Svea 15 c.1910

Discussion in 'Svea No:15' started by igh371, Oct 21, 2016.

1. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

DSC04820.JPG

An older example of a Svea 15 dating most likely from only very shortly after c.1908. The key feature is the early format of tank bottom stamp with 'PATENT' across the centre where 'MADE IN SWEDEN' was placed later. All of the other examples of this sort of tank bottom marking that I have seen have been with the pre-c.1908 type of pump assembly with the leather backstop behind the cup carrier. This one has the post-1908 'standard' pump assembly, but in an early form where non of the components are either slotted or hexagon sided; hence I'm guessing at a date only a few years after 1908. The pump tube cap carries the Nybergs Patent Sundbyberg legend and the tank sides the large Cyrillic panel. Unfortunately the burner is a much later substitute.

DSC04815.JPG DSC04816.JPG DSC04817.JPG DSC04818.JPG DSC04819.JPG

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Another very well presented early Swedish stove.

@igh371

You must have amassed a fair few of these by now...

Cheers

Tony

3. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Another piece of the jigsaw to build up the picture of these early stoves.
    I love the engravings on these Svea stoves, so bold and so unusual.
    You mention that the original burner has been replaced. Is the trivet original?

4. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

Details of the pump carrier components, brass cup holder without slots, 2 round steel rings with threaded centre holes:
    DSC04822.JPG DSC04823.JPG DSC04825.JPG

@shagratork - very difficult to say whether some Svea stove cast iron trivets are original or not; there are some cast trivets which do include the Svea name, but far more seem to come with one or other of the 'unbranded' proprietory types which were also used on Optimus stoves of the same period. This example has one of the unbranded types:
    DSC04828.JPG

5. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Hi Ian

As you did not specifically mention the trivet I presumed it might be a later addition.
    But it is an old cast iron trivet and as such it is a real plus for the stove.