Svea 1 abuse

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by taku, Oct 12, 2010.

1. taku

Here is a picture of a stove I attempted to restore recently. It is a Svea 1 - and the graphics on the tank are gorgeous. It had seen rough use through the years, with dents to the fount including a severe gash to the side, and resoldering around the fuel filler and even the burner head (!?). Generally, it looked as though it had been dragged behind a bus. When I received it someone had already tried to improve its' appearance by painting the legs and top trivet black - not authentic, but I must admit attractive. The real sin was that they had taken sandpaper to the tank - it was covered with deep scratches - no way to treat an old stove! Anyway, after much buffing I was able to get the stove to its' current condition...

1286916254-SVEA_1.jpg

I was able to fire it up, but it kept losing pressure which led me to replace the gasket on the burner head (someone had installed a leather gasket) - that helped but it still lost pressure. It was then I discovered that it was incontinent! Felt moisture on the side of the fount, and sure enough, there was a hairline crack (not the one you can see but one radiating out from it).

1286916607-SVEA_2.jpg

So I guess this one will just have to sit on the shelf - a shame really - and I will have to look for another one.

But while I am rambling, I need to ask: Where do all the burner rings go? And, where does one find replacement parts for them? I now have several stoves (Including a Primus No. 2 which has a burner head on it large enough to heat a house!) with no burner rings. An email to Optimus USA yielded a loud silence. My guess is that the parts are not here in the US.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  3. -/-

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  4. taku

Thanks to both of you. A message has been sent. I gather that the burner units for smaller kerosene stoves of all brands come in just a couple of basic sizes, therefore parts are interchangeable... should have figured that out on my own!

5. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

If you've a strong enough stomach, Fuelish, you might take a look at this post where I had a similar problem with hairline cracks in the tank of a Chinese stove.

Solar stove repair

I appreciate that having an obvious patch on the Svea tank may not be to your taste, but it depends if you're keen to see the stove running again. Adds to the patina is my view.

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  6. taku

"Strong heart indeed!" What a great job of rescuing the stove! Not sure that my ultra-amateur skills would suffice (note I have to ask help just to find parts), but in case I do, where does one find a strip of brass (see!) to solder onto the fount? Also, rosin core solder?