SVEA 123 mistreated with automotive fuel

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Tron, May 15, 2019.

1. Tron

Tron Subscriber

Hi,
    I recently bought a classic, Swedish made SVEA 123R. It came in the mail absolutely brimmed with regular gasoline, Automotive fuel. Petrol if you like. I poured it into (through two filters) a canister I use for one of my small outboard engines, let it sit for a while without the cap and then refuelled with white gas (Aspen). It burns well, but maybe not as hot as my ther SVEA, but I can not tell for sure. It has probably been used with the automotive stuff all its life (the jet was covered in hard, black deposits), should I take any further steps to remedy tha abuse its been through? I am inclined not to touch it, since it burns very well, but if I can expect any trouble later one because of it being used with the wrong fuel I would rather do something about it before I take it on a trip.

Also, is there a way of dating these stoves? (I tried a dinner and a movie, but she would not fess up). The stove is really an Optimus 88, it came incomplete with only the base, windshield and frying pan. i can not see any date stamps on the aluminium bits. Here it is:
    20190514_222555.jpg 20190514_225144.jpg 20190514_232224.jpg

I soaked the jet, burner bell/flame plate and key in (separate) baths of warm water, detergent and citric acid. The key and the burner bell/flame plate came out like they were new in ten minutes. The jet took a lot longer, and then some hard work with a little steel wool. When I fired the stove it clogged the jet repeatedly for the first five minutes, and lots of sparks/burnt soot came out of the burner when I cleaned the jet, but after that it just burns loud and blue, and even simmers with a low, but blue flame. With the windscreen from my other SVEA, a new Taiwanese model, it burner 0.8l cold water outside in a slight breeze and 4 degree Celsius in 6 minutes. So it is probably fine?

20190515_003337.jpg 20190515_003843.jpg

I would be grateful for any input on this.

Kind regards
    Tron

2. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

As a longtime 123 user, I'd say that it looks great in operation. I'd do nothing more.

3. SveaSizzler

SveaSizzler United States Subscriber

''If it ain't broke, don't fix it'' oldtimers used to say.
    But if you want to make it totally lead-free, you could soak the tank with carburetor cleaner, then pour it out. Replacing the wick may complete the deal.

4. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

Any gunk from the auto gas should slowly dissolve in the white gas, so the stove (which looks like it's running well) may improve with use.

....Arch

5. Tron

Tron Subscriber

Thank you.
    I think I will probably just use it for a while, it smells a little funny when burning, I will see if that goes away after a few full tanks of white gas. I would like to do a "full fettle", but not right now.

Kind regards
    Tron

6. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber SotM Winner

Made me laugh.
    There’s THIS phenomenal project from Exeter Yak that includes a timeline of 123/123R development.
    I agree with the others, your stove’s fuelling well and I believe you’re right to suppose that the residue/smell of the pump gasoline will go after several tank fulls of the right stuff.

John

7. Majicwrench

Looks good.

Did you dunk it and check for leaks at the cap gasket?? Whenever I get one that seems weak that is the first thing I do. Any leak at all will weaken the output quite a bit.

I have a Baby Enders that was run on RUG, I did not do much to clean it up, I would like to think it is running better with a few tanks through it, smell went away quickly.

8. Tron

Tron Subscriber

I was about to replace the cap gasket, but it felt soft and pliable like the new one I had, so left it alone. The stove builds pressure really well, so I did not see the need for a dunk test. Just boiled 0.8l of cold water in 6 mintes 15 seconds, so I'd say it past the tea test. The funny smell is almost gone too, after just one tank of white gas. I'm very happy!

Kind regards
    Tron

9. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber