Svea 123 & a RM picnic?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Duck, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Duck

Duck United States Subscriber

Got a package I had been waiting for today. In it was a Svea 123 with a Sigg tourist set. The guy that sold it to me said he was throwing in an unbranded stove he had gotten with a bunch of other stuff. He said he thinks it’s just a cheapie 210 clone in an unmarked tin. So I impatiently waited for it to arrive to find out what it was. Pretty sure it’s an RM picnic if not I’m sure someone will correct me.

69117C51-5123-49EA-9C1F-A2549A9C746C.jpeg E06C85A9-1DBB-43E6-941D-AD0F03B4E093.jpeg AA8A7508-2DCA-44D0-9935-4A00E26365A5.jpeg C0D533F9-48F8-4496-8371-0ADA8CE6C4A2.jpeg

2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @Duck. The British 1 pint stove you have is a good quality item.
    In the absence of markings or labels it is difficult to home in on a particular brand. The later Thermidor, Veritas and RM 1-pint stoves are essentially identical, and may have all been made in the same factory.

Be sure to check the jet aperture carefully before using a pricker to clean it. Some of these stoves, produced at the time of the “Suez Crisis” were re- jetted with the smaller, 0.23 mm diam. jets, instead of the normal 0.32 mm diameter aperture:

RM Picnic. Wickless Oil Stove.

THERMIDOR 1 PINT PARAFFIN STOVE

I look forward to seeing photos of the operating stove in the Reference Gallery.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  3. Duck

It might be a little while for that Kerophile, for some reason I have the grandkids for a few days.

4. Duck

Had a little time to work on these stoves. The Svea 123r was simple a little cleaning and checking and it fired right up. Just need to replace nrv for peace of mind. The there’s the RM.. apparently it has been mis-used by a PO. the burner tubes are bent, burner cup deformed almost like it had been dropped. I straightened as much as I could but the nipple is twisted slightly out of line. I need to get new gaskets for it as when I tried a test fire flames came from places it shouldn’t. The plan is to replace all gaskets and seals and see if I can get it to burn decent. If it does I’ll spend more time straightening the burner if not hopefully I can find a replacement burner.

5. Duck

It’s been fighting me but I think I’m starting to get it where it needs to be a little more fettling and I can call it good. Right now it’ll burn pretty good for a while then get gunked up and burn wonky. So tomorrow the burner comes off and soaked in carb cleaner then blown out with the compressor hopefully that’ll get whatever is in the tubes out. Wish I could find a source for a new nipple.
    05815558-DA7D-413C-BFDB-DBA2547A1CD3.jpeg

6. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

@Duck

Nipples, no problem. On eBay such as here.

7. Duck

@shagratork I’ve bought from them before. Only problem is they don’t specify the size. the nipple on these stoves are 0.23 not the standard 0.32. I’ll just have to wait till they get back from their holiday and ask them what size they are.

8. shagratork

Hi @Duck

It is true that the eBay description does not give the jet size.
    Most of the nipples sold on eBay are 0.32mm. The 0.23 nipples are much harder to obtain.

However, contact me in a Conversation with your details and I will send you what you need.

9. Wim

Wim Subscriber

The RM (and other 1-pinters) should work perfectly with the ,32 nipples. The ,23 ones were used as an "economy" measure during the oil crisis only resulting in a less powerful flame, thus adding more time to get a kettle to a rolling boil. Net result... none!
    The same with Primus L71 and similar, early ones came with a ,32 nipple, then they switched to ,23 ones. When needing a replacement I use the ,32 variety. I do have a good supply of ,23 ones but hardly use them.

Best regards,

Wim

@Duck , @shagratork

10. Duck

@Wim thank you, I'll try changing to a .32
    @shagratork thank you for your offer but from what Wim says I can use one of my spare .32 nipples.

11. shagratork

@Duck
    No problem. If you have a spare 0.32 nipple it will work fine.

12. Duck

I guess if I looked at this first I wouldn’t have had to search all through the archives to figure out what stove it was..](*,)

004E8C59-60A6-44EB-A77E-9035CD9EF169.jpeg