SVEA #14 "Circa 1910", or so says the seller's tag!

Discussion in 'Svea No:14' started by Doc Mark, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, Stove Mates!

Just returned from a very, very long work trip, and wanted to share a special stove which was found along the way. As many of you know, my motto is, "if you look, you WILL find". With our business demanding far more from me than it ever has before, I seldom get a chance to go out and seek interesting stoves. This 5,500 mile driving trip, which took us to jobs in three States, was much the same, except for one very special day, when the above mentioned Old Timer came to hand!! Without further ado, here it is:

1.jpg

2.jpg
    Very interesting burner on this #14, and for me, something new, though I've seen this burner in posts by my Fellow Stovies, who also have one of these neat SVEA's. Of course, it's missing it's inner and outer caps, which is to be expected. So, I'm on the hunt, and in the meantime, when I have a lull in work, I'll see if I have something down in the Hobbit Hole, which will work on this stove.

3.jpg

4.jpg
    I love the excellent markings on these old stoves!!! It's patina, earned over the years, will remain as I found it, with no cleaning other than wiping what is needed to get it up and running. By the way, the NRV seems to work well, and this Old Guy pumps up pressure very well, indeed, without a single thing being done to help it along! Neat!!

5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

Here's that interesting burner. I've never owned one like this, and am quite happy to have found it! Finding the proper inner and outer caps may be a bit of a chore, but I'm up for the hunt!! Failing the finding of such items, I'm prepared to "make do" with whatever will work on this stove, and have several such items in mind, all of which I will try.

9.jpg

10.jpg

The cast ring is in fantastic condition, with nothing broken off, or cracked!! Wonderful!

11.jpg

12.jpg
    There is just something very attractive, and very special about these old, pot-bellied brassies, and when you add in the special burner, outboard NRV, and age, this stove is a most welcome find, indeed, and I feel blessed and lucky to have done so!!

13.jpg

Here's the seller's tag, which states that this stove is "circa 1910". I think that's pretty close to the mark, but a tad more research will tell that tale. As this stove is missing the inner and outer caps, I felt it was OK to offer less than the seller was asking, and the seller accepted my offer, which I thought was quite fair. A good deal for both of us!!

14.jpg

Thanks for checking out my "new" old SVEA #14! As soon as I laid eyes on this neat old stove, up in Wisconsin, I knew it was meant to live here with us, where it will be loved, and treated with the care and respect that it has earned!! IF, by the way, someone has the proper inner and outer caps for this stove, please give me a shout! We can trade, or I will happily purchase them, if available. Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Attached Files:

• 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      253.1 KB
      Views:
  2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Doc, welcome back!
    What a lovely Svea you have acquired.
    I think the date range is likely correct.

Here is a link to what I think is a near contemporary Svea No. 5:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/svea-no-5-early.4416/

Our stoves seem to have a lot is common, although the silent burner on mine could be a later replacement.

However, both stoves are marked "Best Stove in the World"
    They are both "PATENT"
    They have the classy "Bubble" lettering.
    They share external NRVs
    It will be interesting to see whether your stove has the early Turkish script Sefa spotted and commented upon.

Best Regards,
    George.

3. Doug L

Doug L Subscriber

That's a gem mark great find.
    you may want to look into these freeze plugs for the top cap.
    FreezePlugs.JPG

4. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

What an excellent stove.
    The date could well be correct.
    On CCS we do not have a lot of Svea information compared to Primus and Optimus, but this stove is only mentioned in the 1915 and 1916 catalogues.

5. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout SotM Winner Subscriber

Very purty patina with cool spirit cup and trivet, nice find!

I find it funny when a seller tells the buyers that something is desirable but in this case, they were right.

6. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Neat find, similar to my 16's except for the burner, love the external NRV's. Looking at the top of the burner, does it need two caps or just a top cap?
    Duane

7. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    :thumbup: @Doc Mark

Well! That is a spectacular re-emergence from the wilderness of work... What a beautiful stove.

I hope you are able to get the missing burner parts to make it complete.

Cheers

Tony

8. MrAlexxx

MrAlexxx Subscriber

I like it. Great find. :)

9. threedots New Zealand

Nice stove Doc and in beautiful condition as well.
    Looks like it hasn't had that much use.
    I like the burner as well.
    It would be good if you could get hold of the missing parts and get it going again.
    Cheers, John

10. Funfundfunfzig

Great to see such a wonderful piece of stove history in the hands of someone who saw its true value!

Thanks for sharing theory of it!

11. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Good Morning, Gents,

Many thanks for all the kind words about this very neat old SVEA! As soon as I saw it, I knew it was a special stove, and I'm happy to share it here. A huge thanks to Kerophile, because of his very kind and sharing ways, and for all the excellent work he has done in helping to date these stoves!! George, the neat old "Corona" silent cap that you sent my way, many years ago, fits this SVEA like it was made for it!!!! So, now, I have to find a way to make a proper inner cap, and this stove will flame again!! I'm not in a huge hurry, but do very much look forward to seeing this stove working again. We've talked about another CASG, possibly in the Fall, and that would be a great place to put this Old Timer to work. I'll bet it works a treat! Thanks, again, for the great Corona cap, and for all the other sharing you have done on CCS. MUCH appreciated!

Also, thanks for Trevor and Ian for their work on further dating of these stoves. Excellent stuff, all around!!! Talk soon, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc