Svea 123 Optimus 8R and 99 fuel tank cap

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Steve Sklueff, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Steve Sklueff

Does anyone know what tool to use, and where to find one, so I can access and service the pip seal?

Thank you!

Steve

979FC628-5AC8-4FC1-99EC-0C148B32FE99.jpeg

1F03CF71-096B-4631-89BB-93F00DE51C02.jpeg

E9CCC9A1-EC57-451D-87A1-11671AE53F78.jpeg

2. Four Smokes Wallup

Four Smokes Wallup Subscriber

Hi Steve, welcome.

A fellow by the name of BernieDawg has made a couple of videos on You Tube explaining how to take apart and put together these SRV caps (SRV = Safety Release Valve).

If you have a cheap screwdriver available or can buy one, the next step is to make a notch with a file in the middle of the blade to allow the blade to enter the slot without making contact with the round thing in the middle of the cap.

Alternatively, you can purchase new Optimus SRV caps / tank lids on Ebay if you’re not confident, or if there is a CCS member living nearby your location, they could volunteer to do it for you.

3. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

4. Four Smokes Wallup

Good to know about those two options also, @JP2

5. SveaSizzler

SveaSizzler United States Subscriber

I have a Svea 123 [1970] that also has the slotted SRV cap. Is the pip the same as the caps with the pentagonal fixture?

Steve, if you decide to just buy one, they can be had from www.base-camp.co.uk or fogas.se.
    I have bought parts from The Base Camp and they are reliable. Fogas did not reply to my email querry about Svea/Optimus parts, but it wasn't in Swedish.
    The Fettlebox sells the soft seals, but not the hardware parts.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  6. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

Hi @SveaSizzler
    When I did mine , I have burned the cork pip that was in and replaced it with the one you are talking about and it was a little bit narrower but still did the job.
    Please, if you open yours , can you give me the length of the spring for my reference. I want to compare it with another cap. Thank

7. SveaSizzler

SveaSizzler United States Subscriber

Since the cap works OK with a fresh fuel gasket, I haven't replaced the pip. When I do, I will remember to measure it for you. Do you want Metric or Standard [inches]?
    I haven't selected which slotted screwdriver to sacrifice to make a special tool. Since Sears is going under, I can't take the cut up one back for a fresh tool anymore.
    Did you say the OEM piece is cork? Did it scorch when you hit it with a gas torch to loosen the threadlocker?

8. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

Metric. You probably know that if the washer was try, the pip is dry. Funny thing about it is as soon as I have burned the pip when I was heating the tread, the plunger went in and I could unscrew it with a regular screw driver.

9. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

Metric

10. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

Here is the inside.
    As you can see the spring was not good anymore.

IMG_20190103_163705.jpg

11. Four Smokes Wallup

@JP2 , what source do you get new springs from when the old spring is kaput, please?

12. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

One of the ideas that came from research of the Svea 123, on this site, was that the whole caps did not need to be replaced to fix the SRV or filler cap seal. That may have possibly been the thought when the stove was sold, but not any longer. These are classics that only require a few simple fettling talents.
    Quite often the NOS cap would require the same replacements as the cap that the owner has. Thus, no help at all. A new cap would have its own set of problems.
    Research on this site over the years has resulted in knowledge of how to replace the seals of the various caps. The cap shown is one of the easier to fix the SRV.

That said, simply replacing the pip and seal is a straightforward fettle. Well done.

Ken in NC

13. Four Smokes Wallup

@snwcmpr, I wasn’t talking about NOS. I was referring to current manufactured lids for the Svea 123R and Hiker+ which fit previous 8Rs, 99s, and 111s just fine. It makes sense if the original non pressurizable cap is missing and 2 available pressurizable caps in my first 8R were damaged by previous owner(s) beyond safe repair. Otherwise, I would have fettled them in the best CCS tradition.

14. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

And putting a new, made in India, hood on a classic 2 Door '57 Chevy because it needs a seal refurbished?

I referred to NOS & New caps.

15. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

Is it as slotted cap Harry? Can I see the spring?

16. Four Smokes Wallup

No, it was one of the hex socketed current manufactured tank lids by Katadyn and has performed as expected. I saw no reason to dissassemble it after checking the resiliency of the inner seal.

17. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

Thank,

18. Four Smokes Wallup

Sorry, I was under the impression you had referred to NOS only. My object was a functional stove, which was achieved and continues to perform well to this day. The tank lid I got was right from Katadyn.

19. noise_boy United Kingdom

I had an interesting conversation with Base camp on this subject. I bought an Optimus 111 which had an incorrect filler cap from a primus stove. I wanted to replace with a cap with an srv and ideally the correct period for the stove.

Base camp sell the new katadyn caps that fit the hiker+ etc as well as many older stoves and they also sell old second hand caps. Base camp advised against the second hand version on grounds of safety, (or maybe they sensed correctly that I was inexperienced ). Essentially the argument is if you use or refurb a second hand srv you have no way of knowing if it's been set up correctly and therefore if it will release at the correct pressure. Their opinion was that if you must refurb an srv it's best if it was new to you as you can replicate the setting when you repair it.

I was advised that as it's a safety feature it's best not to mess with it. Now I would not for a minute want to cast doubt on the fettling abilities of people here as you are all more knowledgeable than I, and it is for that reason that I spent the extra 7 quid on a new cap for my old 111 safe in the knowledge that it will do what it's supposed to if needed!

20. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

True. I do agree.

And not. You can learn how to properly refurbish it here.
    We have studied them and have determined the proper way to refurbish.