svea 123 key not R key?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Vance R Austin, Nov 19, 2020 at 8:31 PM.

1. Vance R Austin

I know this has been mentioned. I need a 123 key and chain or just the key? If anyone wants to sell or trade for the key if you have a spare. I would be humbled and honored. Ebay has one for $28, I cant see paying that for a key. Ill make one if have too. Would rather have org for backpacking. Thank you and its so nice to be on here for like minded stoveites...

2. Jim Lukowski United States

I don't have a spare key to part with, but if you just need a key until you can find an original, go to your local antique store and ask them to pull out their clock keys. I think the 123 uses a #2 clock key. The 123 is small, so I'd just bring it with you to confirm fit.

3. bem1965 Sweden

4. Vance R Austin

Thank you for the replies. I ordered from kitelamp. I can wait, just will use another stove

5. 907_Nick

907_Nick Unknown Subscriber

It is a #2 clock key (2.75 mm square shaft). I use them on all my sveas because they are longer and don't get as hot as the stock svea key. If you can't find one locally, they can be found on ebay easy enough for a few bucks.

All your missing using a clock key is the ability to tighten the packing on the valve and the jet. While I can imagine that might be required in the field, I've never had to do it. I usually carry a multi-tool with me on trips and I'm confident I could use that to tighten packing/jet without hurting anything.

6. Vance R Austin

Awesome thank you

7. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

I have had the need to do field maintenance involving R&R of both jet and packing nut on a couple of longer trips. I would want the wrenches on the Svea key (or other small wrenches) for this job. Using the pliers on a multitool will scar the brass. If you can find the proper key, it's worth obtaining it.

....Arch