Svea 123 leaking after shutting down

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Booi, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Booi Netherlands

Hi there, first: I am living in the Netherlands, my language is Dutch, so I try to make my problem clear in your English. I bought an brand new "classic" stove. I was impressed by what I saw on YouTube.

When I turn my stove off, I turn it to the the right, it turns off. So far so good, but after some time the stove starts to leak fuel. I tried also to turn it to te left.. but als the same problem.

I brought the stove back to the shop. They found a problem, which they solved. I was happy.
    But last week, after using the stove, it started again leaking.

What can I do to resolve my problem?

Thanks for helping, cheers Booi

2. Jesper Värn

Jesper Värn Sweden Subscriber

Hi, Booi! And welcome to the cheerful party of proud Svea owners! :-)

Where is this stove leaking? From the top end of the nozzle of the burner? Or somewhere else?

If it leaks from the top - it *might* be from pressure in the tank. What happens if you would open the tank lid every now and then (to equalize the pressure after use)? Does that do any difference for you?

3. Booi Netherlands

Hi Jesper, thanks! Yes I think that might solve problem. Because when I put my 123 outside, it wil dry up immediately. It is exact like you are saying, it leaks at the top. And only when my stove is inside the house, where it is 20 degrees C.

4. Jesper Värn

Jesper Värn Sweden Subscriber

Being an avid user of my Svea 123R - here's what I do: I usually turn it off after using, letting it cool down for a moment, and then open the fuel tank lid for a short while to equalize pressure before it goes back in my pack. When coming home - and having the stove inside again I let open the tank lid again for a brief moment before I put the stove in storage. For any long term storage - I would empty the tank and leave the tank lid "half screwed on", just to not lose it.

I use my Svea a LOT and it's a nice little stove once you get the hang of it (and really really easy to service and maintain - even in the field - it is virtually bomb proof) - however - with these little self pressurizing stoves like the Svea 123 and Primus 71 and the like, temperature differences might lead up to small leakages (of a few drops) from time to time.

5. Booi Netherlands

Thanks again Jesper, I was thinking that de nozzle would shut down completely when turning it to the right. But what you are saying makes me feel a bit more secure with my stove. Have a good day there in your beautiful country. I was there once in 1990. Hadanger Vidda I remember very well. :)

6. Cookie

Cookie United States Subscriber

Are we assuming that this stove is a new 123R model since you mentioned it was a "brand new classic stove". If so is it possible that the needle is improperly adjusted from the factory preventing complete shut off of the valve thus allowing it to leak slowly after use at the jet/nipple area ? Does it have the tell tale sign of a tiny flame when you shut it off and you have to wait for it to go out or blow it out manually ?

7. Booi Netherlands

Hi cookie, yes it's the brand new stove. I shut it off by turning it to the right. And the flame dies. It will dry up when I am outside. But when I am indoors, it takes some time, and then it starts to bring up white gasoline. And when I take the stove outside, it is OK. The nozzle dries up. I think like Jesper said before, that the warmth wil build up pressure.

8. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

Brand new, I would not like a leaky stove, can you return it?? My 123 (not R) shuts off and doesn't leak, which is the way it should be. Sure, loosening cap not a bad idea, but should not be required.

9. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

So this is a Svea 123R (not 123) with the built in cleaning needle?

....Arch

10. Booi Netherlands

Yep!

11. Booi Netherlands

I asked via the mail, but I think that Corona makes it difficult.. The owner of my shop here in Holland is a very nice guy. He did earlier an reparation on it. Was something with a bolt, the gasket and the crane, that was loose.. They send the stove away, so they don't know either probably.

12. Ray123

Ray123 Subscriber

I think Cookie has the right idea. The cleaning needle may not be set properly from the factory. Many times people have asked this same question as you did. If it is set too high the valve will not close properly and you'll get a slight leak. You do not need the cleaning needle for the stove to run. Unscrew the burner bell then the nozzle and remove the cleaning needle. Put the burner bell and nozzle back on and try running the stove without the needle. If it shuts off as it should then you know it was the cleaning needle causing the problem. It is nice to have the cleaning needle and putting it back in and setting it properly is not difficult. I will try to link to the procedure for setting it unless someone steps up and explains it.

The stove should never leak any fuel when the valve is closed.

Edit: Check this old post . Look at reply #2.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  13. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I know this is a generalization, but ....
    The newer stoves do not have the same quality as the older stoves. This may be a defect by manufacturing.

Removing the cleaning needle, and testing, is the first and best task.

14. Booi Netherlands

Thanks Ray, I am searching YouTube now, to see how I can open it, without damaging my burner..

15. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Remove the filler cap to ensure no pressure is in the tank.
    Unscrew the burner bell.
    Remove the jet/nipple.
    Turn the valve left (CCW) and the cleaning needle will rise and at some point you will be able to remove it. A pencil eraser works well for this.
    Replace the jet/nipple.
    Replace the burner bell.
    Turn the valve closed.

Prime and light the stove.

Replacing the cleaning needle is a little more detailed. We can cross that bridge later.

Ken

16. Booi Netherlands

Woww, that was easy.. I did what you suggested. I picked out the needle, and replaced it. That was not very easy.. but I managed it. I think I had luck with replacing the needle, maybe you have an suggestion? I think I changed te range with screwing the.. I don't now what I am screwing. maybe the wick?

17. Cookie

Cookie United States Subscriber

The only type of stove that I had leak once I take it inside has always been a kero stove with no valve. After cooking lunch in the cold I did not de-pressuize it fully and returned it to a warm space thus allowing pressure to build once again. I walked into my office to smell kero and there was a good bit noticed. This has never happened to me with a gasoline stove.

I have an early model 123R that needed the valve re-timed when I got it. It was an easy task that took me a few tries to get it just right but it has been flawless since. Since your stove is new it is possible that some debris may be present in the valve or perhaps a burr from manufacturing process exists. Luckily these stoves are easy to inspect and repair. Even if the stove is building up pressure once you bring it inside it is the valves job to stop that pressure at all times when it is closed. It should only leak if partially open.

Summary: The valve in the stove is not fully closed for some reason. Check the needle timing, valve body for debris, and valve tip mating area for blockage or debris.

SVEA 123R Candle Flame? | BernieDawg Stove Lab

18. Booi Netherlands

Thanks!

19. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

20. IvanN

IvanN United States Subscriber

A small candle flame after you shut off the stove is not uncommon. In addition to the above, It could be a small bit of something in the valve or the valve may need to be mated better with the spindle. There are threads here that discuss how to do it. Somebody here can find them and give a link to them. I know I’ve read them, but couldn’t find them just now.
    Ivan