Svea 106 - The King of Stoves *

Discussion in 'Svea No:106' started by Prime Us, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Prime Us

If this is The King of Stoves, which I'm willing to accept since I'm kind of ga-ga about it, then which stove is the Queen? Are there Princes and Princesses? Dukes, Ladies, Jesters, Rooks and Pawns?
    As I wrote, I found His Highness at a local junk shop for cheap. He was brown with oxidation, no pot supports or little windscreen miniskirt thing and the pot leg ferrule-feet were pointing in many wrong directions but everything else was there and in good order. Polishing was a royal pain. I made stainless pot rests and a .015" brass shimstock miniskirt. (I'm fond of miniskirt imagery, but The King prefers "kilt").

1355010341-150308_033.jpg

1355010349-150308_034.jpg 1355010357-150308_035.jpg 1355010368-150308_036.jpg 1355010380-150308_037.jpg 1355010332-150308_038.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. ajvuik

ajvuik Subscriber

NICE! I really like the engravings on this beauty.

All you need now is it's crown (Flame spreader) and this one is back on it's throne ;)

3. jenspetter 123

Hi

Great fettle and a beautiful stove! These old stoves are almost like pieces of art. Nice photos. Are you going to fire it?

Regards

4. Prime Us

Thanks Arjan and Jens, When I bought it all I knew was that it was brass. I've used plenty of 123s so was surprised to learn that the 106 uses kerosene. It is a beautiful object; feels rather ostentatious. I'm really not a collector (honest, I can quit anytime I want) but I'm glad that I stumbled upon this stove. I'll try to light it some evening and post pictures.

Gary

5. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Primus, First class fettle. Your stove is looking beautiful.

If you are able to get a flame ring and a reserve cap it will be complete.

If you look on this thread you will see a descripion of tarnish removal, which I wrote foe Doc:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/8854

It should make you life easier with the next one....... Stoves are seriously addictive.

To answer one of your questions; Yes there was a stove marketed as the "Prince":

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/4543

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  6. spudz

Beautiful!
    Do you have the reserve lid (transit lit) that screws onto the tank in place of the riser tube when transporting the stove full of fuel and onto pump handle when the stove is in use?
    If not, contact ExeterYak, a CCS member. he should be able to make one for your stove.

Lovely fettle, well done.

7. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

More comments about the Svea 106. The use of Arabic writing on the stove tanks is one of the interesting features of the Swedish stoves, which reflected both their worldwide export market as well as the inherent decorative features of Arabic script. But the makers of the 106 (this version) went all-out with this concept, not only covering the main body of the fount with the writing, but the "collar" at the base of the riser tube as well. This together with the other graphics gives a really magnificent piece; the apothesis of the brass 1 3/4 pinters.

8. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Ed, Check out the photo of the top of the roarer burner. I believe we have English, Arabic and Russian ( Cyrillic) texts.
    Stoves can be a real education.
    Best Regards,
    George.

9. Prime Us

You are all very kind. I feel so lucky to have just stumbled upon such a beautiful stove; no research, no seeking, a 5 mile ride on my bike to my favorite crappy junk shop, a very few dollars, a little elbow grease (my favorite part) and voila! My life as a stove collector is complete.

Best...
    Gary

10. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

Just be grateful for being that lucky!!! I have found some nice stove related stuff for a great price or, (like my 413G) for free, but NOTHING as elegant as the Swedish made goodies!!!! I am sure it will come my way, in the meantime, I'll just look at yours and dream....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: =D>

11. Ed Winskill

I have the Cyrillic transliteration CBEA on the burner of my office stove as well, George.
    I was home at lunch and looked at my other Svea 106, the one I was camping with, and as I remembered it is the "plainer" version, ie, the Arabic script on the main part of the tank is smaller, and the tank 'collar' has no script on it. The burner 'cross' has Arabic and Latin alphabet; no Cyrillic.
    It's more on the order of the other Swedish 1 3/4 pinters; very nicely incised, but not with the elaborate, almost florid decorativeness of the other one, Prime Us's example and the one in my office. I had noticed this difference before.
    One naturally must wonder, why the two types? I've seen British examples of a totally plain tank with a sticker, and an incised version; in particular the Burmos 21. That would seem to be purely a matter of cost. This situation seems different somehow.....
    Very interesting!

12. Prime Us

I've been lighting white gas stoves since I was a kid; this is the first time I've lit a kerosene stove. The link that Kerophile provided to the procedure on YouTube totally demystified the process. His Highness lit right up and burned great. Thanks for all y'all's help.

KingLit.jpg

13. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

OK, Lads,

You're seen the most beautiful SVEA 106, and now, I'll show you mine. It's a "work-a-day" SVEA, that I found up in Anchorage, Alaska, a few years ago. A previous owner had crafted a very nice wooden box for it, and I got it for less then $25! That was my greatest stove gathering adventure, as some of you may recall, and I garnered NINE "new" stoves up there on that trip, including this neat SVEA 106!! I have yet to fettle it, or to try and fire it up, for which I'm justly ashamed and chagined!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: But, here it is, anyway, for what it's worth!!

DSCN3978.jpg

DSCN3979.jpg

DSCN3981.jpg

DSCN3982.jpg

DSCN3983.jpg

DSCN3984.jpg

DSCN3985.jpg

And, so Ed and Prime Us can see the markings on the proper flame ring, here's a last shot.

DSCN3986.jpg

So, that's mine, and though it is certainly not in the same clean class as is Prime Us' SVEA, I love it, just the same!! Maybe I'll get 'round to it, one of these days, and then I'll fettle, fire up, and then clean up this wonderful SVEA stove!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

14. Ed Winskill

By gum, Doc, the one in my office has the marked flame ring, too. Never noticed that before.....

15. Prime Us

Thanks Doc, it's great to see how a 106 is supposed to be. I've been daydreaming about how to make a flame ring and your photos will be quite instrumental in preventing me from doing something crazy, like earning a living. I've also been wondering how to transport the stove, fantasizing about all kinds of bags, boxes, tins, etc. so it's nice to see the box option.

Best...
    Gary

16. steelman

Thanks share nice photo!..i also have one svea 106 stove too ,but i don't know how old ..about it .. it's really a good camping stove...i'm love it~ :D
    DSC06262_nEO_IMG.jpg
    seva106-1.jpg
    DSC06281_nEO_IMG.jpg

Best Regards

17. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, Steelman,

Very nice photos of your wonderful SVEA 106! Both you and Prime Us are going to shame me into cleaning mine up, I think!! :oops: ;) 8) :D :D Nicely done, and thanks for sharing it with us!!

Do you have any of the really old SVEAs, with the pump that goes completely through the fuel tank? I have two of them, and will have to dig them out and post photos. But, the 106 is simply an outstanding stove, and your's is one of the nice ones, too! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

18. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Evening, Ed,

Sorry my Friend, I didn't know that your's have its flame ring. I was thinking that you were missing that part, but now seem to remember that you mentioned you'd just left it behind. Guess I'd better go back and read the whole thread again, eh?!! "Gettin' old and fergetfull"......!! :oops: :roll: ;) :lol: :lol: Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

19. steelman

Hey,Doc,

I just only one svea 106 stove .but i have other stoves..radius 17L and optimus 48 ..I think they should be same.. 8)

Best Regards

20. Ed Winskill

Doc, my "user" 106 is minus the flame ring, but my office display one has the ring. I'd just never noticed the Svea incising with model number on the flame ring before....