Svea 105 arrived today! ..but what is this part?

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by NW Lady, Oct 15, 2016.

1. NW Lady

Received my pretty Svea 105 today. Looks to be in good condition. Original box and instructions...but slowly leaks air. Looks like this beauty will be my first real "fettle".

I have looked at pictures on this site but I don't remember seeing this part (2nd pic). . It was snapped onto one of the tubes of the burner. thank you and Cheers! mary DSC_6269.JPG DSC_6291.JPG

2. aomb30

I have a similar Svea 105 with that same device which absorbs some of the alcohol from the priming cup and maintains a "pilot light" near the burner for, hopefully, long enough to ignite the burner when you pressurize the tank.

3. NW Lady

Thank you! Just hadn't seen a picture of it.

4. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @NW Lady

Page 13 of this catalogue has the same device illustrated:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/1925-primus-catalog-nr-1345-kokapparater.31060/

The wide bit with the visible wick sits in the spirit cup with the top of the tube placed adjacent to the flame spreader and the whole thing is clipped to the burner tube.

The theory is that when the spirit cup burns all the spirit, there is still a flame at the top of the lighting wick. Very useful for silent burners that need to be lit after the spirit cup goes out.

Nice stove, by the way. Have fun!

Tony

5. NW Lady

Thank you for the info, Tony. and the link. I can see how this little thing would work.

6. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Nice looking stove, great find. I have one stashed on a shelf in the garage, a few rarely seen stoves.
    Duane

7. NW Lady

thank you! found out it has a leaking NRV,,, but for me this is great news in a way. I get the chance to actually "fettle" something :)

8. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

9. NW Lady

Kerophile,,,, thanks, ... Wow! that little lights works good. seems like a really good idea for silent burners. Thanks for the link.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  10. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Now you need the sister/brother......... SVEA 106

11. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

@snwcmpr Ken, don't encourage her, I think she's about out of control now. Like when I started 6 years ago, 100 some stoves later. :) Is that kero fumes I smell from my Starbucks Cappuccino?
    Duane

12. janders

janders Subscriber

13. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, @NW Lady ,

As your resident "Doctor" here at CCS, I easily see that you have been deeply infected with the dreaded "Stove Pox"!!! There is NO known cure, and the only way to deal with the symptoms, is to acquire new stoves, often, and enjoy them!!!! It is HIGHLY contagious, so be careful that you don't "infect" your family and friends, with the "Pox"!! :thumbup::D/:lol:

Very nice 105 you have there, and as @snwcmpr says, now you need the 106 to keep it company!! I have the opposite problem, in that there is a nice 106 down in The Hobbit Hole, but alas, no 105, as of yet!! ;):-({|=:lol:

@kerophile , many thanks for sharing Al's neat video on the SVEA 105, and the auto igniter. SB and I paid Al and his lovely wife a visit when passing through their area, a few years back, and it was really great to meet them. Al's a very interesting man, and it was wonderful to meet him and his wife!!

@janders , @hikerduane , is just being careful and picky, as his collection has quite a few nice goodies in it!! ;) :thumbup: Take care, and God Bless!

very Good Wish,
    Doc

14. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

@hikerduane I have seen @NW Lady does not need encouragement, she is definitely on a roll.
    Only 100????

Ken in NC

15. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, @NW Lady ,

Just so you know the next stove you have to find, here's a link to a post I made after finding my SVEA #106, up in Alaska, many years ago.

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/found-in-alaska-svea-106-box.17244/

On that one trip, I scored NINE fantastic stoves, and shipped them all back home! The #106 was one of them, and I have very fond memories of the trip on which I found it! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

16. NW Lady

@hikerduane ... you are a bad influence!

Yes, Doc, your diagnosis is correct, I fear..... Stove Pox! I am treating the symptoms as best I can. I spent time on ebay yesterday and bought nothing!

As snowcamper says.... I need no encouragement as I fear I have a "full blown case of Stove Pox". ....and it may be spreading in my family. My son has been eyeing the 111T... and thought it would be nice to have a birthday Coleman 502.

Unfortunately like so many addicts... I am not seeing this affliction as a real problem yet... and I keep telling myself I have the strength to control my urges and not own 100 stoves!!

...and your beautiful shots of stoves burning and looking pretty definitely is having a detrimental effect on my condition.

...and good morning to all of you!!

17. NW Lady

...and like owning a horse, the initial cost pales compared to the cost of proper tools and parts needed.... where to display/store the stoves....keeping clean/dusted....doing maintenance so they are safe to use.

While making my morning coffee I kept repeating.... "I will not buy another stove until the 105 is finished... I will not buy another stove today"

Now I am on the hunt for parts and tools. I love seeing pics here of stoves that look like they might just get thrown out, come to life and look beautiful again.

18. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I have to do another stove audit and update my list, last count was about 160 stoves, a fraction of what Doc has, but I've only been at it over 6 years. I've been very fortunate, having no mortgage or car payment, I can go crazy sometimes, foolish money, but I'm covered in my early retirement. Lanterns are around 27 I think now. I was trying to get that number under 20, but sell one, buy two. :)
    Duane

19. NW Lady

OMG! That is a lot of stoves and lanterns! I had a suspicion that Doc was more afflicted. Everything a stove his mentioned here, seems like he has two of it! lol How to you store or display them? Keep the dust off them? I am already planning on getting a rather large glass display case but that wouldn't even touch your collection.

I think there should be a new thead entitled: Stovie Addiction ... Each post should start with.. "Hello.. my name is Mary....and I a stovie". ...followed by pics of the persons' collection.

20. janders

janders Subscriber

I'd wait a bit...
    I also had such plans, but the collection grew faster than I could manage to find larger display cases... Then it was too late for any sort of display case :oops: