Svea 123. To Fettle Or Not To Fettle?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by pipenfly, Mar 29, 2021.

1. pipenfly

pipenfly Subscriber

Hello To All

I recently acquired an old Svea 123 from the evil bay. This one has some Sievert stamping and I believe it to be all original. P_20210328_224857_vHDR_Auto~2.jpg
    Stamp on wind screen...
    P_20210328_223734_vHDR_Auto~2.jpg
    ... on burner bell...
    P_20210328_225839_vHDR_Auto~2.jpg
    ... etc...
    P_20210328_225006_vHDR_Auto~2.jpg
    ... etc.

This one burns quite nicely. I had only to change the tank lid rubber bits. Also, I gave the burner bell and flame plate a brass wire brush scrubbing. Some fresh CF and it fired right up.
    P_20210329_020203_SRES~2.jpg

What I did notice is that the flame plate is a little bent. That one is a simple enough fix. However, the burner bell is frozen to the vaporizer and out of round. Also, the vaporizer is cross threaded into the tank. As for the burner bell, I am confident that I will be able to release it then carefully tap it back into reasonable shape.
    Cross threaded vaporizers is something I haven't come across yet and the thought of it is giving me acid reflux. I know these fittings are a specially threaded and tapered.

I plan on running the stove as it is and giving it special care as a user. If somewhere along the line I need to get deeper into this stove, would it be possible to have the cross threaded vaporizer / fount connection buttoned up and functional after it is apart?

I like this stove very much. I'd appreciate any input, especially from some of you who may have run into this issue before.

2. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

Welcome pipenfly,
    re "...the vaporizer is cross threaded into the tank."
    Are you sure it's not bent over?
    Having it pushed off to a side is quite common. The fix can be tricky don't presume to simply muscle it sideways back (the opposite side might cave away).
    Often the resulting damage is pushed down and aside so fix would typically include (CAREFULLY) pulling up and not just pushing side ways. I defer to others and not recommending you have at it right away (it's a precious stove you have).

If it is cross threaded that is the exception and flat out sucks.
    FWIW I have many small petrol stoves many problems in the mix (problems seldom disclosed by sellers).
    At the moment I can't recall 1 being cross threaded.

I'll defer to others re wire brush :shock: and finish.
    thanks for posting it.
    good luck

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  3. pipenfly

pipenfly Subscriber

Thank you OMC. I inspected with more attention to detail. I was able to use the cup handle as a straight edge over the spirit indentation in order to create a more accurate (not completely accurate) frame of reference. The distance between the vaporizer nut and the inner edge of the spirit pan look to be equal on both sides.
    I do believe the vaporizer is bent over and is not cross threaded.
    P_20210329_125718_vHDR_Auto~2.jpg

4. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Carefully pulling up and in the direction needed as @OMC, suggested. I have used a golf ball or trailer ball to help reshape a bell, just wish I had something better. Be careful not to crush the bell when trying to reshape the upper area.
    Duane

5. pipenfly

pipenfly Subscriber

Thank you Duane! The misshapen bell does not bother me as much as cross threading. I thought for a moment that I purchased a real problem. I will carefully move the vaporizer and bell into it's intended position as suggested and use the stove as it is until something really needs attention. I feel lucky to have this one and intend to put a lot more miles / kilometres on it before I go ahead rebuild it.

6. E.B.

E.B. United States Subscriber

Good for you! I love seeing older stuff still being used as intended.

7. ArizonaCamper United States

As the navigator said in Forbidden Planet, "Time to change plugs..." For me, an antique radio collector for far too many years, have decided to pursue camp stoves… To that end, I acquired an SVEA 123. The tank is stamped: BENZOLINE PETROL ESSENCE BENSIN (No other marking, so don’t know its’ vintage) It is only missing the cookpot handle. I paid 40 bucks for it, but sure the money was appreciated by the homeless gentleman at the local flea-market!

So now to get it running, but would appreciate some direction from the membership. I’m in no particular hurry to add to the Arizona heat, and certainly should I need to order some gaskets and the like, will do so.

8. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

You can try firing up as it sits with 3/4 tank of white gas/camp fuel/Coleman fuel. Prime with denatured alcohol or a bit of gas. Usually older stoves need the fuel cap washer replaced, many like to also replace the pip in the SRV in the cap, but I usually leave that as it only creates a seal and will release if fount gets too hot and pressure has to release, plus it may require a tool to loosen, being careful on some SRV styles to count turns out so as to set pressure correctly again. Remember, this is small and can overheat if possibly used continuously or with a large pot. Order parts from our sponsor Thefettlebox. May take three weeks to get.
    Duane

9. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

WELCOME
    note 1. providing pics is typically the quickest method to get answers and avoid confusion.
    I post as I'm a bit confused. re:
    "The tank is stamped: BENZOLINE PETROL ESSENCE BENSIN (No other marking, so don’t know its’ vintage)"
    Given that ^^^, I have no idea what stove you have although you said
    "I acquired an SVEA 123."
    which brings us back to note 1 thanks

10. ArizonaCamper United States

Well, I fueled it up and preheated for about 5 minutes and was rewarded by a NICE BLUE flame! Not broken, don't FETTLE... Would that my Optimus 111B operated as well after some neophyte (me) fettling!!

11. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

One preheat should be all you need unless in cold conditions. The fount will heat up enough when in use. Congratulations.
    Duane

12. ArizonaCamper United States

Here is a photo of my 123 in operation a couple days ago. I fired it up today and the flame never did get as blue, so maybe I need to clean the jet? May I assume that the 123 does not feature the self-cleaning jet like its' bigger brothers? The folding "jet" cleaner tool thingy I have looks like it should fit into the jet, but I'm leery of jamming it in and opening the jet, making it inoperable... SVEA 123.jpg

13. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

That's what it's for.

And the 123 would be the 'bigger brother', or at least the older brother.

14. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Have you replaced the cap washer yet?
    Duane

15. ArizonaCamper United States

I've performed ZERO Fettling on this unit. Do you suppose that the cap washer is now "leaking" a bit and causing the yellow, sooty flame? I was just happy to get it to run; now I'll buy the necessary washers, etc and get busy restoring it! I'm just amazed to see how well the ancient technology works!

16. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

@ArizonaCamper Good find.
    When I change the filler cap gasket I also change the SRV pip. Can you show a picture of the filler cap?

17. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I'm just thinking the flame looked low with maybe the cap leaking and not allowing pressure to build. Who knows what caused the flame to be yellow now. Maybe fresh fuel broke up old fuel residue after sitting since first firing. Lots of things could have happened.
    Duane

18. Laitch

Laitch Subscriber

The ball side of a suitably-sized ball-peen hammer head could be useful in that application.

19. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

The cap gasket leaks on every one of these things I get, and when it does, it lets out the pressure and you end up with anemic flame. Put a new gasket in there!

If you want to see it leak....empty stove, leave fill cap loose, and put in freezer for 10 minutes. Heat a pot of water to just warm on kitchen stove. Take 123 from freezer, tighten cap, and dunk in warm water. The heat from the water will expand the air in the 123 and you will see bubbles from anything that is leaking.

And use that tip cleaner!

20. ArizonaCamper United States

Here are a few pics of my SVEA 123 filler cap. I noticed that the 8R is similar( 8R has a HEX shape, Vs. the 123 has 2 flats... ). Next step: To order repair parts from across the pond!

Attached Files: