SVEA 123 leaking fuel cap with new gasket

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by clibik, Apr 16, 2019.

1. clibik Australia

Hi, I have a svea 123 that produced a weak flame and leaked fuel when I tested it. I replaced the fuel cap gasket with a proper viton one (3mm thick) but the dunk test showed a leak from the cap, both the thread and the center hole. The cap is the one that goes with a mini pump.

Is it worth the time to replace the pip, or is this cap toast? And could a new cap, deep clean or anything fix this? Thanks for your time, I'm really hoping to get this stove working and not have to buy a whisperlite. I've been carrying this stove around for years through several moves but have never tried to get it working. This forum has been very helpful and I've learned a lot by searching and reading. I started off by replacing the graphite packing but that idea was not well conceived. Thanks again for participating in this unique and friendly community.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  2. TheSandMan United States

My experience with the 123 is limited (I have a two 123 and two 123R) as I have only had to replace the seals in the caps once.

Cleaning the old gasket out thoroughly is, of course, important. Replacing that pip at the same time as the gasket is a wise move as both have seen the same amount of heat and pressure over time.

You might want to revisit the installation fo the cap gasket to make sure that all of the old gasket is out, then go ahead and replace the pip as well.

A Whisperlite is not a suitable replacement. Here is what I did with my Whisperlite:

3. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Welcome to CCS.
    I am not sure how much experience you have with the 123.
    The filler cap, or the pump cap are both easily fitted with new gaskets and pips, and sometimes an o-ring. No need to throw it away.

And nothing wrong with having a Whisperlite, it depends on what you want the stove to do.

4. CW

CW United States Subscriber

5. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @clibik

From you description of “...a leak from the cap, both the thread and the centre hole”, you need to service your filler/pump cap.

In this thread (about an Optimus 199), I show how this is done in the section on the pump cap:

Disassembly and reassembly of Optimus No. 199 (Ranger)

Note: You need the correct tool for your style of cap.

In this thread I show the disassembly of Svea 123:

Svea 123 Disassembly

The link posted by @CW shows the components of your pump cap.

Cheers

Tony