Svea 123. Not enough pressure?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Quick Cal, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Quick Cal

Quick Cal United States Subscriber

I'm new to these small backpacking stoves. So I know nothing about them.

I just got this Svea 123, no R.

So here's the chain of events.

I over filled it with Crown fuel by accident. Poured some out to allow for air space. I'm using DA for priming. Lit it the first time and it was kinda sooty, had a medium flame. No roar.

Cleaned the jet. Had a erratic roaring flame. Only roared a bit, then flame stayed lower. But I did get that chugging sound that I hear on a lot of these. But short lived.

I took the jet off and cleaned inside and where it screws into. Drawing a blank of what that parts called.

Have lit it several times and I'm not getting a good flame at all. Seems like it's getting worse. Seems like not enough pressure. I did flip the fuel cap gasket over. No change. I do have a new one on the way.

Is the tank supposed to get so hot you can't hold it long enough to turn the key. Also, the flame spreader is getting cherry red. Is that normal. My Optimus 8r does not do that.

Any ideas what's going on. I'm pre heating 1-3 times. Nothing seems to help. Am I doing something wrong.

Please advise. Thanks.

20201024_214006[1].jpg

2. CW

CW United States Subscriber

3. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

It does get hot, and burning your thumb and finger on a key left on the shaft is a rite of 123 passage. And yes, cherry red is quite good.

Others will be along as to troubleshooting.

4. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    It sounds like you aren’t getting enough vapourised fuel through the jet. This could be because either:

1. The fuel cap is not sealing properly. Is the washer hard? Try putting some Vaseline on the seal and see if that works.

Or,

2. Your wick is charred and not letting enough fuel wick into the burner.

Before going into the process of replacing the wick, make sure the fuel cap is not the problem.

Cheers

Tony

5. Quick Cal

The fuel cap gasket was soft but I still flipped it over.

Think I'll go try the cap off the 8r and see what happens. I think it will fit, right? Guess I'll know in a few seconds,,,lol.

6. Tony Press

Good idea if your 8R cap is fine.

Cheers

Tony

7. Quick Cal

Success, kinda.

I switched the fuel cap and it made no difference. I lit it several times and I swear it kept getting worse. I was just about to pull the vaporizer out to look at the wick.

All though I had just cleaned the jet I decide to poke it just for fun. Man what a flame I got. Roaring very loud. I shut it off, and then re-lit it. Back to a lower flame. Pricked it again and back to roaring.

So the question is do you have to prick these EVERY TIME!!. Or could my wick be chard and letting crap get sucked through.

I do have an ultra sonic cleaner I can throw the jet in to make sure it's nice and clean.

What do you guys think is going on?

A bit different eh.

20201025_002615[1].jpg

8. Ed Winskill

My answer, being a user of the 123 on every backpacking trip for the last 14 years, is yes, you have to prick the jet every time. Amazing how often that gets the stove going right. If I forget, get an anemic response, I prick the jet.

That's why these classics, including the three-legged brassies, always come with prickers. Always some kind of floater around in there that bobs up now and then; comes with the territory!

9. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

I also prick mine every time, but it sounds like you have some crud below the jet. You can remove the jet and try to clean it out with a probe or q-tip. Or it may be the wick starting to disintegrate.

....Arch

10. Tony Press

I would start by getting some pressurised carburettor cleaner and squirting it down where the nipple screws into the vapouriser. Do this a few times and light. It might help clear the crud that keeps blocking your jet.

Cheers

Tony

11. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

I am betting on a charred wick - sending small pieces of debris towards the jet?

12. Lantern

Cherry red flame spreader. I'd say it's putting out plenty of heat.

13. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Replacing the wick can be a daunting experience. I agree with others above, and suggest trying all other methods before the wick change.
    Most importantly ensure that the crud is removed from below the jet/nipple.

I suspect that you have a reoccurring blockage of the same crap.
    You might try this.... very carefully.
    While the stove is still warm, not hot, and the valve is off...
    Remove the jet and open the valve to allow some fuel to push any gunk out.
    DO NOT do this near a flame.

If you do plan to change the wick...
    There are plenty of great posts about how to do that. One caution is to NOT twist the vaporizer so hard that you deform the thin walled tank.
    Penetrating oil and patience are the main tools used for the wick change on an older stove that most likely has not had that procedure done in MANY years.
    I use Kano Kriol or 50/50 acetone/ATF. ATF = Automatic Transmission Fluid.

A dunk test is also a good idea. Dunk the cold, or room temp, stove, without fuel, into hot water and see if any bubbles start to escape as the stove warms up.

Replacing the pip in the SRV is something I do anytime I replace the filler cap gasket. You can look that up here also, there is much already written about that.

14. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

Hi, I will go for the wick, clean the burner and rince the tank. You are lucky it happens at home + you will know your nice stove if something happens in the woods.
    Can we see it?
    Good luck

15. Quick Cal

Can I light it with out the jet in place?

16. Ed Winskill

I don't think that would work out too well. Why would you do that?

You'd get a gasoline fire of some kind I figure.

17. CW

CW United States Subscriber

Yes you can but let the fire go out and use the pressure in the tank to try and clear the debris in the vaporizer. Try soaking the jet in white vinegar for an hour or so. I use a trimmed to a point q tip stick to get into the bottom of the jet. Keep trimming and cleaning until it comes out clean. Soak it again if needed.

18. Quick Cal

Here ya go.

I haven't cleaned it yet. Not sure if I want to polish it or not. Kinda like it just like it is. But I guess maybe it wouldn't hurt to put something on it to preserve it. What do you guy's recommend. I like a Miracle cloth. It has coconut oil in it. Works great.

There's what looks like a date code on the inside of the box. Is that a date code?

Got a Sigg Tourist kit for it too.

Extra points if anyone knows what it's sitting on,,,lol.

20201025_144942[1].jpg

20201025_145056[1].jpg

20201025_145104[1].jpg

20201025_145813[1].jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Attached Files:

19. Ed Winskill

The Svea 123/Sigg Tourist combo is the best thing going for cooking on the trail. Outstanding.

20. Quick Cal

So I went out and pulled it apart and cleaned the jet and top of the vaporizer with carb cleaner. It ran once just fine. Lit it a second time and I was only getting flame on one side of the flame spreader,,lol. I knew that told me something was in the jet. I held it up and could see a blob sticking out of the jet while it was running.

Took it back apart and cleaned it all again. This time while it was warm, and I did open the valve all the way and shut it back off. Couldn't really see anything but fuel come out.

I've lit it 3 times now with no issues. So it may have got flushed out. I'll keep at it and see what happens. If it gives me anymore trouble I'm going to pull the wick.

20201025_150540[1].jpg

Hard to see but there is a black blob sticking out of the jet and it's running.

20201025_150649[1].jpg