Svea 1 and no16

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Colonel_kernel, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Colonel_kernel

Hello! I'm a new one to this site and these European stoves. I was wonder if someone could help?
    I recently acquired a svea 1 and svea 16 that need work (understatement). They're in sound shape, but looks like they were garage kept and some burner parts are missing. I've read a little on these stoves and started searching for what I'm needing, but was hoping someone could save me some time and point me where I need to go! The svea one appears to just be missing a burner ring, but the 16 looks like the whole thing might need replacing???

What size ring can work on the #1? And does it look like I need to replace the entire burner on the 16? Does it use the same burner as the 1?

1433389384-image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. 1966dave

Welcome..

As to the burner bits...yes you need a flame ring for one...and an inner and outer burner cap for the other. Upper left on this page..."The Fettle Box"...can sort you out cause you will also want a few gaskets and seals. A quick search on nrv pips / fettling / washer etc should get you sorted.

3. tofta

tofta Subscriber

Congratulations on two beautiful stoves, the beauty might be a bit hidden at the moment though …
    For cleaning, do a site search for citric acid and GSR (Georges Stove Restorer), please be careful with mechanical cleaning on the fabulous SVEA tank graphics, burner part can take a bit more scrubbing but watch as you go.
    For all fettling there are tutorials on top in the Fettling forum. For information on those models, look into the reference gallery and reference library.
    There are info and tips everywhere on this site, I always learn new stuff when I look around, but be careful - it is addictive.
    All the best, e

4. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Welcome to CCS.
    I would suggest checking the integrity of the stove before doing any major cleaning.
    Soap and water and a gentle brushing will remove dirt and not remove any beautiful patina of the brass.
    Th Fettlebox can supply the kit to reseal the stove.
    Someone may have a flame ring for you.
    The other needs an inner and outer cap, someone may have those for you too.
    After getting the pump and seals working you can do a dunk test before actually lighting the stove.

Best to you and welcome again.

Ken in NC

5. Ray123

Ray123 Subscriber

The 16 and 1 originally had the same burner. Looks like someone in the past put a silent burner on the 16. As Dave says it's missing the caps but all the seals and burner parts are easily available. The stoves appear in good shape and it's nice to have both burner styles.

There's a South Korean eBay seller that actually makes cap sets and flame rings.
    Base Camp has them also.

Ray

6. Colonel_kernel

Thanks for all the replies.
    The one I see on the bay says it's a 201 burner. Is this the size I need?
    I checked the host site and their roarer burners are out of stock.

7. Ray123

Ray123 Subscriber

Actually 201 is an Optimus burner. It'll fit your Svea but you're mixing brands.

You don't actually need a new burner just a flame ring for the 1 and a cap set for the 16. Silent burners are really nice. Give it a try before you decide to replace it.

As luck would have it I already looked up part numbers for a Base Camp order.
    Base Camp uses mostly Optimus numbers:
    2151 flame ring for #1
    2180 inner silent burner cap
    2183 outer silent cap

Svea was famous for marking every part with the company name. The items I list above will probably only be marked Sweden if marked at all.
    You can ask Mike at Base Camp if he has a set of Svea caps. They aren't listed on the web site but he's been known to have other parts "out in the shed".