldR Mtrl doesn?t say so much meaningful actually. Mainly obvious things like not smoke during filling, be careful in confined spaces because of the danger with carbon monoxide etc.
    A little about how to put the windshield up and increase draught if nescessary by putting two sticks under the windshield and stuff like that. And that you should preheat the burner in cold weather by keeping it in your pocket. You can also put an additional amount of meths in the circular ditch just around the burner to get it burning better in extreme cold.
    ...And to not put your face straight above the burner when refilling it. :lol:

I guess that there are a newer version out since I did my (hopefully) last service in -95
    I took a couple of pics from that book, which was old even then. (My scanner is dead.):
    snuskburk1.jpg
    snuskburk2.jpg
    I would like to add that as we already are clear with every soldier carried this device along, but it was seldom used for cooking! It was mainly used to eat the food from the field kitchen.
    Yellow pea soup in the big can and pancakes in the small. 8)
    As I recall it, we were not supposed to carry the mess tin set outside the pack as in the older days. We should keep it inside the backpack.

/Christer

9. spudz

Is that an Optimus Tor 91 and if so, does this mean that it too was used by the Swedish Army ?
    I love that stove ... light, reliable and actually quite quick to boil water for a brew.
    I bought 2 Trangia burners from Sweden last year and they both came with simmer rings. So the Opti 91 burner has been replaced with a Trangia and the 2nd Trangia burner resides in my Trangia 27 windshield, awaiting a pair of the new hard anodised Alu. pots from Trangia, when I'm allowed spend money again on stove fun things. :cry: :cry:
    The simmer rings work fine, if a bit fiddly, even the flip-up one, :shock: honestly !! :p

10. Christer Carlsson

Yes this type were also used in the army, preferably for the rangers as Stefan mentioned above.
    But also scouts used this stove. (is scout the correct term? I mean those guys that operate freely in very small groups near and behind the enemy line to observe and report back what?s going on...)

Still available for 350 kronor. ($50)

/Christer

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  11. barrabruce

Yep I find the army ones a bit of a pain trying to lift off the windscreen and put a simmer ring plate on them.
    Have one of each a alu and a S/S one which is about 4x the weight and indistuctable.
    Bit slower 10 -12minute boil Like it cos they have a cup and you can put the coffe teas sugar in as well.as some other suff into the set for a complete package.
    If I could solve the putting out bit with out tossing the cap on and hope it falls right I would use them more.

91 one of my favorites.Too.
    Got a 81 91 and I think a 77a plus extra pots and lid. Yoohoo I'm set for a bit.

Spuds did you make a plate to boil your coffee mokka in the 91??

Still have yet to try the base upside down for a frypan cooking.
    Will see.

Thanks for the info just what I needed to know about them.

Cheers
    Barrra

12. rik_uk3

The Tor is a nice little stove, compact, burns well. I've just swapped a spare I had for a leather sheaf to fit a new Fallniven F1 knife I have coming my way :D

13. rik_uk3

I've been told this phrase is used for the Army Trangia

"snuskburken" can someone translate please (does it mean "dirty jar"?)

14. Christer Carlsson

Snuskburken is the actually nick name for the swedish stove/cookset M/40. The one the question here are about!
    How did you find out this nick? I was close to bring it up earlier, but since it hard to translate in the right manor I skipped it.
    But as you say a direct translation would be "dirty jar" or perhaps "filthy jar" :lol:

It descends from the fact that we were not always so good in cleaning the utensils as we should (...and were ordered to. You all know how picky they are with hygiene in the military ...).
    The stuff that could grow in the deep, deep bottom pan after a badly performed dish, and some days in the backpack among old socks can be a reason for the name... :roll:

/CC

15. rik_uk3

(Rik please lol)

A man from Scotland told me ;)

16. spudz

Bruce, got me one of these

DSCN1878.jpg

I have spare somewhere, I'll post it with the coffee ... eventually.
    Heads up me **** at the mo.

17. stejar

stejar Subscriber

Christer, I checked the latest edition if SoldR Mtrl (2003) and the description is even shorter now days when it comes to the ?Snuskburk?. Mainly states the obvious as you say.

Spuds, I really like that new part for the 91. Why haven?t I thought about something like that myself? Hmm, off to the garage?
    The Optimus 91 and 85 are trusted companions to me. Especially the 85 Loke. That kero stove is a real life saver when you are north of the Pole Circle during wintertime. The armed forces stoves have the ?three crown? stamp on the pots and the frying pan, otherwise they are just like the commercial ones.

Stefan

18. Christer Carlsson

Rik, I meant nick as shortly for nick name. Sorry for the confusion. :oops:

Well, from a scot... Who would have thought it. :lol:

/Christer

19. Christer Carlsson

Thanks Stefan.
    I assumed, and hoped, that there would be atleast one more edition after my old -85. :lol:

/Christer

20. 111T

111T Subscriber

hey somewhere here i saw a primus 96 with modified legs to fit the mil surplus windscreen. does anyone know exactly how tall the supports should be for that configuration?